Pinching Pennies - It All Adds Up?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HE whirlpool top loader (I HATE front loaders!), it's a bit fancy for me but it's hard to find an old school washing machine.
I'm planing to install a clothes line after we get our deck built in the back yard.:thumbsup:

Totally agree, NOTHING is made to last anymore!:gaah:
We have an industrial HE front loader and I'm with you. I'm done with front loaders.
Does it have settings for things like quick wash, or heavy duty/soak? Things like dusty rugs get the 24 minute quick wash, while barfed up hairy cat blankets get something like "heavy duty, soak, pre-wash, add bleach, you should probably just be throwing this thing out" cycle.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I posted previously, I am frugal- to a point. That trait allowed Michele and I to pay off a 30 year mortgage in 11 1/2 years. We drive a 13 year old vehicle, but it is kept in good repair. We spend money, we just do it carefully. We are by no stretch of the imagination rich, but we have enough to meet our needs, and it's all because of our earlier frugality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
while barfed up hairy cat blankets get something like "heavy duty, soak, pre-wash, add bleach, you should probably just be throwing this thing out" cycle.
You ALWAYS find a way to make me literally laugh out loud. I startled my cat who was sleeping on my lap!:lol:

And yes it has the quick wash settings, heavy duty, delicate, normal, bulky/bedding etc......I use quick wash a lot. And always cold water.

We also have a garden, and I do grow some vegetables. Although this year was a horrible start to spring and I just never got the chance to get it done this year. :(
My husband owns his own business, so we practice what we preach and try our best to support local. I'm thinking of buying a half cow from a local farm next season. There price is VERY reasonable and I know where it comes from. I also tend to not buy produce if it's not in season, it's so expensive sometimes. Did you know that at one point one head of cauliflower was 7 dollars?! Right now they're not that much better 4-5 but still...7????:thud:
And trust me when I say I know how to cook, I love cooking and I'm a very good baker as well (not to toot my own horn or anything!;)) And yes the slow cooker is a godsend!

Keep the ideas coming though as you are reminding me of things that I don't do as often as I should, and need to take back up again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When the kids were still at home we would buy a side of beef. Now that it is just me it makes no sense to do that. I have cut way back on the amount of meat that I eat for both health and financial reasons.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the grocery stores have sales on chicken or hot dogs or other meat, Michele will make multiple trips to the store to stock up, then break down the packaging and use a vacuum sealer to make smaller packages and load up the freezer.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When the grocery stores have sales on chicken or hot dogs or other meat, Michele will make multiple trips to the store to stock up, then break down the packaging and use a vacuum sealer to make smaller packages and load up the freezer.
Me too! I love my Foodsaver for packaging meats and vegetables for the freezer.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in a household where every penny counted. My folks were poor, but everybody else in the neighborhood was too. So we never realized it. No food was wasted, ever. There were no choices. You simply ate what was on the table and you were glad to get it. There was usually no leftovers. As toddlers, our grandmother made us dresses and gowns from chicken feed bags. We wore handed down clothing and were glad to get something new, even if it was handed down from a cousin or sister. Now, I am very frugal. I can't bear to see the food people waste in restaurants. My husband was raised the same way I was so he doesn't like waste either. We eat everything until it is gone. I use coupons all the time. I shop in thrift stores and always look for bargains.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My dad was a teenager during the Great Depression; my mom was just a bit younger. They saved and re-used everything. I used to joke that if you went into Mom’s kitchen and opened a drawer, dozens of empty, clean bread wrappers would explode out around you! :lol: Aluminum foil (it used to be tin foil and very stiff) was washed, folded carefully, and put in a drawer to be used again. We almost never ate out, we grew a lot of our own food, and we took very good care of our clothes so they would last. Money was to be saved, not spent. So that’s how I grew up.

I still wash and re-use aluminum foil and plastic bags unless they’re too far gone or it wouldn’t be sanitary. I have clothes I’ve had for years because I take care of them. We rarely eat out and don’t waste the food we have at home. I cut the top off of plastic bottles to get everything out because I refuse to let the evil bottle manufacturers make me waste whatever it is. And I also squeeze out the last bit of toothpaste possible. :) We discontinued cable and stream shows which I estimate saves us several hundred dollars a year. We also buy in bulk from Costco, but we’re lucky to have lots of storage space.

When we were working, we saved way more than we spent and bought less expensive houses than the bank told us our credit would allow.

But I don’t skimp on the cats! :catrub:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was born in 1910, and my mother in 1915, and we were always lectured about how it was during the Depression if they thought we were wasting anything at all.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You ALWAYS find a way to make me literally laugh out loud. I startled my cat who was sleeping on my lap!:lol:

And yes it has the quick wash settings, heavy duty, delicate, normal, bulky/bedding etc......I use quick wash a lot. And always cold water.

We also have a garden, and I do grow some vegetables. Although this year was a horrible start to spring and I just never got the chance to get it done this year. :(
My husband owns his own business, so we practice what we preach and try our best to support local. I'm thinking of buying a half cow from a local farm next season. There price is VERY reasonable and I know where it comes from. I also tend to not buy produce if it's not in season, it's so expensive sometimes. Did you know that at one point one head of cauliflower was 7 dollars?! Right now they're not that much better 4-5 but still...7????:thud:
And trust me when I say I know how to cook, I love cooking and I'm a very good baker as well (not to toot my own horn or anything!;)) And yes the slow cooker is a godsend!

Keep the ideas coming though as you are reminding me of things that I don't do as often as I should, and need to take back up again.
I live to serve :thumbsup:
If you can store that beef, I'd go for it. You can get it cheaper in bulk and if you have freezer storage room, it pays for itself over time.
7 dollars for cauliflower? No thanks.
Do you grow zucchini?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My father was born in 1913 and my mother in 1921. I heard the stories as well mainly from my father. They saved everything and always lived below their means. My dad farmed. When he finally retired he sold all but 100 acres and rented that out, he still had that 100 acres when he died. The reason, memories of the Great Depression. He wanted to hang on to something of real value if the bottom fell out of everything and money became worthless.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was born in 1910, and my mother in 1915, and we were always lectured about how it was during the Depression if they thought we were wasting anything at all.
:agree:
What stinks is today things aren't made to last. You don't fix things anymore, you just throw them away and buy a new one.
We used to have a guy who fixed vacuum cleaners and carpet cleaners. He went out of business.
Remember the days when people had their shoes repaired?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on what the aluminum foil has been used for, I wash it off, let it dry. I wash zip top plastic bags, let them dry and use them over again. I buy food in bulk when it is on sale. I have a freezer and fill it full in summer months with fresh vegetables, beans, corn, and fruit too. I freeze pears and figs and blueberries from our yard. I have done some peaches this year too. My husband hunts and shoots one dear each season for our freezer. There is a meat processing company nearby that processes our meat. It is turned into cube steak, grilling burger with extra fat, bacon burger with steak and onion seasoning and venison sausage. I don't buy beef unless I want a T bone for the grill.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Depending on what the aluminum foil has been used for, I wash it off, let it dry. I wash zip top plastic bags, let them dry and use them over again. I buy food in bulk when it is on sale. I have a freezer and fill it full in summer months with fresh vegetables, beans, corn, and fruit too. I freeze pears and figs and blueberries from our yard. I have done some peaches this year too. My husband hunts and shoots one dear each season for our freezer. There is a meat processing company nearby that processes our meat. It is turned into cube steak, grilling burger with extra fat, bacon burger with steak and onion seasoning and venison sausage. I don't buy beef unless I want a T bone for the grill.
Thats how it should be done. Deer meat is so much healthier than the stuff in the stores. I've got abunch of coworkers who do this as well. We had one guy who hunted bear as he used the fur and of course ate the meat. I envy those who hunt. I dont have the space to do this otherwise I would.

I am the queen of cheap. My sister is always in debt or spending money on stuff. She used to get mad at me in my teens as I wanted to go to goodwill instead of the mall. I buy new clothes if it's something that fits well and isn't scratchy. I'm very fussy about material and most stuff is uncomfortable. I much prefer thrift stores. Every year at Christmas I cringe at how much money people waste. I try to buy on sale or at yard sales during the rest of the year.

I tend to wear my clothes until they are falling apart or I donate to goodwill etc if they don't fit.

I tend to not buy impulse items and use a list at grocery store. Lately been trying hard to pinch pennies because I want to pay off my home. Ive managed to cut my mortgage down 65% but still have a ways to go. I dont pay interest on credit cards. I opted to live in a smaller place so I can pay it off faster.

I had to finance my vehicle but I was able to put down 1/3 of the money on it and once the fall comes, I will pay double payments on it to get rid of that loan. I want to be like Dave Ramsey and live like no one else can so I can live like no one else...I followed his debt plan to get rid of past bills.

Thrift stores are my thing..and I used to yard sale all the time but I've got my place set up so dont need yard sales anymore...we dont go out to eat as much and I try to avoid the fast food places and instead grab ready made at the grocery store instead of giving money to the chain fast food restaurants.

I think it's good to try to be frugal. It sure helps when one needs a rainy day account to help with unexpected costs. Even growing up, i was a saver. I didnt like to spend and rather have it add up to get something big.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been a coupon user for decades. Don't shop without a list and my coupons. I really like it when I can do a B1G1 sale and use a coupon with it. Or find a really good sale and use a coupon.

We have two freezers: one for meats and poultry, and one for vegetables, fruits, leftovers, pies, cookies, breads, etc. I keep a running list of What's in the Freezer? for each freezer, so I have an idea of what's in there, what's getting close to needing to be used, etc. I freeze applesauce every year, and, this year, I'm going to freeze peaches, using blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 idea for freezing without them getting mushy. For the most part, I make my own breads and rolls and throw them into the freezer; rolls come in handy when we have soup and salad or spaghetti. If I make lasagna or baked ziti, I make 2, sometimes 3 pans, and throw the extra in the freezer. We are big on soups, esp during the winter and leftovers always get frozen. Same with pots of chili and pasta sauce.

We'll buy a ton of apples, I'll make sauce, throw together a bunch of pies and dumplings and toss them into the freezer. Same with peaches, can some peaches, make a bunch of peach pies and freeze.

We don't go out to eat that often. I cook. Rick has been taking over some of the cooking since he's retired. But he doesn't enjoy it and I hate to make him do it.

I like Christopher and Bank for my work clothing, but only buy when there's a sale and I have coupons. Same with Rick; we try to think ahead a little bit and buy when something is on sale. That way he always has what he needs.

Rick has a 2006 Tundra and he says he'll probably never need another truck. He bought it used and it works well. I have Clarence, my 2001 PT Cruiser that I bought new in 2001, and we have the Hyundai Tucson, a 2012 vehicle that we bought new. I'm not saying we'll never trade the Tucson in, but right now, we're OK with it.

The shed. Well, you all know that we're working on a she-shed. And yes, sometimes I feel guilty about spending money on the shed. But it's my money; I saved for a long time, just because. I'd get my "allowance" from Rick, who's the financial guru in the family. I'd spend some of it, but most of it went into the bank, just because. So when Rick suggested that we do the shed, it seemed to be (and still is) a good idea. I'm going to need a place for me after I retire. And it really is that simple. Our house is paid off, thankfully.

We do have credit cards and we use them. They're paid in full every month.

No skimping on the cats. Or The Beast. Nobody will starve to death. They all drink bottled spring water. They go to the vet every six months; Ms. Pepe, because of her age, sees the vet about every four months. The Beast eats a special food from Royal Canin for bladder issues. We get it from Chewy.

We do what we can. I'm sure that, once we both retire, we'll be thinking of ways to cut back as we go.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option for preserving meat is canning. Several years ago, we split a side of beef with another couple an had a marathon canning session, putting up cases and cases of beef, and the stuff was good for years. If you want T-bones however, the freezer is the answer.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am cheap - according to my husband. When the kids were growing up, before I went back to work full time, I had a veggie garden and never had to buy veggies in the summer and only a few in winter (I froze a lot). I started gardening again on a smaller scale this year since I have retired. I didn't want to push it, but next year the garden will be bigger. Our house is paid off with the exception of about $400 from our kitchen remodel, but the cars aren't. Because my husband uses his car for his job he has to have a good car and he won't let me rive a clunker since I travel to the cat shows. I make a list when I go to the store, try to plan out our meals, around the sales, for the week. We rarely eat out or go to the movies. We got rid of our land line since we have cell phones, use Roku instead of having cable. I only buy clothes on sale - and clothes have to be falling apart for me to replace them. I, however will not buy clothes in a second hand store. There is NOTHING wrong with it, but that was all I had when I was young and got made fun off at school for it. I vowed I would never wear them when I was grown. I have one credit card that is only used for emergencies and is paid in full so there is no interest. When it comes to work around the house, if I can do it instead of hiring someone, I will. The exception is electrical or plumbing. For the pets shots, I use a clinic a local pet food store has once a week instead of taking them to our vet - half the cost for the same shot given by their vet. Of course I used to give all but the rabies shots myself, but I have to admit it is much easier to take them. I keep a supply of the common antibiotics on hand so if the vet prescribes it, I have it - much less expensive than getting from him ( he knows I do this and is okay with it).

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought meat at the local grocery store in 2 years, we buy in bulk at a butcher and split it up into individual meals. I priced it out, we save at least$50 a month. I also cut marinades with 1/2 vinegar to stretch it. For both savings and health reasons, when shopping we don't go down the snack aisles. Every Thanksgiving, I use the turkey frame, spices, and bruised veggies to make my own stock for soups and freeze it. I only buy Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks coffee if I have a gift card, and even then, I'll usually just buy a couple of bags of beans. I haven't bought a gift bag in years, I just cut the name tag off and reuse it. I can't day I save on clothes, I'm freakishly tall for a woman, so if something fits properly, I kind of have to get it right away or it'll be gone, as they just make things for normal to short women.