Please Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your very kind messages. I have been leaving food out on the floor and what Pikey will do is eat a small bit when we wake up or when I get home at night and then no more. As for the food, the vet won't let me go back to the food you mentioned which was perfect. She insists I give him this IAMS "intestinal low residue" food in cans. What I've been doing is adding water and then mashing it up until its almost a liquid and then feeding it to him in the syringe. It means I have to give him at least 20 or 30 syringe fulls per session. Speaking of which, its that time again. By the way, I'm glad to hear that the cat you force-fed for 2 months is alright. It gives me hope.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might talk to the vet about mixing the food with a different liquid, like Rebound or CatSure. That way you may be able to feed fewer syringefuls since you'd be diluting the food with a caloric liquid rather than water.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Johnny, what about putting this canned in a blender or food processor before you add any water. I did this with some canned food and it turned very watery.

Hang in there. Things will and are getting better. You have done an amazing job taking care of your friend. He will come back around to his old self. All the best to you and Pikey.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^^^Yes, what she said. I've done it before, it is very smooth and watery that way, goes in/out the syringe easily. Go to walmart and buy a cheap blender if you don't have one. Mine cost $14, you don't need a high power one, it's just for wet cat food.

Also, try giving him a gob of NutriCal or Hairball meds once a day, or every other day, it works well for constipation. My cat got constipated while recovering from surgery, and the vet didn't seem concerned at all, I was worried because he hadn't pooed in 4ish days. I thought and thought and came up with NutriCal/Hairball meds. One of the main ingredients in these products is various oils, and it reallly works, my cat pooed a few hours later. Now I use it at the first sign of constipation!

Good luck, and please don't feel so down. While he may not understand what is going on he knows that you love him. He knows you care. And he WILL forget about the meds/force feeding, I promise. Animals are very forgiving by nature. Even cats.

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wrote a long update and it completely disappeared. Too busy to retype it. Pikey still hanging in there. Starting to eat SMALL bits of IAMS kitten food on his own. I'm still force-feeding him a can of "intestinal" cat food a day.
Johnny

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that he is still ok.

It's actually a good sign that he is fighting you, is shows he has enough strength & will to fight, he hasn't gave up either.

Get well soon dear Pikey.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a thought earlier today about getting him to eat on his own. What if you offered him a meal right before you feed him, since that's the time he'd most likely be hungry anyway, and if he eats it he doesn't have to get forcefed? (Or, if he eats just a few bites, he gets to wait a few more minutes before getting fed.)

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that pikey will eat ANYTHING on his own is fantastic news. Kismet went over a month where she wouldn't touch any food, no matter what, and she started really slow, a few kibbles or treats a day (I continuted force feeding)

You are doing such an amazing job

for you and pikey

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I offer Pikey his kitty treats before I force-feed him and he usually goes for the treats and then nibbles just a bit at the IAMS kitten food I put out for him. One positive development is that I am pretty certain that he ate some kitten food from his regular cat bowl, which, if true, would really be a first and make me really excited. I take him back to the vet Monday, for follow-up blood tests. Hope all is well with all of you.
Johnny

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Johnny, I truly appreciate you sharing your journey with Pikey with us. I know it was rough at the beginning with some of the responses you got here, but I am sooooo glad you stuck it through.

I've been thinking bout Pikey the whole time.... You are doing an amazing job and you should be commended for it.... these days too many people would not even TRY to help, they would euthanise instead.

Your thread has been very educational, and I'm glad, so glad, Pikey continues to improve.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read over all your posts, I am so sorry Pikey is feeling so ill! I hope they can figure out what the problem is

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words. Pikey did eat a bit out of his bowel this morning, but very little when I was at work. He is in good spirits and gaining weight back, but still not normal weight yet. They are not sure exactly what happened to Pikey, but they found somewhat elevated levels of fat at the pancreas and liver. They will check those Monday again. Also, he has been on antibiotics for almost two weeks for a slight bladder infection. He is going to the bathroom again normally. That was a major issue for the first two weeks. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks to all.
Johnny

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SUCH GREAT NEWS!! this thread has made me so happy! I'm so sorry for what you've gone through, but bless you for coming here and getting the information and saving Pikey! Thank you thank you thank you!

You continue to be in my thoughts

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Went to the vet today (Monday) and she ran more tests (blood). I was feeling fairly optimistic, although I still have to force-feed Pikey. The vet didn't sound so upbeat, however, saying that Pikey has elevated enzymes in the pancreas and liver and that is VERY serious. They were having computer problems with the blood test, so they are going to send Pikey's blood sample out and she said to expect results by Thursday.

Pikey threw up quite a bit when I got him home, but it may have been just the trauma of the vet and taking the blood which took the tech a bit as it wouldn't come out easy. Anyway, I just finished feeding (by syringe) him the prescription cat food and he seems rather cheerful. I would say that in terms of behavior, he is about 70% back to his old self again, but the vet really scared me today and I am gonna get a clarification when she calls me Thursday about his chances for survival long term. I will feed him through a syringe forever if need be. The little guy is really being such a good sport it just breaks your heart.
Johnny

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
when my Java decided to quit eating, i got her to start again by giving her people salmon [her favorite thing!]. i figured even tho that wasn't a 'complete' diet, she was at least eating something... eventually, she began eating her regular food again - altho she still enjoys getting salmon [wildside freeze dried] as an occasional treat.

is there any people food that Pikey is really fond of?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet can give you some good long-term news when you talk....Pikey is so lucky to have you, and my prayers continue for both of you.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just to give you a little more hope, kismets liver and pancreas enzymes came back badly for weeks, even once she started eating. Also I had Cello at the vets for a different reason and based on his blood work the vets thought he wasn't long for this world, well that was 2 years ago and he is happily purring away on my lap as we speak. If Pikey is 'acting' better, you will notice this, the vets won't, and that speaks volumes. Keep it up.

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement. Pikey is doing better. Monday, when I got him home, he threw everything up. That, combined with what the vet said, really had me worried. I'm happy to say that today and tonight, Pikey seems to be doing very well. Both this morning and especially tonight when I got home from work, he ate quite a bit of the IAMS kitten food I bought on his own, just like in days of old.

I am still gonna force-feed him now a container of baby food just to be on the safe side and then force-feed him tomorrow with the vet cat food again, but am I ever happy. He really does appear to be doing well. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the post. It really gives me hope, no matter what the blood test says tomorrow or Thursday.
Johnny

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the office workers at my animal care & control department told me about one of her cats, who had stopped eating when mom went off to visit her human daughter and her new grandaughter for a week (even though kitty had a pet sitter stopping in three times a day - all the other cats did fine, but this one was upset, apparently). The pet sitter had contacted the owner, and kitty was taken to the vet after two days, but still....this was one stubborn kitty about eating when her mom was MIA, I guess.

Anyway, this kitty was diagnosed with the liver issues and at first the outlook was grim. But,and who know why other than continued vet care and a lot of intensive care from the owner (like you), this cat did end up making a full recovery.