PJ & Punky need MEGA vibes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! As a last ditch effort, I asked if I could decline the app. based on the fact they want to declaw them......and I think hades has frozen over....because I think I just got told I could!

I do plan to talk to the new owners, however. This might be their only real chance at getting a home.

But Punky's a bit neurotic. He flips when I clip his nails, walking around growling at his paws(it's a feat, walking & growling at one's paws). I'm 100% positive he would become a biter if declawed. Ever since he did whatever & damaged his spine (he couldn't walk for days) when he was 3 months old, he's been a few fries short of a happy meal.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that is good news...maybe the people won't declaw??

How do you decide between finally getting them a new home..but them having to get declawed!? Or just keeping them there and declining the app?

So tough

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, good luck talking to the owners and explaining that declawing is not on! I really hope they were just uneducated the first time around

If you explain that Punky will be neurotic and a biter if declawed, maybe they won't want to adopt him?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Their two kitties were declawed.
That means they'll probably mutilate my boys.

I can't decline them simply based on that, either.
Maybe if you explain to them Punky's aversion to having his nails clipped and your suspicions of him biting if declawed... maybe they just need to be declaw educated.

Originally Posted by bnwalker2

On my application I ask if they plan to de-claw, and if any of their other cats are de-clawed. Those are the first questions I look at and if the answer is yes to either one, I don't even read the rest of the application.
I hate to say it... but is that really fair to applicants or cats? Just because one of their resident cats may be declawed doesn't mean they will do it to a new cat. I'd be very upset to be turned down for an adoption simply because Frankie is declawed because I was young, uneducated and it was my parents doing... she/I didn't get a choice.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's my thoughts....that it could go a few ways when I talk to them about declawing:
1) they could say they won't, do it anyways
2) they could decide they won't declaw
3) they could decide they don't want the boys, but adopt another kitty
4) then there's always the "I'm gonna hang up on you
" (I hate declining apps)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh well, you can only talk to them and see what happens. When do you think you'll call them?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got to wait to hear back from one more person at the shelter on whether or not I should talk to them on declawing, that I can decline them specifically to adopt my boys for that reason. (I do plan to talk to them about other kitties up for adoption if they plan to declaw....because if I can't change their minds, they'll get kitties somewhere, might as well be some from here
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll let you know officially in a short while, but it's looking like I'm "stuck" *cough cough* with these two for awhile longer.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Their two kitties were declawed.
That means they'll probably mutilate my boys.

I can't decline them simply based on that, either.
Thankfully we can and do decline for just that reason. Not for having one declawed in the past, but if there is any indication that they want to declaw the new one, they are on our "do not adopt" list.

I'll let you know officially in a short while, but it's looking like I'm "stuck" *cough cough* with these two for awhile longer.
At least they still have their little paws all in once piece

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, he said he'd call me right back....that was 20 minutes ago.

We'll see if I ever hear from them again.

I was so looking forward to them having a home finally!
It would help out stress levels in my house....everyone in the basement is still fighting & 2 less kitties would help a lot, esp. since they start a fight & go hide behind someone else.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG! As a last ditch effort, I asked if I could decline the app. based on the fact they want to declaw them......and I think hades has frozen over....because I think I just got told I could!

I do plan to talk to the new owners, however. This might be their only real chance at getting a home.

But Punky's a bit neurotic. He flips when I clip his nails, walking around growling at his paws(it's a feat, walking & growling at one's paws). I'm 100% positive he would become a biter if declawed. Ever since he did whatever & damaged his spine (he couldn't walk for days) when he was 3 months old, he's been a few fries short of a happy meal.
Make sure you emphasize the fact that many (tell them "most") cats who are declawed have litter box issues and pee and poo all over the place and that they were very lucky with the 2 they declawed didn't do that!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Nat - I know you'd rather have the stress and fighting then have them declawed. Bummer it seems they don't even want to listen to alternatives.

Hang in there! There's a home for them out there - you'll find the right one!

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah....seems to me those people were morons. And morons seem to "mass produce". No way no how are they adopting my boys. They either lied on their app or lied to me on the phone, so yeah, not adopting in general!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh no .... the boys need a good adoption

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they get homes where they will live and be loved forever, I guess that could 'override' some of the pain of knowing they had to be declawed, I guess. I would rather know they were declawed, than to know they had to be euthanized because no one wanted them in the end, I guess.

Good luck with your decision when ever it comes!!! I hope they wind up in a loving forever home, no matter what...because that is what it is all about! We want to keep these pets AWAY from euthanasia, not send them to it!!!

It sure sounds like the right decision was made for now...geesh!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww man! There's got to be somebody out there who wants 2 handsome, fun kitties!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No worries about them being euthanized.
would freeze over before I'd let that happen!

I bet you don't know....I've been fostering these boys since they were 6 weeks old. They'll stay with me until they die or get adopted, whichever comes first.

Punky is neurotic. He would not deal well with being declawed. He would become a biter/sprayer/walk funny. He's just.....he's a freak-a-zoid.

Once again....any TCS members are welcome to them.....fully vetted...adoption fee $50!

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it wasn't the right home for the boys! But many many vibes for the right home to come along to them!!

I am little bit new so I don't know the back story for these sweet boys. Could some one either fill me in or send me a link to the thread(s) so that I will understand why such cute boys aren't adoptable?? Thanks!!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it didn't work out for the boys... I know there is a great home out there for them! Many Many thanks for taking care of the kids in the mean time!!!

I do my own rescue work, and therefore make my own rules fortunately
I feel people out about the declaw issue initially, but in the end, no kids from me go to a home where they are going to be mutilated. I believe education is the only cure for ignorance. I think honestly most people are willing to learn, but there are always some out there that just aren't. And try as you may, there just isn't much you can do.

Best of luck for peaceful co-existence and a stress free home in the meantime with the boys are with you!!!!