Please Help. Persian kitten has problem in New home ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have just adopted a 10 weeks old persian kitten. We have the following issues with him:

- His poop remains in his butt and doesn't come out complete: We brought him to vet and he gave him laxative as he was also a bit constipated. the problem has not solved. We trimmed his anus area but he can't poop very well yet and he doesn't groom it. poo is EVERYWHERE around the home.

- He is constantly shivering. He lays on his back and his paws are very shaky.: his temperature is fine 38.2 !

- He keeps going to litter box and sleep there and meowing.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I can't address the poop issue too much since I've never experienced it, the 2nd two I can.

Shivering can be normal, just from excitement or the kitten being too cool. Do you have soft beds for him to lay in? Maybe one with a heating element of some kind? I remember our girl used to shiver sometimes when she came to us at 16 weeks old and yours is even younger. It also could be because he isn't feeling well too. I used to wrap mine up in a blanket and hold her near me for a while and eventually the shivering would stop.

The laying in the litter box most of the time is done because it kind of comforts them to be surrounded by their own scent. I see a LOT of kittens do this in adoption events. They aren't comfortable in the environment, being in a cage etc. I think as your kitten gets more used to living in your home this will stop. Just gently lift him out of the box and put him elsewhere when he does this - you don't want him to become adverse to the box, just to understand sleeping in it isn't an option.

How long have you had him with you? This matters too. So much is different for him. Personally, I would take the kitten back to the vet. Or go for a 2nd opinion. Was a fecal done to be sure he doesn't have any type of parasite? Or did you switch foods too soon from what he was eating? I hope he's from a reputable breeder since you mention him being Persian. You could contact them and see if they can give any tips for dealing with loose stools. If he was not from a reputable breeder I'd be more concerned since they aren't known for keeping kittens in good health.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be calici virus. It can cause shaking. I just went through this with 2 new kittens in my care. One shook but not the other but both had it. He probably feels awful and may need fluids and pain meds. Watch this video and see the vet asap:

Limping Calici — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted! B bobak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be calici virus. It can cause shaking. I just went through this with 2 new kittens in my care. One shook but not the other but both had it. He probably feels awful and may need fluids and pain meds. Watch this video and see the vet asap:

Limping Calici — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted! B bobak
Thank you all for the answer. OMG, My cat is indeed just limping now and he can't stand on his left back leg out of sudden. He is standing on three legs only .I'm going to call my vet asap to follow up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An IR heating lamp is often useful to get them some extra warmth. And the sick ones usually do feel frozen, no? Raw goats milk cant hurt, may help, it have some protective properties both for this and that. I think L-lysine is supposed to help some.
Of course, do contact your vet. Or another vet if you arent feeling confidence with the first one.

B bobak

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My kittens needed fluids, an anti-inflammatory, and a pain med. I also syringe fed Gerber chicken baby food. The acute stage lasted 2-3 days. With proper care they bounce back quickly. Please keep us posted.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the answer. OMG, My cat is indeed just limping now and he can't stand on his left back leg out of sudden. He is standing on three legs only .I'm going to call my vet asap to follow up.
This sounds quite concerning. Can you get him to an ER today if your vet can't see him? IOur vet is open Sundays but does close early. I personally would not let this go another day if he suddenly can't stand - it does now sound like he needs rather immediate medical attention.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 You really saved us, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
quick update : I just brought him to vet as soon as I noticed the problem (shivering and severe pain in his leg). Basically he can't put his leg on the ground and always lift it up.
I called my vet and he told me to wait for a few hours but I told him that I am suspicious to virus so he asked me to come right away.
He xrayed the leg and couldn't find any injury but his poor feet is extremely inflated. He prescribed a pain killer and anti-inflammatory medicine. He was not sure about the virus , but he suggested to give him wet food only (which we always did) and also change his litter box from sand to wood so it doesn't block his anus (as he used to sleep in a litter).
I noticed he can't find the food on his own so when he is hungry , I bring the food close to his nose and touch his lips a bit. Then he starts to eat. I also put a matt close to his litter, so now, he doesn't sleep in his litter anymore. I also syringe a bit of water in his mouth.
I am also thinking now that this is a calici

He is still very weak and shaky and I feel extremely sad for him. I really hope he recovers soon. I don't know how dangerous could be the situation.

Thank you everybody and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 especially for your advices. Please let me know if there is anything I can do more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m glad you got him to the vet! I do not think wood chips are a good idea at all, especially if his foot is sore.

Did they give you any meds to bring home?

Your kitten sounds dehydrated, so mix up some water with honey and a sprinkle of salt. It’s a homemade electrolyte solution that works well. Give 1-2 mLs at a time —- slowly and in the side of his mouth so he does not choke or aspirate.

If he does not show signs of improvement or gets worse, go back to the vet for more meds and sub-q fluids tomorrow.

If he is eating that is a good sign.

Also, not all vets are familiar with limping calici, so it’s good you insisted he be seen. I hope your kitten begins to feel better soon.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
He has indeed a bit of problem with the wood chips as he can't move the chips with his leg. So the vet gave me 9 Morphine based pain killer syringes (3 times per day) and also anti-inflation medicine. He advised to give him these meds for 3-5 days and see if there are signs of improvements.I just used the first pain killer and it calm him down.
He didn't tell how long would it take for a full recovery. I have a question:
How many times I have to give him the fluid/day ? and I am wondering Does the situation affect his delectation in this period or they face difficulties during this period ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get rid of the chips and put regular soft litter back, especially since he is no longer sleeping in it.

I would give the pain killer 2x per day instead of 3. That is, every 12 hours. See how he does. I say this because opioids cause constipation and also knock the cat out. What is the name of it?

How often are you to give the anti-inflammatory? What is the name of it?

I would syringe 1-2 mLs every 2-3 hours during waking hours. If your kitten eats well, there is moisture in the wet food and less to worry about. If he is just licking his food or only eating 2-3 bites, he really needs the fluids, and you may want to buy the baby food for him. If he will lap the baby food that is good. If not, you may want to syringe it.

The point here is to keep him hydrated and protein in his system for fuel and so meds are not given on an empty stomach, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright I switch back to the previous soft litter asap.

I don't have the name of the pain killer as he prepared the syringe and gave it to me. Is it possible that he reduced the dose ?

The name of the anti-inflammatory is meloxidyl. I have to give him once a day at 4 pm for a period of 5 days. Tonight I couldn't give any. I will start from tomorrow. I live in Belgium, so It may have another trade name for N/A.

I give him Royal Canin mother & baby cat wet food. Its ultra soft mouse. Seems like he can't smell the food very well but as soon as I put the first bite in his mouth,he starts to eat the rest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do read every single post, thank you!

The Royal Canin mousse is excellent. You probably cannot get the human Gerber food in Belgium. Perhaps you have an equivalent? If the mousse works that is fine!

The meloxidyl is perfect! It should only be once per day. I am familiar with this drug. It is excellent!

The pain killer will only be a kitten-sized appropriate dose regardless. Give it 3 times for now; If your kitten seems to be improving AFTER the first 3 doses, give the 4th dose then back off to every 12 hours. Use your judgement, but opioids are strong and sometimes better to give less for longer. You’ll know.

Your English is excellent. We are on different time zones but I will continue to check in and advise you unless I am sleeping on Florida, USA, time.

Last edited:

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much. You are really a nice person.

I was quite worried for this kitten. When we decided to buy him from a couple with 4 kittens, we went for a first visit, he was already constipated but I thought that would be normal.
When we brought him to our home yesterday, he started to play directly and he was happy. But I noticed he struggles with Defecation. His stool remained on his butt and got dried. So I thought it must be a constipation. We brought him to vet and he gave him laxative. So he started to poo all around the home.
The next morning ( today) we realized his limping issue.
Furthermore, I realized just now that he is still struggling with Defecation. He makes a bit of noise when he tries to poop and finally nothing comes out (just a little bit remains in his anus) Then His anus gets blocked with dried stool and sand. So I wipe it off with a warm damp towel every time. I suppose this problem is regardless of his limping issue.

I hope we shouldn't do this for the rest of our life and at some point he starts to groom himself and poop normal.

But anyway, tomorrow I'm going to start with meloxidyl and x3 pain killer and reduce it to every 12 hours as you mentioned. I will keep you posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very good, and I think when your kitten gets well eventually he will have normal poops. First, he was dehydrated. Then the laxative was too much. Now he is ill and nothing is normal. Give it time. It could be a week or so. We shall see. Thank you for your very excellent care of him. He is also adjusting to being in a new environment without his mother or siblings. That is rough on a baby kitten.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Sarthur2 Sarthur2
I just had to go to vet (without cat) because I noticed he has a fever around 40. He suggested me to give him antibiotics. I asked him if it can be a fatal sickness and he said since he has many problems, anything is possible.

I actually feel a bit depressed as there is no sign of improvement and his feet is swollen more than even yesterday. I also don't want to overstress him as he is just new in the home and he panics a lot when we bring him out. I attached a photo of his feet.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I am not sure why his feet are so swollen, although calici virus can cause joint pain. I cannot think of anything that would cause this other than an injury. Which antibiotic did the vet give you?

Is your kitten eating well? Using the litter box?

Are you getting fluids into him?

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tablet is 50mg Amoxicillin . I have to give him a quarter of a pill every day. I hope this will help him to pass this period and he remains strong.

bobak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 He is eating half a can every time and still use litter box. but his feet is swelling and he sleeps all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.