Pickle's Pregnancy & Nursing

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I am new here :)
My cat, Pickles is on day 59 of her first and only pregnancy. She snuck out on New Year's Eve and I didn't even know she was in heat. She is 2 years old and a dilute tortie.
She has semi long fur and I noticed today she had some soft poos. Sure enough it's caked onto her hind end and her fur. I'm not sure if she just can't reach it or what.
She is not an affectionate cat. I cannot pick her up or groom her in any way. That is part of the reason she hasn't been spayed. She will lie on me on her own timing and let me pat her head and scratch her chin. But anything below the neck is off limits.
So any tips on getting her cleaned up? Also do you think the diarrhea is a sign of imminent labor? I'm so anxious I can't wait for the babies to arrive! I'm attaching a few pictures. One shows her width as she is eating from her cat tree. She is normally a very slim kitty.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!! What a cutie :redheartpump:
Can you do a little cleanup of her rear end while she is asleep?

In the meantime, try leaving treats in a carrier, and let her eat them while the door is propped open. Then when you're ready to get her spayed you should be able to tempt her in to the carrier.

Here are a few articles - they aren't long and will be helpful for you;

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From this thread: pregnant cat with diarrhea

It seems like diarrhea can occur just before labor begins (see posts #4 and 5). Hopefully, she still has a few more days before delivery (the average gestation length for cats is 64 days, with 61-67 considered the normal range). If she doesn’t deliver the kittens soon, and the diarrhea persists, I would recommend making a vet appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pickles is doing ok. I haven't noticed more diarrhea but more solid poo. She is still eating.
Yesterday she was feeling frisky and running through the house and even climbed our large cat tree. Today she has been lazy and not moving much. I did feel the babies moving earlier. She keeps lying on her back with her legs outstretched. I'm guessing she's just trying to get comfy with her big belly. So anxious to see what she has!!

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 61 and about the same. She is still seeming to have trouble getting comfy. I've noticed her belly getting much harder as well as bigger. She did jump onto the stair railing and sat for a bit. I think she enjoys making me nervous.

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 63 and no real noticeable changes. Her poor belly is so big and feels hard. I've felt less movement from babies but I think it's because they're running out of room.
I'm way more anxious than she is. She's content sleeping in the window all day.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gathering up her strength for the BIG DAY! Smart little momma, her instincts are telling her to rest up, besides, in her condition, what else is she going to do?;):dunno:

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pickles is still hanging in there. I've been making dogs sleep elsewhere and she's enjoying sharing the bed with me.

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has chilled out a lot today. She even let me check her belly just now without growls or bites. I was definitely able to express a milk drop. I'm guessing soon!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She has chilled out a lot today. She even let me check her belly just now without growls or bites. I was definitely able to express a milk drop. I'm guessing soon!!
Milk production usually starts a day or two before delivery, so not too long now!