Please Help Me

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a little female blue russian cat who is 10 years old. She has always been very healthy all these years and has always had her vaccines regularly. Last Tuesday, she all off a sudden stopped eating or drinking. I took her to the vet on Thursday. The vet checked her over real good. She does not have a fever and is breathing fine. She does not seem to be in any pain. All she wants to do is sleep. The vet recommended two different blood tests: one to check for feline leukemia and auto immune disease - and the other blood test was to check for pancreatitis. Both blood tests came back negative. The doctor for some reason did not recommend an x-ray.

The vet doesn't know what's wrong with her. I am supposed to inject water and watered down prescription food into her mouth twice a day. I have been doing that, but my little cat doesn't like having water squirted in her mouth and it makes me feel awful when doing so.

This beautiful grey 12.70 pound cat is my entire life. I have been praying several times a day for God to please do me this one last favor and make Sonya healthy again. I love Sonya with all my heart and soul. She is my whole world and I do not want live without her in my life. My life has no meaning without her. The pain that I feel is unbearable. I am desperate to save her. You wonderful people on this forum are my last hope. If Sonya dies, I pray to God that he will take my life too.

Vance

sueg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
first of all I understand how you feel about your precious cat but please try not to panic just yet. Cat's can go off food and need sleep for a variety of non-serious reasons. I don't believe in forcing a cat to eat, if he hasn't been eating for a only a few days, although they should be given water to stop dehydration. Is your cat and indoor or outdoor kitty? With cats that go outdoors, they have access to self cure remedies that indoor kitties don't have. They will eat certain plants to induce vomiting if they need to get rid of something (although some people don't believe this).
Keep him in though and keep an eye on him and don't hesitate to go back to the vet. Just because he doesn't yet have a fever, doesn't mean he doesn't have anything wrong. A fever is the sign of the body fighting an infection and sometimes cats go off food quite a while before other symptoms appear. I am praying for you and your cat, please keep us updated. xx

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Sue has said try and not panic because cats can pick up on your stress

Is she eating anything now?.

With regards to the water, how are you giving it to her?,?. Don't squirt it hard into her mouth as they can choke on it. I had to do the same with my Jack earlier this year when he had a URI. I held him over my lap, and gently dropped the water in through the side of his mouth using a dropper. I did that 4 times a day for 20 minutes each time

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say how much I feel your panic and desperation for your baby Sonya, kitty girl
. Cats generally have a high tolerance to pain as far as expressing discomfort, and only break out of their daily routine for an extended time when something is wrong.
Second let me say that she will so feel your panic, so it is very important for you to be calm and comforting while handling her.
Is she urinating and pooping normally?

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

I know its painful, but please try to stay strong.

Some questions

1. Does the cat go to the loo, or try to go to the loo
2. Is the cat still alert and does it respond to you, or is it very lethargic even when awake.
3. Grab the scruff of the neck - does the skin fall immediately back into place
4. Check the gum colour - still bright pink or any loss of colour

Can you also tell me if there have been any changes to her diet recently.

Your cat needs all the help she can get. Biting your fingernails and freaking out won't help your cat, so try to act calm and normal around her, as cats pick up on stress and then get stressed themselves, which can aggravate any underlying condition.

G

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SueG

first of all I understand how you feel about your precious cat but please try not to panic just yet. Cat's can go off food and need sleep for a variety of non-serious reasons. I don't believe in forcing a cat to eat, if he hasn't been eating for a only a few days, although they should be given water to stop dehydration. Is your cat and indoor or outdoor kitty? With cats that go outdoors, they have access to self cure remedies that indoor kitties don't have. They will eat certain plants to induce vomiting if they need to get rid of something (although some people don't believe this).
Keep him in though and keep an eye on him and don't hesitate to go back to the vet. Just because he doesn't yet have a fever, doesn't mean he doesn't have anything wrong. A fever is the sign of the body fighting an infection and sometimes cats go off food quite a while before other symptoms appear. I am praying for you and your cat, please keep us updated. xx
She is mainly an indoor kitty. She's goes outside sometimes but only under my supervision.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Like Sue has said try and not panic because cats can pick up on your stress

Is she eating anything now?.

With regards to the water, how are you giving it to her?,?. Don't squirt it hard into her mouth as they can choke on it. I had to do the same with my Jack earlier this year when he had a URI. I held him over my lap, and gently dropped the water in through the side of his mouth using a dropper. I did that 4 times a day for 20 minutes each time
I am giving her water via a syringe. I have learned not to squirt too hard because the water will just bounce back out if I do. I am also feeding her Hills A/D via a syringe. I have been reading this Link for help. It seems as though the vet supplied syringes may have the wrong size tip on them. I can only extract the food if it's thinned down to the consistency of milk. The link says that it's best to have the food as thick as possible and at room temperature. My syringe feeding techniques need a lot of work, but hopefully by reading the link and with help from you people, I can save my kitty. I'm trying to set my emotions aside and pull myself together. I have been taking Sonya's health for granted for far too long. She is my #1 priority and I need to start paying closer attention to her and not just assume everything is OK if she's eating.

Originally Posted by cheylink

First let me say how much I feel your panic and desperation for your baby Sonya, kitty girl
. Cats generally have a high tolerance to pain as far as expressing discomfort, and only break out of their daily routine for an extended time when something is wrong.
Second let me say that she will so feel your panic, so it is very important for you to be calm and comforting while handling her.
Is she urinating and pooping normally?
Up until she quit eating, she was urinated regularly, but her urine always had a strong smell. Her poo would always be too hard and too little - about the size of M&M peanuts. She made it on her own to the litter box this morning, but she missed it and peed on the floor. It's a hardwood floor so I easily wiped it up with rubbing alcohol.

You people don't know how much I appreciate your help. Sitting here writing with this computer is helping me to bring myself into focus and to calm my nerves. When the vet said my kitty's blood work all came back normal and that she doesn't know what's wrong with her, I panicked. I have been crying so much, my stomach muscles hurt. Most people out there don't realize how precious cats are. The few of us that do, have to suffer tremendously when our cats get sick or pass away. I love Sonya like if she was my own child. And since I don't have any human children, she is my only child. The only people that can understand that are the wonderful people on this forum.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OwnerOperator

The only people that can understand that are the wonderful people on this forum.
Don't worry, we understand. I've worked in the veterinary and cat welfare industry all my life, and even my colleagues think I'm a bit "weird about cats"
There are people on this forum 24/7 so you'll never be left alone.

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gareth

Hi

I know its painful, but please try to stay strong.

Some questions

1. Does the cat go to the loo, or try to go to the loo
2. Is the cat still alert and does it respond to you, or is it very lethargic even when awake.
3. Grab the scruff of the neck - does the skin fall immediately back into place
4. Check the gum colour - still bright pink or any loss of colour

Can you also tell me if there have been any changes to her diet recently.

Your cat needs all the help she can get. Biting your fingernails and freaking out won't help your cat, so try to act calm and normal around her, as cats pick up on stress and then get stressed themselves, which can aggravate any underlying condition.

G
Thank you very much for your help. I will try to answer your questions:

1. I don't know what "the loo" means.
2. She is still alert and responsive, but she is getting visibly weaker.
3. Yes it does.

4. I'll have to wait on that because she's resting after being syringe fed, but the vet
said her teeth and gums are fine with moderate tartar buildup on her back molars. I am going to have her teeth cleaned if she makes it through this.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think l can speak for the majority of members here, because like you our cats are our babies

When Jack had his URI l also fed him his food for a couple of days. Again, l would lie the front part of his body on my lap, mash his wet food up and feed him it with my fingers. I used to gently dab it on his mouth and that would start the licking off.

When l gave him his water, l would drop one drop in at a time just in the side of his mouth, and like his food he would start to swallow it.

Has Sonya had any litterbox accidents before?. I'm wondering if it might be worth seeing a different vet just to see if they can give you a second opinion?

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Don't worry, we understand. I've worked in the veterinary and cat welfare industry all my life, and even my colleagues think I'm a bit "weird about cats"
There are people on this forum 24/7 so you'll never be left alone.
I find your compassion very comforting. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not up on what information is included in the blood tests you have had done.

How about a CBC? There is also a blood test that tells how the kidneys are working, and a couple for hyperthyroidism and diabetes. Do you have that information? If she has an infection brewing, I believe testing for blood counts would tell that.

I would ask the vet about those tests....if there is any more tests that can be done. Both the above diseases are controllable, so try not to worry if that would be the case. I have had cats with both of them and they are doing fine.

I always say "'knowledge is power" . So I would go back to the vet and see that every test that can be done is done. It will help your kitty and put you at ease when you find out just what is bothering her.

God bless, and have faith.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more question.

Smell your cats breath. Does it smell normal. I know that sounds weird.

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think l can speak for the majority of members here, because like you our cats are our babies

When Jack had his URI l also fed him his food for a couple of days. Again, l would lie the front part of his body on my lap, mash his wet food up and feed him it with my fingers. I used to gently dab it on his mouth and that would start the licking off.

When l gave him his water, l would drop one drop in at a time just in the side of his mouth, and like his food he would start to swallow it.

Has Sonya had any litterbox accidents before?. I'm wondering if it might be worth seeing a different vet just to see if they can give you a second opinion?
Hi,

She has had litterbox accidents before, but only because she has tried to cover up her poo and in the process, the poo went over the edge. She has never had a pee accident before this morning, but I'm thinking it's mainly because she's so weak.

I'm very much willing to take her to another vet, but they are so many of them in this town that I don't know which one to take her too. Vet trips have always been very stressful for Sonya. She hates being in the cage and she hates riding in the car. I don't want to drag her all over town to different vets. I'm afraid since she's so weak, the stress of traveling around could kill her in and of itself.

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I am not up on what information is included in the blood tests you have had done.

How about a CBC? There is also a blood test that tells how the kidneys are working, and a couple for hyperthyroidism and diabetes. Do you have that information? If she has an infection brewing, I believe testing for blood counts would tell that.

I would ask the vet about those tests....if there is any more tests that can be done. Both the above diseases are controllable, so try not to worry if that would be the case. I have had cats with both of them and they are doing fine.

I always say "'knowledge is power" . So I would go back to the vet and see that every test that can be done is done. It will help your kitty and put you at ease when you find out just what is bothering her.

God bless, and have faith.
Hi,

The blood tests were:

1. "Felv/Fiv/HWT cite snap test."
2. "IDEXX Feline ADRchek T with Spec fPLT."

The doctor said Sonya's kidney and liver function are normal. Her glucose level is slightly elevated, but not enough to suspect diabetes.

One more question.

Smell your cats breath. Does it smell normal. I know that sounds weird.
Her breath has never been fantastic because of her preference for fish flavored foods, but it seems to be normal. What's not normal is her facial expression. She has the facial expression of a cat with feline upper respiratory infection, but she doesn't have that right now according to the vet. Her eyes are not watering constantly like if she did have the infection, and her nose is not constantly dripping - and she's not sneezing either. But her eyes are secreting a small amount of teary stuff and then drying on her face. She looks like she has a cold, but I know cats aren't supposed to get colds.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by OwnerOperator

I'm afraid since she's so weak, the stress of traveling around could kill her in and of itself.
What about having a vet come to your home then?.A second opinion from any vet might help.

Cats do get colds. When Jack was poorly the vet said his URI was the same as a human cold. His breathing was affected but that was it, then it was passed onto Rosie who started sneezing and had a slight runny nose

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about having a vet come to your home then?.A second opinion from any vet might help.

Cats do get colds. When Jack was poorly the vet said his URI was the same as a human cold. His breathing was affected but that was it, then it was passed onto Rosie who started sneezing and had a slight runny nose
There's a lot of things pointing to a URI here, but I would have expected some other more robust symptoms, such as nasal discharge, sneezing, or indeed a temperature.

One thing I definitely agree with, however. It's time to write all the symptoms down in a list, and give them to another vet for a second opinion. Let the vet make the decision about whether he or she needs to see the cat.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There's a lot of things pointing to a URI here, but I would have expected some other more robust symptoms, such as nasal discharge, sneezing, or indeed a temperature.
I'm thinking the same.

As l said with my two, Rosie just had sneezing and a slight runny nose. Jack on the other hand only sneezed a few times then he started breathing through his mouth, but unlike Rosie he had it worse because he was lethargic and couldn't be bothered to eat or drink, so the symptoms do sound familiar?

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to try to keep her alive long enough until I can find a diagnosis. I'm going to call around to different vets today. I'm going to try to get a feel for their competency. Most of them just want to get you in the door first and then talk to you later. Hopefully, one of them will take an interest in Sonya's case.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm thinking the same.

As l said with my two, Rosie just had sneezing and a slight runny nose. Jack on the other hand only sneezed a few times then he started breathing through his mouth, but unlike Rosie he had it worse because he was lethargic and couldn't be bothered to eat or drink, so the symptoms do sound familiar?
If I'm brutally honest, my first thought, and most worrying one. was actually renal problems, which is why I asked about bad breathe- but the OP said this had been ruled out by the vet.