Please help discharge or mucus plug?

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone so my special little baby munchkin is pregnant. This is her first pregnancy and I thought she had around a week or two before it was time but I could have been wrong as she got pregnant at my sisters house. I will be getting her spayed after this don't worry, long story short I had to give her to my sister for a while because I was kicked out of my house. My sister has an unfixed male and my cat went into her first heat at her house. She has not been in heat since and I can feel the baby's in her tummy and see them moving. Anyways today she had a small drop probably the size of a pea of a cream colored odorless discharge come out of her vagina, she had even less a few hours later and now it has stopped. The first sighting was at 9:30 am yesterday July 8th 2014. I've been getting nervous because all she does is sleep. Was that her mucus plug? If not is a small amount of discharge normal? She doesn't seem distressed, sometimes her breathing will be heavy but then it will go back to normal. If that was her mucus plug how much longer do I have, I have read 24 hours but it's already been almost 20 since I saw the white/cream stuff. She doesn't seem like she will be going into labor soon, she eats a normal amount and drinks regularly. I'm just getting a little worried so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some discharges before are quite common and normal.  Mucus plug goes most often shortly before the delivery, but exceptions do occur.  I have seen here it could be a week before too...

Theoretically, a mucus plug gone increases the risk for infections, but practically, with home cats, its seldom any problems.

Her sometimes heavy breathing is probably contractions.  But pre-contractions are quite common too...

So, you really cant know anything for sure.   Just make yourself prepared,  be vigilant for complications,  and wait...

Pray the kittens dont come too early.  Kittens manage badly being born premature.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I don't think it would be that early, my sister doesn't know exactly when her heat was but it been about 2 months since her heat so yeah I would say a week give or take. I will watch her...do you know if that's what the mucus plug looks like? Thanks again I really appreciate it :wavey:

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody this is kind of and update, it's been 8 days since my other post but I didn't get many answers. I really need some advice. I am almost certain my cat is pregnant and she should be due this week, but since my last post she has been having small amounts of creamy verily light green tinged discharge. It is odorless and she is eating and drinking normally, but she sleeps a lot . Every one I talk to keeps telling me I'm over reacting or I'm paranoid and that she is just pregnant but I worry. Is it possible for my 1 year old cat to have pyometra from her first heat. I am brining her to the vet on Monday but I just need something to ease my nerves :vibes: . So please tell me is this normal discharge for a pregnant cat? Am I over reacting ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pyometra in 1 year olds isnt common, so probably you are overreacting.  But as you worry, the only safe way to get knowledge is to contact your vet and get an exam, at the very least ask.

Im not the least ironic - gut feeling is important, and more than once I have seen forumists who did saved the day by taking the secure before a chance, and took their cat to the vet.

One thing you can look see yourself:  how is her temp?   If its normal temp, this is probably not pyometra...

The usual temp is  about 102 F or 38,5 Celsius,  measuring the usual way in the behind on a calm cat.

Measuring in the armpirt of the foreleg or on the ear it will be lower,  about 99  or 37 in in the armpit.

Good luck!  @Lovemykittys

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you,can I take her temp with a normal thermometer? How would I do it on the ear?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You would need an ear thermometer to take her temperature there, but you can use a regular one in her armpit. 

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat just had a kitten, but I had to help her because it was stuck inside and came out feet first. But now she is bleeding quite a bit. She's purring and acting okay but I'm so scared I'm shaking. Also the kitten wasn't in a sac or attached to the placenta. I don't know if that came first and my cat ate it because she was in the closet. Is my cat gonna die from bleeding?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Time to contact your vet!   He will know what follo up questions to give.

Be ready to rush her in.

Purr they dont only do when everything is OK, purr they also do to calm themselves, when they are in real difficulties.

Contact you vet asap, or even - rush in if the vet isnt answering the phone...

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So my cat just had a kitten, but I had to help her because it was stuck inside and came out feet first. But now she is bleeding quite a bit. She's purring and acting okay but I'm so scared I'm shaking. Also the kitten wasn't in a sac or attached to the placenta. I don't know if that came first and my cat ate it because she was in the closet. Is my cat gonna die from bleeding?
Good luck!   for anser see above.

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys, I will try to call the vet, she isn't bleeding that much anymore. The kitten is nursing, this is her first pregnancy and she is a small cat so that might be why she bled. Is it not normal for them to bleed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks guys, I will try to call the vet, she isn't bleeding that much anymore. The kitten is nursing, this is her first pregnancy and she is a small cat so that might be why she bled. Is it not normal for them to bleed?
some bleeding may be ok, but just some.  Also,  red colored discharges are common and the normal to wait.

But running fresh blood is always serious.

Good the kitten is nursing.  It helps with contractions, if there is the placenta left inside.   Sometimes its enough.

Anyways, the vet will know what follow up questions to give.  If you are unsure, best to take the safe before wild guesses and unsafe hopes..

Good luck!

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update I called the vet, she said if the bleeding continues for the next 2 days to have her seen. Thanks for the replies, if you want when she is finished with her births I will post pictures:rbheart:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand the vet wasnt very alarmed.  I presume the blood wasnt gashing out in floods, sooner just some drops now and then?

Some links, which still may be useful:

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes post pictures! We can never have too many kitten pictures. My queen had a birth like yours. Her kitten was stillborn though
. I am happy your kitten is alive and well. Sending good thoughts 

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well my cat had two kittens, but the second one got stuck so I had to rush her to the emergency vet, it was in her for 5 hours but it lived. Sadly it passed away the next day. Today the other baby passed away also. I'm very sad. But will my cat be ok, what happens with the milk? Will she get depressed. When the first one passed she didn't care but today after this one she was crying and looking for it. She is still eating and drinking, I just get nervous. Here are my little angels [ATTACHMENT=658][ATTACHMENT=659]image.jpg (1,545k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT] :angel:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my cat had two kittens, but the second one got stuck so I had to rush her to the emergency vet, it was in her for 5 hours but it lived. Sadly it passed away the next day. Today the other baby passed away also. I'm very sad. But will my cat be ok, what happens with the milk? Will she get depressed. When the first one passed she didn't care but today after this one she was crying and looking for it. She is still eating and drinking, I just get nervous. Here are my little angels
i'm so sorry your girl lost both babies. have you thought about calling around to rescues or shelters, explaining your situation and asking if they have any very young/newborn kittens who are orphaned and in need of a momma to nurse them and raise them? i think this might be the ideal solution for both your girl and the orphaned kittens.

your momma's milk should dry up in about two weeks if she's not nursing kittens.

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, and I don't think more kittens is a good idea, she didn't really do a god job I had to hold her to feed the kitten and I had to stimulate its bathroom movements.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ, @catwoman707-- may i ask your advice for the OP (original poster), re (@Lovemykittys posted) "I don't think more kittens is a good idea, she didn't really do a god job I had to hold her to feed the kitten and I had to stimulate its bathroom movements."    i had suggested checking with local rescues/shelters to see if they had any very young kittens in need of a momma cat to nurse and care for them.

bella1242

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi can someone help I think my cats 8/9weeks pregnant she's showing all the signs apart from her nipples aren't milking? This is her first pregnancy and she's is nearly a year old. Please can I have some advice :)