(PICTURES) SWELLING AFTER SPAY- should i be worried?

yeowoobi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PLEASE READ

hi! ive gotten very worried and i felt like i had no choice but to come here.

context. my kitten (around 7 months now) got spayed exactly a week ago. everything seemed to be fine, we did daily vet checkups and such for about 5 days after the pperation. everything fine, she has an e-collar, shes eating/drinking/pooping well

she was a little drowsy for the first few days but recently got back to her normal crazy self 😭 it was only last night when i noticed this swelling at the incision site.

its firm, not red, not warm to the touch and shes still acting fine. it barely even shows when shes laying down on her side or standing up.. shes active, eating well and such but i’m still very worried. could it be a seroma from moving around too much or does it look like normal swelling? or does it look like something worse (ex. a hernia?)

i really want to go check things out but im afraid im being a little too paranoid 😭 (plus, everyone in the house is busy and ramadan timings also make it a little hard for us to get to the vet..) so PLEASE reddit tell me if anything looks horrible or if i should wait another day or two :(

(also, my vet advised me to take off her e-collar today, 7 days post surgery. how do we feel abt that?)

E0062C32-3C7D-4E7D-A7F4-460739935759.jpeg
E902C787-CF2C-4249-A965-445039C74E59.jpeg
F6F3355F-557C-4F73-B6EF-964564574FCD.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I never saw a similar reaction post-op in a cat, especially after a week. On the other hand, the incision isn't reddish or warm, and the cat is acting normally, so it is weird.
Anyway, I wouldn't take a chance, and I would send the photos and the description to the vet and ask them what they think of it. Much better if you were able to take her to the vet so that he can visit her and feel the situation with his hands.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had many cats with this and after panicking and bringing them to the vet find out it is normal from the trauma and dissolving stitches internally. If it is not hot, not red, and no discharge, I'd observe it for a while. Of course, if it gets worse, bring her in. I have never used an E collar either and have never had a problem, they lick it a little and tehn leave it alone.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had many cats with this and after panicking and bringing them to the vet find out it is normal from the trauma and dissolving stitches internally. If it is not hot, not red, and no discharge, I'd observe it for a while. Of course, if it gets worse, bring her in. I have never used an E collar either and have never had a problem, they lick it a little and tehn leave it alone.
Agree

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks great! You want to look for angry redness at the incision site, weeping from the incision, or any change in behavior (sleeping more), litter box habits, or play habits. Those signs need to be seen by the vet.