Pinching Pennies - It All Adds Up?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I think I'm frugal and smart with my money (for the most part - I still have not started any RRSPs yet, and I'm in my 30s :nono:), and some may think that some of the ways I save money are a bit much, but IMO, pinching pennies, when you do it with all things adds up to many many dollars. I do get positive comments on my saving ways, as well as negative, people calling me cheap or those who think I'm ridiculous, or dismiss something because it's too much of a hassle or inconvenient to do, but I will always find ways to stretch a dollar.

For example:
When I get down to (what seems like) the end of a tube of toothpaste, I will take a flat edged "something" and press and slide it up the tube to push the remnants to the opening. I always get a few extra days out of that tube of toothpaste. And over the course of a year that adds up to a few tubs of toothpaste. And at 2-6 dollars a piece (depending on size), plus tax (I'm in Canada) that adds up.
I'm also a chapstick junkie, but when I get to the end of the stick, there is still several applications left in the plastic holder. Most people will just throw it away, but I have a little container that I scrape the contents into, and just use my finger to apply it. (this also applies to concealer sticks, lipsticks...etc.
I have also never had to buy any tissue paper or gift bags...ever. When I receive a gift or am at a family event (like Christmas) where multiple people are receiving gifts, I will fold and keep the tissue paper and bags from others as well (if they don't want them).
I also reuse cards given to me. If there is no writing on the back of where the picture is, I will cut out the pretty picture from the card and use it the next season as a gift tag.
Here in Canada, the government has stopped making pennies, and they are no longer in circulation. They still count digitally, but if you pay in cash it will either round up or down to the nearest nickle. They (the government) say, that in the end it all evens out. And because most people pay digitally (debit/credit) those extra pennies that people would pay out if the purchase rounds UP to the nearest nickle, wouldn't cause an issue. But I have taken that to a new level. If I notice my purchase will round down, I will pay cash, if it would otherwise round up, I will pay digitally so it doesn't round up at all.
I also use coupons, even if it's just 25 cents...And being frugal means buying and planning based on sales and not being "brand loyal".

As stupid or useless as this may sound to some, as I said, if you do it every time, it can add up to a lot of money saved.
Am I crazy?
How are some of the ways you stretch a dollar? (I could always use new ideas!:thumbsup:)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some things I think aren't worth the time and trouble. For me, of course; other people's lives are different and maybe it's worth it to them. Like I don't bother with the little bit left of chapsticks. For me, that's just too much trouble for the small payoff. I also don't have the patience to think about whether my purchase rounds up or down, but that doesn't apply in the US anyway. Plus I don't carry cash. I do cut toothpaste tubes open to get the rest out, but mostly because I don't want to waste it, I doubt it adds up to even half a tube over the course of a year. But I live alone so I'm not even sure I use a whole tube in a year, lol.

For me, buying in bulk is the best money saver. I have the storage space, although I still have to consider whether I'll use it all before it goes bad. But stuff like toilet paper? Oh yeah. Costco here I come. Pet food too---if you buy the biggest size, it can cost almost half of what a smaller size costs per pound/ounce. But if someone only has one cat, that just isn't going to work for them. So, yeah, it all depends on your individual circumstances.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't take it to the level that you do, my parents did. I have been called cheap though. For me it is more things that I don't do because I think they are a waste of money. There are people at work that get lunch delivered every day so there is a delivery fee and tip involved. I don't do that. Sometimes someone is asking around if anyone else wants to put an order in with theirs and I don't. I see people who bring a Starbucks drink in with them every day. I like Starbucks but for me it is an every once in awhile treat. I always buy clothes when the stores are having their sales to free up space for the next season, I never pay full price for clothes.

The one thing that I don't skimp on is the cats, I have helped put a vet's child through college. Patches had a chronic illness and he had every recommended test and ultrasound as well as staying at the vet's a few times. Alice has CKD so she gets blood work every six months as well as the expensive prescription food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, buying in bulk is the best money saver.
I do that too. And when something is on sale I stock up also. Butter freezes really well, so when it goes on sale for 2.88 (the cheapest sale you will ever find here) I will buy the limit set by the store and even go back a few times to buy the limit again. I have a good 30 pounds of butter in my freezer right now! :biggrin:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing that I don't skimp on is the cats
Agree totally, I will never let my frugal ways affect the health or well being of my cats or my family. And like you I think I've paid for a college tuition for my vet's kids as well, or at least a few vacations!
And I'm sure it goes without saying that I never buy my lunches or go to starbucks either, lol!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grocery bills have skyrocketed, so I've had to implement some cost-saving measures. And by that, I mean the total of weekly groceries. I used to buy a replacement when I ran low on something, but I stopped because if it was something like a spice that I don't use very often, it could be weeks or even months before I opened the new one. And I can do without popcorn for a week, too. I don't buy those two for $4 or whatever deals, either. I just buy one because it's $2 at my grocery. I can't buy in bulk because I don't have enough space for storage, but if hamburger is on sale, I will buy several pounds of that. I do buy the buy one, get one free items, and I buy store-brand items if the quality is good. (The peanut butter was terrible, lumpy as all get-out.)

I buy all my clothes on sale, too, online, especially at the end of the season. Sometimes I get 50% off.

I have a cash-back credit card, and pay it all off at the end of the month. That actually earns a small amount for me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are doing is the same sort of practice that I grew up with- that WWII mentality of " Use it up, wear it out; make it do or do without". As a result, I'm frugal, at least to a point, but only to a point. I started saving when still in grade school, when for 10 cents you could buy a savings stamp, and when you had filled the book, you got a $25 savings bond. I sent home most of my pay when I was in the service, and when IRAs were first offered in 1978, I started one. It was only $100 a month, but when I retired, it came to well in the 6 figures. Combined with the 401k that was later established, and Social Security, I have entirely replaced my working pay.
Have we made sacrifices? Sure we have, as in no shiny new vehicle every couple of years, and no fancy vacations, or new clothes just because, but all in all, it was a worthwhile trade-off.
So no, I don't think you are crazy, because every little bit, over time, can really add up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as in no shiny new vehicle every couple of years, and no fancy vacations, or new clothes just because,
I always wonder how other people (who I know make the same or less than I do) manage to do stuff like that. I can only guess that they have a higher tolerance for debt than I do. I HATE paying interest. The only debt I have is the house. Because if they aren't deeply in debt, I don't know how they do it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have we made sacrifices? Sure we have, as in no shiny new vehicle every couple of years, and no fancy vacations, or new clothes just because, but all in all, it was a worthwhile trade-off.
So no, I don't think you are crazy, because every little bit, over time, can really add up.
I've noticed, too, after I grew up, that we didn't replace things back then like people do now. No one back in the '50s thought of replacing windows, doors, mattresses, or furniture. Those things, including china and flatware, were intended to be used for a lifetime. Nowadays, we have to have a makeover every few years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wonder how other people (who I know make the same or less than I do) manage to do stuff like that. I can only guess that they have a higher tolerance for debt than I do. I HATE paying interest. The only debt I have is the house. Because if they aren't deeply in debt, I don't know how they do it.
My oldest sister and her husband were like that, and they were always in debt up to their eyeballs.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and now there's a blog floating around on how to budget by someone claiming to have wiped out $77,000 in debt in three years. Her budget sounds a little flaky, though, as she says she retired $26,000 in debt in three months when her income during that period was $18,000. She used a magic wand, I suppose.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely frugal, and I don't throw anything away if I can still use it for something else like my old worn out clothing gets used for cleaning rags or Cat bedding. I almost never pay full price for anything, I check fliers and clip coupons (though nowadays it's all digital so I don't actually need to clip them), I take full advantage of BOGO deals and buy in bulk, and I will tear through clearance racks and bargain bins to see what's buried in the back or on the bottom.

I have to drive 45 minutes to do my weekly shopping, but it helps that there's a Kroger, Meijer, Aldi, and Pet Supplies Plus all in the same area literally right across the street from eachother.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Most definitely frugal but I also love shopping and finding beautiful things for my home. So while I don’t buy every time I shop I visit the thrift shop every day. When my sewing machine broke last winter, I found its replacement for $15. My kitchen aid mixer is the top of the line, came with a bag of accessories and cost $5. From lamps to furniture to wall art and kitchen accessories, it’s all second hand and half the price or much less than new.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned goods, dry goods, boxed goods, and things that don't expire all get bought in very large bulk. We clean the pantries out twice a year and check for exp. dates and make sure the first to expire is first to use on the shelf.
It sounds old fashioned but if you're just going on your usual weekly grocery run, make out a list of things you need with a few wants, estimate the cost, and stick to your list. If you've got a list that totals about $75 in your hand and you've got $100 in your pocket, it will make you think before buying a bunch of things on impulse.
Use things like grocery bags for small trashcan liners.
Give a cat an old box and they'll have the best new toy for the next 6 months.
If you have cats or dogs that like toys, keep 5 or 6 hidden away and rotate them. Every week it will seem to them like you got them a new toy, and pick an old one up and hide it away for a few weeks in the future.
Shop thrift stores. You can find some really nice, brand new stuff and be entertained by laughing at the really bad stuff.
Going out to dinner is fun and so is going to the movies, but it costs a lot. Do this once a week instead of twice, and one night a week (or more) volunteer somewhere. It's free and makes you feel good inside, and is something to do where you can meet new people and help others.
If you can, ignore fashion trends to keep from buying a new wardrobe 4 times a year. Yike$.
Old pots, pans, baking sheets or casserole dishes that look so bad you're thinking about replacing them can be cleaned up with either Comet or bon ami or bar keepers friend, or a mixture of baking soda and plain castile soap.
Make your own shampoo, soap, etc.
Make your own laundry detergent.
If you see a large purchase, big ticket item, that you just have to have, think about it for 2 weeks and see if you really still want it that bad then. If you do, price shop. If you decide to buy it, consider how it will look in 6 months. If it's a new car, it won't look so shiny like it does on the show room floor. It'll have some dust, some fast food wrappers tossed in the back, and won't look so enticing.

I'm full of good ideas, and as my wife says, other things too :redtongue:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going out to dinner is fun and so is going to the movies, but it costs a lot. Do this once a week instead of twice
Once a week!!!!:shocked:
Try once a month (if that), and only one of the two, not both! LOL!

If you can, ignore fashion trends to keep from buying a new wardrobe 4 times a year. Yike$.
I still have some clothes from high school (I'm in my late 30s now :oops:)

And pretty much everything you mention, I do, except for making my own laundry detergent. I sometimes use vinegar and baking soda for some washes, but I still buy detergent (only on sale though!)

I'm full of good ideas, and as my wife says, other things too :redtongue:
:lol:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And pretty much everything you mention, I do, except for making my own laundry detergent. I sometimes use vinegar and baking soda for some washes, but I still buy detergent (only on sale though!)

I still have clothes from when I was in HS too, and up until just the past 3 or 4 years they still fit. I've gone from a 30/30 to 32/30 for my jeans. I really need to get back into being more active.

That's something else that bothers me though. Some of the jeans I bought when I was in HS and shortly after are still in decent condition despite being over 20 years old, but jeans I bought 5 years ago are already falling apart.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The last time we went out to a restaurant was I think in March of 2017, but I know some folks dine out a lot.
The jeans I'm wearing are older than you :lol: They're just a little rough around the edges, kind of like the wearer ;)
What type of a washing machine do you have?
Oh, and if you have the space, and allowance (renting, etc) and the weather permits, get a clothes line.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HE whirlpool top loader (I HATE front loaders!), it's a bit fancy for me but it's hard to find an old school washing machine.
I'm planing to install a clothes line after we get our deck built in the back yard.:thumbsup:

That's something else that bothers me though. Some of the jeans I bought when I was in HS and shortly after are still in decent condition despite being over 20 years old, but jeans I bought 5 years ago are already falling apart.
Totally agree, NOTHING is made to last anymore!:gaah:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grow some of your own food if at all possible. I know in some climates and situations it's not that easy but check around. Some communities have communal gardens or green houses that you can use to grow food. Check for a CSA in your area, it's fresher, usually cheaper (sometimes half the price), and you're paying a local "every day guy" farmer so his kid can take ballet lessons vs. paying a big corporation that doesn't really need your money.
Take not on any kind of food or drink you find yourself wasting a lot of and don't buy as much. Soda or coffee drinkers who take one sip, then realize 30 minutes later their soda is flat or coffee is cold, raise your hand. (I'm raising my hand, on the coffee part.)
Learn to cook, and learn to utilize a crock pot. You can make really good, nutritious meals for cheap.