Please help me :)

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I am hoping someone could help me. My darling baby girl Misty (who isn't much of a baby anymore) is pregnant. I mean very pregnant. I do not know how far along and I have never had a cat ever get pregnant. Anyways, we had no idea she was pregnant till about a week or so ago. We honestly didn't even think it was possible. We have two male cats one we had fixed, the other was a kitten we got and was told he was fixed. Turns out he wasn't, but now he is. 

My problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere...literally, and my baby girl is terrified of car rides. So I don't want to stress her to bring her to the vet. Is there anyway I can get a somewhat estimate of when she will give birth? What do I need to do? I have called our vet who is willing to come out to her but she is out of town for the next two weeks, and the vet taking her place is unwillingly to come out to us. 

Any thoughts, advice, pretty much anything is more then welcome. This will be her first litter and I want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible and I want to be able to support her, but I am unsure what role I can play in this especially with no vet (which scares me like no other).

-Thanks in advanced :)

P.S. I am attaching a few photos that I just took of her so maybe that can help :)

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to ask you a few questions about your cat...it may help when Stefan sees you post and answers.  How old is she?  I take it you have no idea when she was bred?  Is she outdoors or indoors?  Did you notice how long ago her nipples turned bright pink?  How long ago was she in heat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No problem :) She is almost 2 years old, I am told she is small for a 2 year old cat, but I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I am not positive when she would of been bred (assuming this means when she could of gotten pregnant, sorry im new here, just found the site.) because the male who would of gotten her pregnant lives in our house. She is definately an indoor cat, she is petrified of going outside. Her nipples have been this pink for atleast 2 weeks, and now they are starting to look like they have scabs on them, or really dry skin. We THINK the last time she was in heat was about 6 weeks ago, as her behavior only changes so slightly when she does go in heat. Hope that helps! and thank you so much for replying :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is showing so she is at least 5 weeks pregnant. And she obviously conceived during her last heat cycle 6 weeks ago, which would have been the tail end of September and beginning of October, which puts her due on December 11th, give or take 2-3 days on either side for not knowing exactly when she mated. Cat pregnancy is about 65-68 days.

You can apply some olive or vegetable oil to her nipples to help with chapping from her licking them.

If you look under Articles, we have fantastic information on pregnant cats, delivery, and kitten care. Do some reading and continue to ask questions here.

You'll want to feed her plenty of dry kitten chow and wet cat food in the meantime, and make a nest for her in a quiet, private place like a bedroom. Show it to her.

And once the kittens are weaned you'll want to get her spayed. Even though your males are neutered so she won't get pregnant again, cats run a risk of developing pyometra, which is a potentially fatal infection of the uterus that occurs in cats who suffer repeat heat cycles without mating.

She's a very pretty cat! :)

Last edited:

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We think it was 6 weeks ago lol. It is really hard to tell with her because she honestly doesn't change anything about her personality or anything. Her being pregnant is the only thing that has changed her personality. Thank you on the estimation though. It helps out a lot :) I was thinking like a couple days because those babies inside her are doing aerobics or something haha. We have her on kitten food, she has never liked adult cat food, so that is a plus here. 

We are definitely getting her spayed now. I hate to be one of those people who says I didn't think it would happen to my cat but it did. She has always been so scared of going outdoors we never thought of it being an issue, until recently. I also did not know about the health risks, so thank you for that. I feel bad for not getting it done before. 

How would I make a nest for her? Anything I would need for her in particular?

I have read some of the articles. That is how I came upon this amazing site :) Though I won't lie it has me pretty nervous lol. It is the precautions that scare the wits out of me. I think I am more nervous for her then when I had my first baby lol. 

Thank you again, I really do appreciate all input :)

And she is gorgeous isn't she lol.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next milestone after the nipples turning pink (day 21) is seeing the kittens move.  She will give birth 2 - 3 weeks after you see or feel them move.

Scabby nipples do not sound good.  You can put some olive or veggie oil on them to help soften the scabs and soothe the cat.

Since you are in the middle of nowhere, get supplies now.   Order on-line if you don't think you can find the items nearby.  You will need  KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer).  The powder form is better than the premixed.  We have been recommending Pet Ag brand, or GNC or Royal Canin, other brands are ok but avoid Hartz or Seargents.  A small needleless syringe, 1 -2 ml and a baby bottle.  Unflavored pedialyte ( found in the baby aisle).  A scale that weighs in grams or 1/10 ounces - small like a kitchen scale.  A heating source ( Pad, hot water bottle or even raw rice in a sock).  Cotton balls or soft rags  Udder Cream.

Please do not wait.  If there is a problem you will need these at the minimum.

Here are some links to articles that Sarthur2 mentioned.  There are more at the top of this forum.  Keep using this thread for questions and when she goes into labor.  Someone should be here to offer moral support if nothing else.
[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth  [/article][article="31414"]Help My Cat Is Having Kittens  [/article][article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats  [/article][article="31496"]How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth  [/article]

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been able to see the kittens move for atleast 1 week and a  half -2 weeks. It is what tipped us off. We thought she was just getting plumper in the winter months, because she did that last year. Thank you for the supply list. I will put it on my shopping list when I go to town tomorrow. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are seeing kitten movement, then she has 2-3 weeks left.

A nest is a box lined with a blanket that is big enough for her to stretch out in to nurse her kittens. You can cut the sides down if you like. Or you can use a plastic bin with low sides. It basically functions as a crib for the babies.

If it is chilly where you live you may want to put a heating pad set on low under the blanket once the babies are born so they have a heat source in addition to mom.

Don't worry too much about complications. Most of the time things go beautifully. Just be prepared to help her if she's not getting the sacs open or chewing umbilical cords.

Last edited:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're feeling pretty good movement she may deliver earlier.  To make a nesting box just use a cardboard box large enough for her to stretch out full length with some old clothing or toweling in the bottom to make a soft bed.  After delivery when she is settled you will want to change out her bedding for some clean so have another set at the ready.  Put it in a quiet, out of the way area and, ideally, somewhere that you can close her off in.  She'll need access to her litter box, water, and food close by.  After you make the nesting box and place it in the area that is quiet you can show it to her a few times a day by lifting her and putting her in.  She will soon start to go there on her own to dig up the bedding and make it to her liking.  Be sure that you make it so no kittens could accidentally scoot and smother themselves.

You can relax because cats give birth to kittens every day and most deliveries are uncomplicated.  They have them outside under bushes and under sheds all the time.  Just be sure you know what to do if she should become distressed during the birthing.

I find it interesting she is sneaky about her heats and that you didn't see or hear them mating.  Cats usually aren't as private as your two seem to be.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you may choose to buy some Kitten Milk Replacer ahead of time, just in case anyone needs a little bit of extra help.  People on this site recommend the powdered KMR by PetAg, fed using a needleless syringe.  And a kitchen scale so you can monitor how much weight they're gaining each day.

Good luck!

Last edited:

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is not a very vocal cat and the only way I was told to tell if they are in heat is if you put your hand near the end of their back and she lifts her butt up she is in heat. She has done that since she was a baby. She loves butt rubs haha. We are hoping she will give birth in my closet, it is a spacious walk in that stays warm and is not a place for a lot of commotion. I think I have everything besides the KMR, bottles, and udder cream. We buy kitten food like its going out of style (We have four cats) and three refuse adult food. 

Thank you all for the advice. I read in one of the articles about taking her temperature. I am not comfortable taking it rectally. It says you can take it in the armpit but it does not give any reference temps like it did rectally. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Temperature is not a reliable indicator in truth, despite what the articles say. Add 2 degrees if you take it under the arm.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Then I won't even bother. I dont want to stress her. 

One last question....She was just cleaning herself on my lap, and then she started cleaning/licking my arm, and then went to my husband and started cleaning him, and two of our other cats. She will usually clean our other cats but she has never done it to us before. Is this pregnancy related?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she's "mothering" you and your husband [emoji]128522[/emoji].

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well ain't she a sweetie lol :)

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate all the information. The oil has helped her teats out, they look so much better after putting some on last night and today. Also she has not left me alone at all today. If I sat down she plopped on my lap, if I moved she would follow me and then kind of pat my arm till I let her on my lap again....so cute. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she might be closer to delivering. Exciting.

Is that really an indicator of being in heat? I've never heard that. My cats have always had the moving their butts up reaction when you pet the base of the tail.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SHE is having the babies!!! 2 so far. They are so cute!!!! She has been super quiet throughout her labor, but she is being a good momma and I think brought one back to life because it was born not moving or anything but she didn't give up and now its suckling. She is having them in a high traffic area. How long till I can move her to a better place?