Photo/video Diary Of Sushi Toilet Training

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad someone is trying this and made a thread, thanks! I just ordered a litter box I will use at night in case the kid is down on the toilets (my son sleepwalks) so I will keep it in the office, only available at night for emergencies. At first, I will remove one box and let this one “get dirty” I will start this weekend. Wish us luck!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! Thanks for the videos. I don't think my cats would fit in that hole though, they are about 18 inches long!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a litter box I will use at night in case the kid is down on the toilets (my son sleepwalks) so I will keep it in the office, only available at night for emergencies.
It is more challenging when there is no designated T for the cat for TT. Are you planning on having the "emergency" LB throughout TT and beyond? Just a little heads up. Cats are very smart. When TT gets tough, they may learn to hold it until there is access to the easier option (ie LB). If at all possible, think of your cat in TT as king of the house with VIP access to the T.

At first, I will remove one box and let this one “get dirty”
Are you planning on removing one box while letting the other get dirty? Leaving only one dirty LB for your cat is a big NO NO. Definitely have the target LB in the BR for the cat to choose freely.

Good luck to you and me:)

Cool! Thanks for the videos. I don't think my cats would fit in that hole though, they are about 18 inches long!
You'd be surprised how compact cats actually are and how they can fit into the tiniest places. If you look closely at the cat's stance while doing its business, the four paws are quite close to each other and do not occupy a lot of real estate. If a cat is litter trained, agile, confident and is cared for by a TT-minded owner, then it can be a potential candidate for TT.

Here are a few laughs for you:)

daisie&SuShi

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is more challenging when there is no designated T for the cat for TT. Are you planning on having the "emergency" LB throughout TT and beyond? Just a little heads up. Cats are very smart. When TT gets tough, they may learn to hold it until there is access to the easier option (ie LB). If at all possible, think of your cat in TT as king of the house with VIP access to the T.

Are you planning on removing one box while letting the other get dirty? Leaving only one dirty LB for your cat is a big NO NO. Definitely have the target LB in the BR for the cat to choose freely.

Good luck to you and me:)

You'd be surprised how compact cats actually are and how they can fit into the tiniest places. If you look closely at the cat's stance while doing its business, the four paws are quite close to each other and do not occupy a lot of real estate. If a cat is litter trained, agile, confident and is cared for by a TT-minded owner, then it can be a potential candidate for TT.

Here are a few laughs for you:)

daisie&SuShi
Thanks, I completely agree with you! It’s mainly because of my sons sleepwalking and not the cat that has me worried about the training. We have two bathrooms, but there’s no telling where he wanders at night, closing doors, covers etc. That’s why I want to start with a back up at night. Hopefully she can get used to using either toilet eventually if a door is closed etc. Thanks for the laughs!

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recap:

TT start date: March 8, 2018

Progressions:
1. LK raised from floor to side table (day 5)
2. litter changed from clay to crystal (day day 7)

Day 9 [March 16, 2018): LK in T

Days 10 to 13: 100% compliant

Day 14 (March 21, 2018): LK tray changed from red to intermediate amber

Observations:

1. SuShi showing signs of hesitation but managed to complete #1
2. Design flow with the intermediate amber tray:
The inner-most ring holds urine but not much litter. You can see in the video SuShi stepping into the urine on her way out ... yucky! I have 2 plans to remedy this. For now, I fast forwarded to the full amber tray. If SuShi rejects it, then I will return the intermediate amber tray but will drill some small holes into the inner-most ring to allow for urine drainage.

Day 14 [March 21, 2018] #1

Here you can see urine collected but not drained nor absorbed by litter

That's all for now. Thanks for looking:)
daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is an update.

The inner-most ring of the intermediate amber tray held urine but not litter causing SuShi to step in the urine and track it around. That was not acceptable to me so I took a chance and fast forwarded her to the next tray without the inner circle. Apparently, drilling holes into the inside ring was not effective for drainage:( SuShi didn't like the gaping hole so I decided it's best to backtrack to the LB stage and start over with the DL method.

Steps to take when kitty rebels:

1. Clean and render crime scene(s) inaccessible
2. Backtrack to last step accepted by cat
3. Catch and correct >> not feasible for me
4. Change strategy (eg switch from DLB method to DL method)

DL: disappearing litter (advantage: stable, sturdy platform right to the end)
DLB: disappearing LB ie maintain litter but reduce real estate

We are starting over with the DL method.

Day 1 [March 24/18]: LB next to T

Thanks for checking.
daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Day 2 (March 25/18): LB on side table, no accidents

Day 3 (March 26/18): added platform onto LB

Purpose of platform: To separate cat from litter.

TT tips:

- Always make changes to setup after #2 because the next business is usually #1. #1 is easier than #2 so it would be better for the cat to test out the new setup with #1 before #2.
- Monitor cat closely after setup changes. SuShi usually would show signs of hesitation after major setup changes. If I notice her hesitating, I would put her on the new setup and take her paws to swipe the litter just to remind her that is the correct place to go.
- Keeping the LB too immaculate can backfire. SuShi was sniffing and hesitating until I placed some of her soiled litter on top. She quickly went after smelling the old litter.

Day 4 (March 27/18): no change in setup

Achievements thus far:

1. Changed L from clumping clay to crystal
2. Changed LB size and location: currently on a side table next to T.
3. Separated cat from L using paltform: 3 out of 4 paws out of the L.

Thanks for looking:)
daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. SuShi has a very sweet disposition. She just doesn't like being picked up.

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 7 to 8 [March 30 to 31, 2018]: all 4 paws out of L for #1 and #2

Next goal: setup in T by April 12 or six more #2's, whichever sooner

daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 12 to 13 [April 4 to 5/18]: setup in the T

SuShi unexpectedly went on the T on her own so I didn't hold her back and put the setup in the T 8 days ahead of schedule. In addition, I have reduced the L down to just a spoonful.

Next step: Wean off L over the next few days.

Key observations:

1. SuShi still needs L to do "prep work", more so for #2. Therefore, L reduction must be done cautiously.
2. For #2, SuShi went from 4 paws up back to only 3. Moving forward is not a good idea until she is back to 4 paws up.
3. SuShi is a stickler for cleanliness. This keeps her from going outside of the LB but it also presents a challenge at this stage of TT. Her business must be cleaned ASAP especially now that the LB is very small and barely has any L in it.

Thanks for looking and see you at the next instalment:)
daisie&SuShi

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SuShi did great in the first video. All 4 paws on the seat! :)

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, SuShi has been a model trainee so far with zero mistakes and moving faster than I had planned. She did drop 1 paw for #2 but it looks to me like she just ran out of time to get into position. Now for the biggest challenge, the home stretch to go from seeing a solid bottom to seeing water. Wish us luck!

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Day 14 to 16
[April 6 to 8, 2018]: L weaned off

Day 17 to 19 [April 9 to 11, 2018]:

- no more L (ie empty bowl)
- introduced species specific cat music

Day 20 [April 12, 2018]: Removed bowl exposing T water

Day 21 [April 13, 2018]:

- SuShi went #1 on T seat
- Returned bowl

Day 22 to 26 [April 14 to 18, 2018]: 8mm hole was cut out in bottom of bowl

Summary (Days 14 to 26: April 6 to 18, 2018)

1. L was weaned off without incident and we have been L free since day 17, April 9, 2018.

2. Going from empty bowl straight to no bowl was rejected by SuShi thus necessitating a change of strategy. An 8mm hole was cut out of the bowl. The plan is to slowly expand it until the entire bottom is removed.

3. Species specific cat music assisted in relaxing SuShi and made her business much more regular than before. #1 went from 1 to 2 times daily to twice daily and #2 went from every 24 to 46 hours to once daily.

4. SuShi has demonstrated high affinity for the T even when presented with an unfavourable situation. When the bowl was removed, she got distracted and didn’t know what to do with the water below. However, she remained on the T (seat). Her love for cleanliness has been a great contributor for our accident free success so far.

daisie&SuShi

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job SuShi! Yeah, it was probably a little scary seeing the hole with the water below, good idea to expand it slowly. :)

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you magiedemi:) SuShi is very smart and has exceeded all my expectations. I only hope that the home stretch will be as uneventful as possible.

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

It's been over a year since SuShi has been toilet trained and we have never looked back:)

FAQs:

1. Why use cat music?

TT can be stressful for the cat. Species specific music helps the cat relax. Cats enjoy frequencies and tempos that mimic the sounds of purring and birds.

2. Will a TT'd cat go back to using the T if it were given back the LB while the owner is on vacation?

Yes. SuShi went from using the LB for 3 weeks at the pet sitter's back to using the T with no problems.

3. Where can I get personalized coaching and advice for cat TT?

Yahoo! Groups

Best wishes!
daisie and SuShi

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. It's great to see you again. Thanks for the update! That's amazing, SuShi is so smart.

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi maggiedemi,

It is a real treat not to worry about the LB:)

daisie