Please Help Now!!!!

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could a MOD pls. answer this right away!!!

Angel was fine one minute then went on his scratching post and suddenly start salivating so much that he shook his head and saliva went shooting all around him, and dripping out of his mouth. I called the Emergency Vet and they told me it could be a number of things, such as a bad tooth, which is not the case he was just at the vet the other day all his teeth are fine, or may have eaten something he didnt like or anything else. and if it doesnt stop I could bring him in.

What could this might be? Pls. help me immediately?????

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a mod but I would be taking him straight to the vet NOW if he were mine. Even if it is nothing, I'd rather be embarrassed at rushing my cat in, when there's nothing wrong, than possibly losing my cat because I didn't take quick action.

Please keep us updated on his progress.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen this when one of the cats gets something distasteful in their mouths - usually medicine. It is very frightening to watch, I agree. Do you have any houseplants around that are not safe for cats that one of them could have eaten? Is there a way they could have gotten in to some thing like medication, or household supplies, something with a bad taste? Has the scratching post been treated with anything during household cleaning? Any thing like ant traps still on the floor somewhere? Look around where he has been within the few minutes previous to this happening and see if you can find something that looks out of place that he might have licked or bitten at or eaten. One thing to keep in mind - they salivate like that because of the taste - not necessarily because it is poison or something like that - so try and find anything that could be distasteful from a cat's perspective. Good luck, and keep a watch on him. I have found it effective to wash one of mine's mouth out with water (not an easy trick) to help stop the salivating.

Kathryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up in my med book and it says under Drooling (Hypersalivation) that mouth infections and foreign bodies in the mouth are accompanied by drooling.

He is no longer salivating just a little scared, mainly I think cause how I'm reacting. I tend to get very anxious and I know he's picking up on it.

Otherwise he's not doing it anymore. What could this be? I didnt see him swallow anything other than the treat I gave him.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be anything from something stuck in his mouth, gums, between his teeth or throat to things like poisoning from licking plants, household cleaners, antifreeze...

An immediate vet visit is a good idea.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kathryn41

I have seen this when one of the cats gets something distasteful in their mouths - usually medicine. It is very frightening to watch, I agree. Do you have any houseplants around that are not safe for cats that one of them could have eaten? Is there a way they could have gotten in to some thing like medication, or household supplies, something with a bad taste? Has the scratching post been treated with anything during household cleaning? Any thing like ant traps still on the floor somewhere? Look around where he has been within the few minutes previous to this happening and see if you can find something that looks out of place that he might have licked or bitten at or eaten. One thing to keep in mind - they salivate like that because of the taste - not necessarily because it is poison or something like that - so try and find anything that could be distasteful from a cat's perspective. Good luck, and keep a watch on him. I have found it effective to wash one of mine's mouth out with water (not an easy trick) to help stop the salivating.

Kathryn
I was with him the whole time, he was on my bed, took a treat, walked over to his post, jumped up, I turned my head to read, and looked up and there he was salivating.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One more comment - trying to identify the cause or the source will give you a better idea of how to proceed. If it becomes obvious what he might have got into, then you can also give that information to the vet and determine the best course of action, if one is required.

Kathryn

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

I was with him the whole time, he was on my bed, took a treat, walked over to his post, jumped up, I turned my head to read, and looked up and there he was salivating.
Hmmm, he did eat something right before - is it possible that the treat might have had a taste problem - perhaps the ingredients weren't fully mixed, or perhaps there was something on it. Take a look at the rest of the treats in the package and see if any of them look, smell different or have a different texture or something like that.

Kathryn

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I want to start by saying everythings ok, now!
Even so, I can't stop crying from what I just witnessed. How terrifying!

Secondly, but also as important, I love you guys, you are the greatest, and I mean that with all my heart, honestly. You answered me quicker and with more ideas than when I called the "Emergency Vet" office right before I posted. They asked what the emergency was, put me on hold for a 20 yr. long "minute" and came back to say "the doctor said.....".

Anyway, Angel is completely back to normal. He was hiding and now he's out and back in his room on his post very content.

Kathryn41: I must thank you utmost, when you mentioned about the medicines.

I failed to realize something. He has severe allergies to many ingredients in foods. The treats I give him are those Bonito Flakes, pure tuna shivers.

I normally give him his allergy transdermal gel on the tip of the inside of his ear, but, because he had just gotten them cleaned by the vet, this time I put it on his stomach area where there's no hair. So apparently, he had gone on his scratching post and was licking it, and that's when the salivating began.

I gave the medicine no thought since I always give it to him, just, this time it was in his tongues reach. Sorry I didn't think of it sooner. Kathryn41, thank you with all my love.

Kumbulu: I sincerely thank you as well for your concern, wisdom and prompt answering.

Still crying, out of relief I guess, but everything is now ok!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See you didn't need a mod after all.
It could be too that the treats may have expired, or even spoiled. That does happen sometimes, even in the best of cases. I am glad he is going to be okay, and you are right, he probably picked up your stress and that added to his confusion.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Cheryl,

I am so glad you found out what it was! Yes, I suspect that particular medicine tastes especally nasty, and I would probably salivate too!

You are very welcome, and I am glad that I could be of help. :-) I know how easy it is to panic when something happens to one of our beloved pets - believe me, I do it all the time too! We are so concerned about what is happening, and so worried about the possibilities that it is next to impossible to think clearly through what is going on. It is really an indication of just how much we love our cats - I know I would rather be sick myself than have anything happen to one of mine.

Lots of love and hugs back to you and to Angel! Now go and enjoy the rest of your Sunday worry free.:-)

love
Kathryn

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cheryl - Just picked up on this thread, VERY glad Angel's ok. Sounds like the meds he licked off his tummy tasted pretty bad, and the result was drooling, which is what cats will do when they have a bad taste in their mouths. But it's certainly frightening before you realize that's the cause!

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Hi Cheryl - Just picked up on this thread, VERY glad Angel's ok. Sounds like the meds he licked off his tummy tasted pretty bad, and the result was drooling, which is what cats will do when they have a bad taste in their mouths. But it's certainly frightening before you realize that's the cause!
Thanks for your concern and believe me frightening is putting it mildly. I appreciate your input, as always.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

I experienced the same thing at the vet the other day when my kitten was given a pill - I know *I* flipped out when I saw that, and I had a vet right by my side so I can't even imagine how you felt!

I'm glad everything is fine and the problem was solved!

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

See you didn't need a mod after all.
I am glad he is going to be okay, and you are right, he probably picked up your stress and that added to his confusion.
MA, don't even think I (we) don't need you mods, you guys were actually my second phone call this morning. Thanks for your empathy and concern.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I experienced the same thing at the vet the other day when my kitten was given a pill - I know *I* flipped out when I saw that, and I had a vet right by my side so I can't even imagine how you felt!

I'm glad everything is fine and the problem was solved!
Isn't it scary? I never knew they do that, it never happened before with Angel.

For a minute there I thought Angel turned into Cujo!!!! (Sure, now I can joke about it, right.)