Please help with Felix again?! New behavior?

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I was on this forum about my male Felix and the kittens everyone had helped me out so much! I could a little more help! I have figured that Felix most definitely uses his redirected aggression towards us and we've gotten better with it. However the other day I was in the bathroom with all three cats, the kittens and Felix get along great! I got tangled in between all of them, one got scared and knocked over a few things, and the trash can, one I think got their tail stepped on or stuck? It was a freak accident that lasted a second a simple trip and you catch yourself, it scared Felix to death and he started viciously attacking me to the point I couldn't get him off. I'm left with multiple deep wounds and black and blue bruises, I have pictures to show. This morning he scared himself by knocking over a trash can had that scared look again and started to growl and hiss at me and almost attacked me again, I shooed him away with my towel and he snapped out of it quick, he always does.

However, my boyfriend and I are starting grow tired of being left with such severe wounds. If these where small scratches it'd be one thing. But these draw blood and a lot of it. I understand if he is scared but we can't keep getting viciously attacked every time :(

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can take months to stop redirecting their aggression—it's been only three weeks with you. It often takes up to six months of concentrated effort for this issue to stop, and even then it can reoccur. The key here is to avoid triggering his aggression, because every time you do you may have to begin the desensitizing/reintroduction process again. And gathering all the cats and yourself in a tiny space where accidents are bound to happen (especially with two kittens in the mix) is not helping to avoid triggers.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They where already in there when I was, I tried getting out hence being tangled in between them. And if he scares himself there's nothing I can do about that, he attacked when he scared himself this morning. We are extremely cautious to not scare him but accidents happen. I want to plan a family in the next year or two and with his behavior like this it makes it hard.
I've lost all my trust in him after these attacks. The last one nearly got me in the hospital.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly feel sorry for you, and for him to be that scared that he does this. To me, it sounds like he may be anxious a lot of the time and freaks out. Cats hate any kind of change, so give him a year to calm down, really, that is how long it takes sometimes. For now, I would hate for you to start  hating him, so you might consider some 'calming' treats that I find on Amazon for cats. They calm mine down for vet visits and are like a miracle. He made need to get the edge off,  these are like like a kitty prozac. You might call your vet and see if he recommends anything else or would approve of this. It would be better to try it then to rehome this beautiful cat that just needs time. I agree with you, you shouldn't have to be beat up in your own home, I would give the treats a try. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I was to regime him he'd be put down :( he was a shelter kitty that we recused a year ago, they said he was 5 I believe he is a little older we understand this change is hard for him so we've been giving him extra more love and treats and then for this to happens makes us a little discouraged is all. Everyone else has been telling us to get rid of him and I just can't do it. I'm going to look into something to calm him but I fear that he will need these for the rest of his life? And I just don't want that for him.

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's important to remember that this isn't his fault. He's not doing it on purpose--it's a very natural, instinctive reaction to his current surroundings. And it takes time, dedication, and love to get him to a point where he feels safe again, at all times. In another home he might not have this problem at all, especially if he is the only cat. This is a reaction to the kittens, and until he feels safe around them, his aggression will be triggered. 

He definitely doesn't deserve to have his life ended. I like the idea of asking a trusted vet about the issue.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had him for a year. He adores the kittens and even plays with them. His reaction to them is better than we thought! It's only during something that scares him directly or the other cats and it causes a chaos.
He gets over it quickly, but then again the attacks are brutal leave bruises and blood. It doesn't happen all the time and id hate to waste my money on a vet to tell me that he needs to medications. He never did any of this until we had the kittens we know he is scared and confused which is why we've been giving him extra love and attention.but like I said before when he goes and attacks you like he did to me, it makes you scared and fearful and lose trust in him.
I'm just wondering if this is a phase or long term. That's my fear and what I'm trying to figure out.

Last edited:

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This here is Felix our old man. He was always a lover. Like I mentioned in my older post he attacks like a feral cat, this is how he will be after the attack he'll act like nothing happened. And he was always a little more nervous, he was shelter cat, but never attacked us. I understand that now with more cats its different for him and we are trying are hardest to not get frustrated with him and give him the same amount of love.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using any Feliway diffusers around your home?  You will need them in the room where he hangs with the kittens and other areas of the home.  It is quite useful.

Also Composure calming treats or calming liquid works very well.  Some cats don't like the taste of the treats so the liquid is easier to mix into wet food.  I had a very territorial aggressive feral cat that brought into my home.  Composure liquid max was a life saver for him. I started with the treats, but I needed to give him 3-6 per day and he didn't like them very much.  You can find Feliway and composure on Amazon or Entirelypets.com

Have you tried playing with Felix in a space of his own?  Play therapy is a true confidence builder.  Yet it takes time and effort on your part.  The theory is hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep.  You want a really good wand toy such as the da bird or a laser pointer or a toy where you can really get him moving.  Even a simple string.  You want him to play and get into the play where he can act out the hunt, catch, and kill of his prey.  Next you want to offer him a small special snack or small meal.  Something special to satisfy the eat.  Next he will groom himself and take a nap if the play session was long enough.  This can be done multiple times each day. 

It is disheartening to hear of you talking of others telling you to get rid of Felix.  When I brought the feral cat into my home, it was a solid year before their was peace in my home.  I had another cat as well as a large dog.  It was a difficult time.  Yet I made the commitment to help these animals and sending one away was not ever an option. 

You have no idea what Felix went through in his life before you.  He is very scared and unsettled.  Even though he is gentle and likes the kittens, his life has been turned upside down.  It can take a very long time for this to stop.  Another step is to contact your vet for help.  THere are prescription medications available that can help too.  Yet do your research as they are often personality changers. 

This process will not be easy.  If you work on playing with Felix with a wand toy that is held at arms length it might help him.  You might also back off on the introductions for awhile and see if things calm down.  Separate the cats completely.  It might have been too much too soon for Felix.

I am sorry this is happening, but after only a few weeks it is not uncommon at all. 

smulan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Cats can take months to stop redirecting their aggression—it's been only three weeks with you. It often takes up to six months of concentrated effort for this issue to stop, and even then it can reoccur. The key here is to avoid triggering his aggression, because every time you do you may have to begin the desensitizing/reintroduction process again. And gathering all the cats and yourself in a tiny space where accidents are bound to happen (especially with two kittens in the mix) is not helping to avoid triggers.  
I agree with that, you need to give it more time.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pictures of my wounds I have kept. I wouldn't say he's territorial. He lays with the kittens and cleans them, he'll even share his food. He lets them play with him and sometimes he'll even try to play with them. I have multiple toys however he's never played with toys or liked treats. Any ideas for cats who don't like either? I have been giving him extra love and attention. I made safe zones for him that he only goes on. If we separate them then he attack us. It's during stressful moments for him or things that scare him, but he's always been a little skidish, and now he's always looking to attack. I agree I don't know what he went through before hand, I don't want him to be on medications I'm wondering if this is something that will pass or not.
I wouldn't mind if it his attacks weren't so bad, however like I mentioned two days ago I nearly went to the hospital from it, I'm willing to give him all the time he needs but I can't be abused in my own house any more :( it's been three days since this attack and my body is still sore and recovering

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you read this thread?  [thread="302485"]My Cat Literally Slashed My Mother Please Help​[/thread]   Unfortunantly, there is no conclusion to it. But it sounds like a similar kind of situation. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have pictures of my wounds I have kept. I wouldn't say he's territorial. He lays with the kittens and cleans them, he'll even share his food. He lets them play with him and sometimes he'll even try to play with them. I have multiple toys however he's never played with toys or liked treats. Any ideas for cats who don't like either? I have been giving him extra love and attention. I made safe zones for him that he only goes on. If we separate them then he attack us. It's during stressful moments for him or things that scare him, but he's always been a little skidish, and now he's always looking to attack. I agree I don't know what he went through before hand, I don't want him to be on medications I'm wondering if this is something that will pass or not.
I wouldn't mind if it his attacks weren't so bad, however like I mentioned two days ago I nearly went to the hospital from it, I'm willing to give him all the time he needs but I can't be abused in my own house any more :( it's been three days since this attack and my body is still sore and recovering

The composure is not a medication. It is a non sedating calming supplement. It would be worth trying.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this something you think I will need to give him as a long term thing?

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just now my boyfriend and I where laying on couch laughing joking around and Felix jumps on the couch and starts hissing and attacking again. I'm sad that he's this stressed out and uncomfortable that he needs to attack us, especially because i get so scared being at home alone and that he'll attack me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just now my boyfriend and I where laying on couch laughing joking around and Felix jumps on the couch and starts hissing and attacking again. I'm sad that he's this stressed out and uncomfortable that he needs to attack us, especially because i get so scared being at home alone and that he'll attack me.
I gave the Composure for 6 months.  I started with 1/2 t. in the morning and 1/4 t. in the evening.  After a few months, I weaned it down to 1/4 t. 2x a day and then down to 1/4 t. once a day and then no more. 

Since you know that loud noises are really bothering and scaring him, you may need to be very cautious for a bit.  When was the last time he was to the vet for a check up?  It might be a good idea to be sure he is physically ok.  The vet also might be able to help you.

I feel very badly for this situation. 

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was always fine until the kittens came along, I'd hate to stress him out more with taking him to the vet. He just seems so upset at everything it hurts us. Also I'm feeling bit on a time crunch, my boyfriend is growing tired of his attacks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really have nothing left to say. This is not going to be solved quickly. You owe it to Felix to do whatever you can for him. Introductions take time. I feel very sorry for Felix. What is your boyfriend doing to help the situation? When you have pets its your responsibility to care for them.

This is going to take work from you both. What about calling the vet and asking for help. What about a cat behaviorist?

So I gather your boyfriend wants to return Felix to the shelter. That is just sad beyond words. You know what will happen if he is returned.

I truly hope you choose to work with this situation and get your boyfriend on the same page. Please call your vet. Composure also helps with the stress of vet visits.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town, so most thing out here when it comes to pets who have to take it to your own hands. Behaviorist is out of the question here. With one main vet office they don't deal with a lot of cases. I've ordered composure and I'm hoping that's going to work, I've heard it working wonders so I'm being positive until then.
I think a lot of frustration is that he's fine with the kittens now but still attacks us, makes my boyfriend discouraged and sad because we know he's confused and scared with the new life. The vet will give us Prozac for cats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a small town, so most thing out here when it comes to pets who have to take it to your own hands. Behaviorist is out of the question here. With one main vet office they don't deal with a lot of cases. I've ordered composure and I'm hoping that's going to work, I've heard it working wonders so I'm being positive until then.
I think a lot of frustration is that he's fine with the kittens now but still attacks us, makes my boyfriend discouraged and sad because we know he's confused and scared with the new life. The vet will give us Prozac for cats.
Try the Composure first.  It may take a few days to get fully into his system.  Mix it really well with his wet food.  Some cats will just lap it up without being mixed into food.  Mixing in tuna liquid works too.  Start with 1/2 t. ( doubled the dose which is recommended) in the morning and then at night you can either give the doubled dose ( 1/2 t.) or just give 1/4 t. 

Many people use Prozac for short time with their cats.  It can work very well once you find the correct dosage.  Yet often at first the cat is very lethargic.  Yet it is another option and usually is only needed for short time.

Please update when you can.  I am really rooting for Felix.