Platinum's bengal kitten thread

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the way he looks.
I came close to getting a Bengal before I decided on the Sphynx.
Is it true they are mean at the vets.
The vet techs at my vet said a Bengal bit them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I love the way he looks.
Well, to be honest, any cat, moggie or purebreed can be mean at the Vet office. It depends on why they are there, how they are feeling and what their otherwise general temperament is.

In my decade of dealing with my own bengal cats, I have not had one that has biten or threatened to bite during a Vet visit. Even the ones I thought might act out, have been passive, aside from Jack our silver show boy who hates having his claws clipped....he did put up a struggle, but no biting, and Ramses our first male stud, who went in for some eye treatment and gave the staff a very hard time, but he also never tried to hurt anyone, just wanted to get away.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial it is an interesting pattern, but I'm not sure if I really like it. May not be too spotted. Does the Bengal standards get detailed with the spotted pattern? I know the Ocicats have a more descriptive pattern in how the spots should be.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial will be able to answer more clearly but as far as I've understood it you basically want a completely random distribution of spots or a horizontal flow. You don't want a pattern that looks like broken up McTabby stripes in a vertical flow.

As far as spots go there is plenty of variation but I think it's mostly clear rosettas with a black or an almost black outline (the outline can be broken up) and the nutty brown colour on the inside. Large and somewhat irregularily shaped for a wild look. I.e you don't really want the oci style thumb print sized even spots. Triangular spots aka arrowhead rosettas are good too.

Btw Nial, the kittens and mom are gorgeous! thanks for posting their photos here. I'm having a lot of fun following this thread.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is pure fun! The babies are so cute and tiny and mom is pleased Thanks for sharing. For some reason, I thought you guys had retired as breeders. Glad you haven't.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to tell them that. My Russian Blue Mix Meeko is one of the worst cats when she goes to the vet.
Coco my Siamese mix is so nice and they love her.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to tell them that. My Russian Blue Mix Meeko is one of the worst cats when she goes to the vet.
Coco my Siamese mix is so nice and they love her.
The Sphynx I know/own are so social, vet and vet techs are new best friends

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love the way he looks.
Honestly, I have a horrible misbehaved Bengal at the vets and at home when it comes to clipping nails and trying to medicate. My little girl bit the vet and scratched him too!! Thats why I alternate vets when it comes to her... I can't clip her nails without serious drama so I take her to the vet so he can deal with it!

On the other hand my sweet little abyssinians are so pleasant with the vet and vet techs. They love to see frankie for visits! He has one of the vet techs wrapped around his little paws!

I will take any of your Bengals that are not show quality and give them a home!! Through all the naughtiness I get from Zoey I need a few more to really get this house hopping! I need more abyssinians and bengals...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new kittens, I look forward to watching them grow.

Originally Posted by abbycats

I need more abyssinians and bengals...
No, what you need next is an Ocicat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree - Abby needs a really cute "exotic" Ocicat - remember we have some of the cool colors like Chocolate Silver, Cinnamon Silver

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats are beautiful cats!!!!! I would love to add one of those to my household too!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nial it is an interesting pattern, but I'm not sure if I really like it. May not be too spotted. Does the Bengal standards get detailed with the spotted pattern? I know the Ocicats have a more descriptive pattern in how the spots should be.
I understand! But the spotty bengal pattern is old school. The breed is moving foward quickly to large rosettes and random horizontal flow. Vertically aligned spots and barring is to be avoided. Currently the standard favors rosettes versus spots, but it purposely isn't clearly defined because bengals are diverse in their patterns. As you know the breeders ultimately control the standard, which is still evolving with the bengal cat.

Originally Posted by Siggav

Nial will be able to answer more clearly but as far as I've understood it you basically want a completely random distribution of spots or a horizontal flow. You don't want a pattern that looks like broken up McTabby stripes in a vertical flow.

As far as spots go there is plenty of variation but I think it's mostly clear rosettas with a black or an almost black outline (the outline can be broken up) and the nutty brown colour on the inside. Large and somewhat irregularily shaped for a wild look. I.e you don't really want the oci style thumb print sized even spots. Triangular spots aka arrowhead rosettas are good too.

Btw Nial, the kittens and mom are gorgeous! thanks for posting their photos here. I'm having a lot of fun following this thread.
Yes, good points Siggav. Glad you're participating and enjoying the thread!

I'm always impressed when bengal owners know their stuff concerning the breed.

Originally Posted by cococat

This thread is pure fun! The babies are so cute and tiny and mom is pleased Thanks for sharing. For some reason, I thought you guys had retired as breeders. Glad you haven't.
You and I both thought we'd retired from breeding. My wife promptly vetoed that ammendment to our consititution before a week was over. Oh well, I do enjoy the whole thing quite a bit. I just hope someday we can have a more normal life.........you know vacations, weekends away, a pantry with more of our food than the cats, grocery carts with less than 50 pounds of litter in them, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by abbycats

Honestly, I have a horrible misbehaved Bengal at the vets and at home when it comes to clipping nails and trying to medicate. My little girl bit the vet and scratched him too!! Thats why I alternate vets when it comes to her... I can't clip her nails without serious drama so I take her to the vet so he can deal with it!

On the other hand my sweet little abyssinians are so pleasant with the vet and vet techs. They love to see frankie for visits! He has one of the vet techs wrapped around his little paws!

I will take any of your Bengals that are not show quality and give them a home!! Through all the naughtiness I get from Zoey I need a few more to really get this house hopping! I need more abyssinians and bengals...
One can never have too many bengals, but the amount of unbroken nick knacks you can have is directly porportional to the number of bengals in your home. We'll have an Aby one of these days, as soon Adilah gets those kittens of hers grown up and mating.

Originally Posted by missymotus

Congratulations on the new kittens, I look forward to watching them grow.

No, what you need next is an Ocicat
Thanks Amanda!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of Bogey's back. I really like how the dorsal lines are broken up and not all convoluted. He also has a nice break at the neckline which will distinguish the head stripes from the shoulder pattern.

Just for the cute factor, here's a face pic. Eyes still tightly closed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, have to admit that he is unique in markings. If he turns out to be show and you show him, be interesting to see what the judges have to say.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Here's a pic of Bogey's back. I really like how the dorsal lines are broken up and not all convoluted. He also has a nice break at the neckline which will distinguish the head stripes from the shoulder pattern.

Just for the cute factor, here's a face pic. Eyes still tightly closed.
That adorable little face

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

My wife promptly vetoed that ammendment to our consititution before a week was over.
Glad to hear this
I am looking forward to watching them grow.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Nial, how do you and Teri stand all that cuteness
, I want to faint just looking at them
We've developed a high tolerance for cuteness.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Half of the babies eyes are open today. Even though the little silver girl's eyes are still closed, her senses are very active and she decided it would be a good idea to hiss at me repeatedly.
So I picked her up and told her she is a good girl and I wasn't going to eat her. Must have been a satisfactory response, because she stopped.

All the kits are getting big and I think you can see in the new pictures that they are soon going to overwhelm momma with their size.

All are healthy and doing well so far.