Please help with Felix again?! New behavior?

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also Prozac takes at least 3 weeks to start to have any effect on a human - so I assume it can take a while for a cat too. It's not a quick fix! Give it time to work :vibes:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also Prozac takes at least 3 weeks to start to have any effect on a human - so I assume it can take a while for a cat too. It's not a quick fix! Give it time to work
I was going to say the same thing.  Prozac in cats can take 2 weeks or longer to be effective.  You need to give it longer.  I know that you want a quick fix and are very frustrated by this, yet medication takes time. 

His household has been turned upside down with the kittens now in his territory.  He is doing ok with the kittens, but redirecting the aggression on you and your boyfriend.  He needs time and proper care.  If Prozac doesn't work, there are other meds to try.  Just like in humans, not all drugs work. 

Are you taking Felix to the vet or is this all being done on the phone? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the phone we are unable to get him to the vet due to his aggression today I literally got kicked out of my house due to him I had to use the squirt bottle because there was no other way to me get out the door.
I'm not sure if we are able to keep him much longer unfortunately

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He also lifted his tail and aimed towards me to try and pee on me but got it on the counter so once I am able to go home I will be able to clean the mess that's on the house

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He really needs to be seen by a vet.  So what are you going to do with him?  If you wear thick gloves and throw a blanket over him you can get him into a carrier.  He truly needs to be seen by a vet.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree he needs to go to the vet, he could be acting out because he is un well he could be in pain for example. Don't give up on him yet! Good luck

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felix absolutely needs to see the vet again. Such a drastic behaviour change with no obvious trauma to trigger it is very worrying to me.

Regarding the Prozac - it takes SIX WEEKS to reach maximum effect in his system, though you should see some improvement in around 4 weeks. I'm talking weeks NOT days. You have to give this type of medication time to work. It's not a quick fix.

He needs to see a vet ASAP - today if possible. I'm concerned there could be something serious wrong.

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, @kelly101  

Just realised you're having a similar issue like I did a while ago.. 

Long story short: My mother got into the hospital because Grizzly attacked her.. Really severe wounds.. We divided our appartment in half so that my Grizzly would not get in touch with my mother. She risked infecting her wounds. She was understandably super scared of Grizzly, too.. 

We tried a bunch of stuff to help calm him down:
  • We tried giving an antistress pill - I managed to make him take it only a few times in a few days.. The pill had some effect on him, but since he was successfully avoiding it.. The results were inconclusive.
  • I played with him on regular times druing the day - It worked up to a point.. It still works
  • I stopped free feeding him - Now he eats on schedule. This has helped a lot. Mostly with my night sleep. But cannot do anything about the fact that he wakes up with the roosters 
     (painfuly early!)
  • We also brought a behaviorist
We had problems about his reactions to loud noises too. But I now conclude that those over-the-top reactions were being magnified by the fact that he was already in a stressfull period. Now, when there's a loud noise, he reacts normally - like, freezes for a while, walking really low and hides for a little bit. Then I go to him, pick him up and begin to pet him to show there's nothing wrong. He calms down in no time.

He reacted really badly around the mop, the broom.. anything with a stick - he didn't have a problem with them before.. He started having this issue a little while before the incident with my mother. Now, he's fine. He gets a bit "anxious", but doesn't reach the point of attacking or manifesting any kind of aggression.. I just let him approach it, every time I use it. 

I could go on and on.. The thing is that I realised that it's our energy they pick up. If we are in stress, they get stressed. When we are not afraid of what they might do, they stay calm. If you show them, you're afraid, they look for a reason, so they become anxious and thus, aggressive.

This incident I am talking about, took place on the 24th of July (this year). Until about a month ago, our appartment remained divided in half. My mother and Grizzly had only been in the same room 3 times, maybe..

In those 3 times, my mother was in "alert mode".. So, Grizzly demonstrated a frustrating behavior.. Playful at first, but testing her limits afterwards.. 

In the meantime I got into the hospital (not because of Grizzly!).. When I got out, my mother was DETERMINED that this couldn't go on anymore. So, she sat on the sofa and we let Grizzly approach her.. That was it. Since then, Grizzly has been great to her. He hasn't demonstrated any aggressive behaviour.. He does bite though. But I've concluded, he bites only to play. Not because he's aggressive. This is something we need to work on.

Some rare times, he's exhibited the well known posture of aggression (hunched back, head low etc) I show to him that I am not taking him seriously. I actually talk to him and I'm like 'Really?? You don't say!!" And he IMMEDIATELY quits the posture and sits on his butt. That's it. Nothing happened.

I don't know the reasons why your cat demonstrates such behaviour. Maybe the other cats? (Grizzly is the only cat in the house - still, he sent my mother to the hospital!).  The fact that he seems uncomfortable with your boyfriend might mean that your boyfriend is so fed up with your cat's behaviour, that your cat can actually "feel" his frustration. So, he becomes aggressive. 

It seems to me that you're going through everything my mother and I went through the summer.. And it ain't pretty. I know. But your feelings are chanelled into your cat. It's not your fault. It's understandable you feel frustrated, tired, alert all the time, tip-toeing so that nothing falls or breaks, in case your cat gets frightened again. Believe me, when I say  I KNOW!

Try to spent some quality time with him and the rest of the cats. And play-dates with him alone. Sweet-talk him in the process. Make loud noises a part of your everyday life (don't go too far, though) and combine them with positive activities.. Like playing, petting, sweet-talking.. Don't get all "wound up" when you hear a noise. Remain calm and if you see him getting "mad" and "frustrated", try to sweet-talk him, lower your body to him and speak to him "It's OK..! No worries! It was nothing..! You're alright!" If he keeps being in that state, try to confine him alone in a room. No other cats. Not you. Just him, his water, his food and his litter.. He'll calm down.. Let him out with a delicious treat. You can also do that after a loud noise and AFTER he's calmed down. Only when he's calm, cause you wanna reward that behaviour. Not the fear and not the temper.

It takes a lot of effort and it takes time. If you do it right, you'll be done before you  know it. Like it happened with us.