Plastic Bowls..bad?

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could use bowls because I've seen some really, really cutes ones(!) but I just feel more comfortable using little paper plates (like children's party-sized) and throwing them away after each meal. I might get a cute bowl anyway and just set the paper plate on top...hmm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Ooops, sorry - guess I really should look at the dates before I go blasting in. *smile*
tehehehe..thats ok..this is from like back when i first joined..wow lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I wish I could use bowls because I've seen some really, really cutes ones(!) but I just feel more comfortable using little paper plates (like children's party-sized) and throwing them away after each meal. I might get a cute bowl anyway and just set the paper plate on top...hmm.
LOL i tried paper plates for the wet (we feed dry mostly with wet in the am) but dutchy..wouldnt eat it. she stuck her nose up..i put it on a ceramic plate..she was happy

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do recommend not to use plastic, as it can harbor bacteria and also cause feline acne. It can actually soak into the plastic even without the damage from a dishwasher. Maybe get one of those big heavy ceramic crock dishes. My cats haven't broken theirs yet...And, I'm all for saving a few trees by not using paper plates!

riclen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

Basically, from what I've read, feline acne is caused by bacterial build up - usually in their food and water bowls. If you wash the bowls in vinegar every so often, in the same way you would do a plastic or wooden cutting board, then it should mostly prevent the bacterial issues that would be a problem for your pets.
Melamine bowls are so cheap and scratch resistant/ anti slip.Plus melamine is dishwasher safe.I got two really funky ones and a matching drip tray from Snugglesafe. You might aswell throw the old plastic polypropeline bowls away!

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peanut Butter eats off saucers-- mostly wet food some dry when i get lazy but he gets a people saucer at breakfast, lunch and supper-- i figure if we eat off it and its ok for us its gonna be ok for him-- hes only broken the handpainted ones that i bought just for him at 5.00 bucks a piece-- taught me a lesson on that one-- now he only gets our people dishes--