Please Help

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by roby22

If I put food on the roof of his mouth, he spits it right out. He finds food repulsive. I don't think there is much of a chance he will think, "this stuff is great" and start eating. Otherwise, he would be eating in the first place. When I force it down his throat, like a pill, at least I know the food is going into and remaining in his stomach. I've been told by several vets that cats don't really chew they food very much anyway. I'll try your suggestion again, but I'm honestly not very optimistic.
I will, however, make sure he gets an X-Ray tomorrow, which hopefully will tell what's up inside him. Also, perhaps some blood work done. All the best.
Johnny
The problem with forcing it down his throat is that he may aspirate it, and the food will end up in the lungs instead of the stomach. That can cause pneumonia and be very serious. Using the syringe to squirt the food up to the roof of his mouth should trigger him to swallow. When I have syringe fed, I have put the syringe in from the side and aimed upward.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try mixing water into the food first to make it a but soupier. Then you can dribble it into the cats mouth without them being able to push it back out. That's what I ended up doing for mine and while she hated it there was little chance of her spitting it out or choking on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Pikey is at the vet right now and I'm to call back two hours from now. He's gonna run more tests, give him an enema and probably an X-Ray. I'll let you all know what happens.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks everyone. Pikey is at the vet right now and I'm to call back two hours from now. He's gonna run more tests, give him an enema and probably an X-Ray. I'll let you all know what happens.
Did the vet have any idea of what could be?

Praying for your little one!!

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's running tests now and said that I should call him at noon which is an hour from now (Hawaii time). He originally thought it was hairballs and Pikey did cough up two small hairballs, but something is seriously wrong. I asked the vet if he was gonna make it and the vet said "I don't know, its not good that he hasn't eaten and that this has gone on for so long.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for Pikey and for you - if it were only a matter of love, your love would heal him immediately. Let's hope the vet and love can pull him through.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's running tests now and said that I should call him at noon which is an hour from now (Hawaii time). He originally thought it was hairballs and Pikey did cough up two small hairballs, but something is seriously wrong. I asked the vet if he was gonna make it and the vet said "I don't know, its not good that he hasn't eaten and that this has gone on for so long.
I would not give up on him - I am sorry, but your kitty not eating is half your vet's fault, who did nothing to find out what was wrong... IMO, if he says the kitty is not going to make it, I would take the kitty home and take care of him on my own; unless he gives me a VERY GOOD REASON not to - like cancer, or something else...
I am sorry... I am just not impressed with your vet...
to you, to both of you... Be strong...

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to do what I could. There are not a lot of vets on this island. I have no idea who is good and not good. Before this, the only reason he ever went to the vet was for his shots, dental hygiene and yearly physicals. He is only four years old. I am so sad beyond belief. He was my closest friend and the most important thing in my life.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing the best you can - and we all don't live where we can pick and choose from vets...and at four years old, well, a heck of a lot of pets, even in the areas with vets every half-mile haven't had a lot of professional care. Besides, it's hard to know which vet/doctor will be the absolute best for you. All we can do is try our best, and you've done that.

You love Pikey, you are doing everything and checking every resource available to you - that's truly love.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

You are doing the best you can - and we all don't live where we can pick and choose from vets...and at four years old, well, a heck of a lot of pets, even in the areas with vets every half-mile haven't had a lot of professional care. Besides, it's hard to know which vet/doctor will be the absolute best for you. All we can do is try our best, and you've done that.

You love Pikey, you are doing everything and checking every resource available to you - that's truly love.
Don't lose hope... We are all praying for you... I know how it feels... my three kitties are my reason for waking up in the morning everyday

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Pikey: Just talked briefly to the vet and he said that the blood tests showed a slightly lower white blood cell count. They are going to look at his digestive tract next, since he is not eating.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Johnny, you and Pikey are in our thoughts and prayers this afternoon. What a rough week this has been for you...Sending you the best of TCS prayers and vibes that Pikey makes a speedy recovery

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. The doctor says he will call me at work later this afternoon.
Johnny

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm cheering for Pikey from over here! I hope the vet can find out what's wrong and that it will be something treatable!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Johnny,

I am hoping you have gotten some word on Pikey's condition by now. If it turns out it is not an intestinal blockage due to a hairball, please ask him about pancreatitis. My big furry boy Stomper went through a similar ordeal as your Pikey - right down to the enema as well. (very indepth thread about it http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=pancreatitis )

He was finally diagnosised with triaditis w/ chronic pancreatitis, as well as the gallstones which had to be removed. He still has bad episodes and I almost had him euthanized in February, but we got him through it. Management is the key for him. He is doing great now, so you keep your hope up for Pikey. cats are amazingly resilient.

Making sure Pikey eats is of prime importance, especially if he is even a little overweight. ( please note that the vast majority of housecats are overweight. We are used to seeing them this way and think a healthy weight cat is too thin). However if his intestines are blocked assit feeding will only cause him to vomit.

There are medicines which will stimulate appetitie and if Pikey is not blocked then you most certainly should as your vet about them. If he still will not eat then having an E-Tube surgically placed is an option you should consider. I just had one for my Conan, who didn't eat for five days. We were watching his bloodwork and I was giving him daily fluids. Normally I would not let a cat go 5 days, any of my others no way, but Conan is a skinny cat and Hepatic Lipidosis was not as much of a worry as what else was going on.

E-tubes are easy and cats adapt to them very quickly.

An interesting note, you can force feed a starved cat too much too quickly. My vet said to feed Conan only 1/3 of a can of food a day for 3 days. Cats can get on overfeeding syndrome which causes I think a phosporus...maybe potassium (can remember which) spike which can be deadly. This was the first I had heard of this and I am pretty on top of things. If they start eating on their own, this won't happen, only with assisted feeding. Something I meant to look up the research on and haven't yet.

Sending lots of vibes that Pikey just needed an enema and that he is on the mend now.

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
very good info you guys. I'm off to work now, but will look into all this more when I get home later tonight

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for your little Pikey! I had a cat who ate a TINY piece of a hard foam toy and became blocked. His symptoms were similar to Pikey's. It took two surgeries in our case, but Mickey is doing fine.

I hope Pikey will be okay.

roby22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aloha Everyone!
Its 9 AM here and the clinic where Pikey spent the night just opened. I just got off the phone with the doctor and he still has not figured out what's wrong with Pikey.
The said he took a normal X-Ray which didn't show anything and tried to give him a barium enema for those X-Rays and said Pikey threw up the barium, so he will try to do that today with less barium. He also mentioned he gave Pikey an antacid which helped at lot and that he became more perky. The doctor also said he will attempt to feed him again today.
The bottom line is I am not totally happy with this doctor, but its still better than me trying to find out what's wrong. I feel soooo sorry for the poor little guy. Wish him well. I'll update as soon as I know more.
Johnny

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aloha Everyone!
Its 9 AM here and the clinic where Pikey spent the night just opened. I just got off the phone with the doctor and he still has not figured out what's wrong with Pikey.
The said he took a normal X-Ray which didn't show anything and tried to give him a barium enema for those X-Rays and said Pikey threw up the barium, so he will try to do that today with less barium. He also mentioned he gave Pikey an antacid which helped at lot and that he became more perky. The doctor also said he will attempt to feed him again today.
The bottom line is I am not totally happy with this doctor, but its still better than me trying to find out what's wrong. I feel soooo sorry for the poor little guy. Wish him well. I'll update as soon as I know more.
Johnny
Jonny - this kitty NEEDS to eat... Can this doctor tube feed him for the time being? He is "attempting" to feed him? He should BE feeding him, and not attempting to it. What about fluids? is the doctor giving him fluids?
Hang in there... wishing you both all the best