Plastic Bowls..bad?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I was reading an article and it stated that plastic bowls are bad. Because they retain bacteria. Alright so it makes sense. But my cats break ceramic, and will not eat out of metal. So I have plastic. But i clean it every other day generaly..does that make me a bad pet momma?

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think it makes you bad at all..I myself have been reduced to plastic due to the fact mabby has broken 3 ceramic dishes thus far....lol.......but it is a good idea to keep them clean i know plastic containers can cause acne in some cats, because of bacteria......though i dont know much more beyond that...I am sure if you keep it clean you shouldnt have a problem

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem is that the plastic develops hairline cracks when they have been run through dishwashers and the like and this is what holds the bacteria.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

The problem is that the plastic develops hairline cracks when they have been run through dishwashers and the like and this is what holds the bacteria.
So would it be a wise idea to replace the plastic dishes after a certain amount of time???.....and would hand washing cause the same problem?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest using glass, metal or ceramic myself. Some people even use paper and throw them away after one use

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would suggest using glass, metal or ceramic myself. Some people even use paper and throw them away after one use
Metal thats one i havent tried.....thanx for the advice....to bad it isnt my thread....lol....but its always good to learn something new....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point. I dont use a dishwasher....dont have one. LOL i wash the dish by hand
Dutchy WILL NOT eat out of metal at all...perhaps its back to trying to ceramic. i do replace my plastic ones every now and than.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra and I really like her new dish. It is situated nicely in it's little stand and not very easy to knock over and break. I wash it thoroughly after each meal. There is a wide variety of cat feeders available on line similar to this made of different material, glass, metal, ceramic...all elevated in a little feeder which holds in nicely in place. Although, I have tripped over the little stand several times when I forgot to remove it when picking up her dish!
Wonder if this would help prevent your kitties' dishes from getting broken? Just a thought.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will take a look *chuckles* Last time I tried a stand however..dutchys response? she had Loki knock over the stand. Did I mention dutchy is a very picky kitten? Her plastic dish..of course had to be purple (we had green and blue before..oh no purple stays) I may just get some ceramic people bowls. as they are a little more affordable..and see what she does with that.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nebula11

stephanie...thats a real neat looking dish..........made for a princess....i can see why sierra likes it...ill have to get some of them
What a sweet thing for you to say, Bridget, thank you!
Sure hope your babies like it too!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we also use metal here - but to be honest i dont think it would bother Cedar what it was in - he would eat everything in site if possible

wow he certainly does sound like a picky kitten
good luck in finding a dish they wont destroy

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

we also use metal here - but to be honest i dont think it would bother Cedar what it was in - he would eat everything in site if possible

wow he certainly does sound like a picky kitten
good luck in finding a dish they wont destroy
Oh no you called her a He! LOL I wont tell her you said so..the dutchess would not be pleased...

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a heavier-duty ceramic dish? My cats eat out of ceramic bowls designed for (don't tell them!) dogs. They're a heavy white ceramic, shaped to be untippable, with a row of multi-colored paw prints running around the edge, so they're not a dog design.
We had trouble with feline acne for quite a while, even though I washed the dishes daily, but that's cleared up completely since we started using these ceramic dishes several years ago.

pawprint ceramic bowls (click here)

The design is on clearance at the above link (it's an older style), but you can probably find similar dishes in pet stores or on other sites.

ps Sierra's dish is beautiful!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also use flower pot holders. Of course get the ones with no holes in them, or the food will leak out-

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought 2 ceramic dishes about a month ago so that my 2 cats don't have to share a bowl. The ceramic dishes have a fair weight to them and hopefullly this will keep the bowls from moving around the floor as easily. I paid about $3.00 per bowl.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou and Mika are little pigs and will eat out of anything. Too bad about the metal bowls as I bought 2 bags of the World's Best Cat Litter Tuesday and I got a free metal bowl with each bag. (That was the heavy duty litter - the one for multiple cats.) Since Mika has been allowed out with Bijou, she tends to prefer to use his litter instead of her own (he doesn't seem to mind) and with both of them using the one litter I thought the heavy duty stuff would work better - we shall see!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Have you tried a heavier-duty ceramic dish? My cats eat out of ceramic bowls designed for (don't tell them!) dogs. They're a heavy white ceramic, shaped to be untippable, with a row of multi-colored paw prints running around the edge, so they're not a dog design.
We had trouble with feline acne for quite a while, even though I washed the dishes daily, but that's cleared up completely since we started using these ceramic dishes several years ago.

pawprint ceramic bowls (click here)

The design is on clearance at the above link (it's an older style), but you can probably find similar dishes in pet stores or on other sites.

ps Sierra's dish is beautiful!
Well those are cute....and affordable
I may have to give them a try we have puppy playdate tonight. so we will look around the store. dutchy is already looking at me oddly like "I know your talking about me" and who says cats arent smart?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou and Mika are little pigs and will eat out of anything. Too bad about the metal bowls as I bought 2 bags of the World's Best Cat Litter Tuesday and I got a free metal bowl with each bag. (That was the heavy duty litter - the one for multiple cats.) Since Mika has been allowed out with Bijou, she tends to prefer to use his litter instead of her own (he doesn't seem to mind) and with both of them using the one litter I thought the heavy duty stuff would work better - we shall see!
Oh yes litter has always been a fun chore here..lol for her highness. No normal litter for her..no way. It has to be scoopable, or we promptly come and piddle on MOM! to let her know how unhappy we are. First time she did it i took her to the vet, nothing wrong..ah well...Thats why she is called DUTCHESS. thank goodness Tidy Cat's makes a multiple kittie Anitmircobacterial kind
she loves it. and so does mom.