Please Help Me

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OwnerOperator

Hi SueG,

Tonight, Sonya has been going to the kitchen and asking for some food. She's managed to eat some food on her own out of her regular food dish; although not near as much as she normally does when she's feeling normal. I'm going to have to keep feeding her by syringe in addition to whatever she's able to eat own her own until her appetite picks up some more. My burrito technique still needs work, but I'm managing to get at least 15cc in her at a time. She's also started to groom herself again which I'm hoping is a sign that she's regaining some of her strength.
Sounds like she is on the road back to health. Fingers crossed for you both!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not a big fan of nuking cat food because it does destroy nutrients. Just add a bit of warm water and mix.

As for syringe feeding, I find the best way to do it is wrap her up and put her on a counter so she is about at the height of your waist. If you are right-handed, use your right hand to hold the syringe. With your left hand, hold her head by taking the.middle finger and your thumb and place them where her eye teeth are (the teeth directly below her eyes). The other fingers are holding and supporting the back of her neck. Gently pull her head up so she's looking up. Put a bit of pressure in her eye teeth to make her open her mouth a bit. Put the tip of the syringe in the side of her mouth and gently push a little bit in her.mouth. Immediately, still holding her head up, use your right hand or the side of the.syringe and close her mouth gently to make her swallow. Some cats will chew as if the food is gum and end up squishing (for lack of a better word)) it out of their mouth. If you hold her mouth closed for 2-3 seconds, she will swallow it. Make sure you only give her a tiny bit at a time. The reason why they gave you a small syringe with a slip tip is so that you don't aspirate her (put the food into her lungs and suffocate her), which can happen with a syringe with a catheter tip (the longer tip with a bigger opening). I only use a catheter tip with dogs. We use 20 ml syringes but only because we've had practice. Also, keep some paper towels handy so you can wipe the tip off as you feed her or wipe her mouth. You may have to hold her snugly to your left side to keep her still.

Good luck!