Please help discharge or mucus plug?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi can someone help I think my cats 8/9weeks pregnant she's showing all the signs apart from her nipples aren't milking? This is her first pregnancy and she's is nearly a year old. Please can I have some advice
Its quite common the milk comes late, may even come after the delivery.  Its very unusual they dont get milk if the kittens are full term.(may happen with premature kittens. )

Of course, if you do worry you can get home some kmr or goat milk.  And use it as extranourishment  if she gets milk for real.  Or at the very least, make sure you know where you can get kmr or goat milk.

Good luck!

some links

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. When the first one passed she didn't care but today after this one she was crying and looking for it. She is still eating and drinking, I just get nervous. 
If she mourned the second one, it may be so her mothernal instincts kicked in late...   Yes, it happens sometimes.   Especielly if the kittens were a shade too early, a shade premature.

I understand if she is a bad mother, it isnt big point to let her be a foster mom as suggested.    And the easiest course is to let it be, and spay her in two - three weeks.

Unless you yourself   are willing to do a big part of the work.  Or work up some cooperation agreement with some shelter nearby where you provide your lactacing female, and they do the rest.

By the same reason, if she is a bad mother, her teats will prob dry out quicker and more easily than with many others - both are partly hormonal ruled.

But if you think she HAS turned around - its worth a try.   Perhaps let them lend you a couple of kittens for testing, for  you to let see.  It it doesnt work out, lets hope there is another solution.   Its a game worth trying for them and for your female!

The only to be wigilant  with is you shall be fairly sure they foster kittens are reasonably healthy.  You dont want they draw say, distemper on your mom cat.

- but in the other side - you dont have living kittens left.  If there were anytime an occasion to perhaps take a riskt, its here...

I hope you understand my rant.  I was mostly thinking aloud, as there are not any defintive answers in this situation.  You must play it by ear.

Good luck!

Im extra sorry to hear about these two kittens who died.   Earlier I thougt the worst was over...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I did email a shelter to ask, but also told them of my fear that my cat isn't a great mom and asked for advice. Hopefully I will hear back soon, my kitty keeps crying and searching for her baby. It's breaking my heart and makes me miss the kitten even more.

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she mourned the second one, it may be so her mothernal instincts kicked in late...   Yes, it happens sometimes.   Especielly if the kittens were a shade too early, a shade premature.

I understand if she is a bad mother, it isnt big point to let her be a foster mom as suggested.    And the easiest course is to let it be, and spay her in two - three weeks.
Unless you yourself   are willing to do a big part of the work.  Or work up some cooperation agreement with some shelter nearby where you provide your lactacing female, and they do the rest.

By the same reason, if she is a bad mother, her teats will prob dry out quicker and more easily than with many others - both are partly hormonal ruled.

But if you think she HAS turned around - its worth a try.   Perhaps let them lend you a couple of kittens for testing, for  you to let see.  It it doesnt work out, lets hope there is another solution.   Its a game worth trying for them and for your female!

The only to be wigilant  with is you shall be fairly sure they foster kittens are reasonably healthy.  You dont want they draw say, distemper on your mom cat.
- but in the other side - you dont have living kittens left.  If there were anytime an occasion to perhaps take a riskt, its here...

I hope you understand my rant.  I was mostly thinking aloud, as there are not any defintive answers in this situation.  You must play it by ear.

Good luck!

Im extra sorry to hear about these two kittens who died.   Earlier I thougt the worst was over...

Good luck!

Would her maternal instincts kick in late because it was her first~and last~ pregnancy? She did start to stay with it more and lick its butt on its last day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would her maternal instincts kick in late because it was her first~and last~ pregnancy? She did start to stay with it more and lick its butt on its last day.
Yes, first time moms may be so...  Cats arent no automatos, but its a not unusual variation.

Good you send this letter to this shelter.  You can also contact some vets around.  They too usually have such contacts, as who needs a foster mom.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @StefanZ  's advice.

It can potentially save babies who are orphaned, but will need to be VERY closely monitored for the first few days, as you wouldn't want to risk them not thriving and getting weakened if she is not able to fully provide for them.

Preferrable kittens who have not been on the bottle for too long, or they may not have enough instinct to nurse from her, but will cry for a bottle.

Good luck, and very sorry she lost hers :(

lovemykittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Lovemykittys
-- how is your girl doing?
She is doing a lot better thank you :) I really appreciate everyone helping me and my munchkin in our time of need. The shelter never got back to me but she isn't crying anymore :clap: she is happy and playing and cuddling with me again. :rbheart:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is doing a lot better thank you
I really appreciate everyone helping me and my munchkin in our time of need. The shelter never got back to me but she isn't crying anymore
she is happy and playing and cuddling with me again.
i'm so glad your girl is feeling happy and playing/cuddling again.  :eek:)