Photo/video Diary Of Sushi Toilet Training

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

SuShi just started toilet training with Litter Kwitter. If enough people are interested in following us, we'll be happy to share photos and videos as we make progress.

Comments and/or tips are most welcome:)

daisie&SuShi

Please meet toilet trainee, SuShi:)
SuShi 2k1712092.jpg

Day 1 (March 8, 2018): LK on 4cm box next to T; regular LB blocked off
tt day 1.jpg

Day 2 (March 9, 2018): regular LB removed, LK raised onto second box
tt day 2.jpg

Day 3 (March 10, 2018): LK raised to 9"
tt day 3.jpg

Day 4 (March 11, 2018): no change

Day 5 (March 12, 2018): T raised onto 16" platform; LK goes on side table
tt day 5.jpg

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting but I have to gorilla tape the top of my tank on and have a clip for the lid because a certain cat in my home puts toys in it and messed up the flusher when she decided to play plumber one day while i was at work. I can see this working in a single cat household though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi kittens mom,

Wow, your cat can open the top of the tank? Amazing!

The breeder warned me about keeping the bathroom door closed and lid down because SuShi is fascinated with water in the toilet (T). I've been very careful and SuShi has actually never seen water in a T at my house before. I am hoping that once she understands what the T is for, she will not be playing with the water in it.

Hi maggiedemi,

Yes, SuShi has been using the setup 100%. She seems laid back, and nonchalant about it so far despite all the changes ie litter box (LB) to Litter Kwitter (LK), the litter (wood to clumping clay to crystal), and the location (now 32" off the floor).

I've got 2 motion sensing cameras installed to monitor her every act and will upload video clips when I get around to it.

Thanks all,
daisie&SuShi

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittens mom,

Wow, your cat can open the top of the tank? Amazing!

The breeder warned me about keeping the bathroom door closed and lid down because SuShi is fascinated with water in the toilet (T). I've been very careful and SuShi has actually never seen water in a T at my house before. I am hoping that once she understands what the T is for, she will not be playing with the water in it.

Hi maggiedemi,

Yes, SuShi has been using the setup 100%. She seems laid back, and nonchalant about it so far despite all the changes ie litter box (LB) to Litter Kwitter (LK), the litter (wood to clumping clay to crystal), and the location (now 32" off the floor).

I've got 2 motion sensing cameras installed to monitor her every act and will upload video clips when I get around to it.

Thanks all,
daisie&SuShi
Yes she did and I was shocked. Lucky you can buy replacement tops. My kitchen cupboards are gorilla taped shut.
toad eye.JPG

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="My kitchen cupboards are gorilla taped shut.
View attachment 223346[/QUOTE]
OMG! Sounds like the total opposite of my SuShi. SuShi tip toes around everything and is careful not to cause any disturbances. Her paw pads are soft as baby hands as if they have not touched much of anything.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="My kitchen cupboards are gorilla taped shut.
View attachment 223346
OMG! Sounds like the total opposite of my SuShi. SuShi tip toes around everything and is careful not to cause any disturbances. Her paw pads are soft as baby hands as if they have not touched much of anything.[/QUOTE]

If I touch it Toad must touch it. That's why this type of training works so well with some cats and one like mine it would likely be a total disaster. I've even given up the idea of one of the self cleaning litterboxes because I have no idea what she would do to that. She's not destructive just very intense. My Mercy looks like a doll face Persian and is every bit as dainty as your SuShi. Right now Toads sister Frog is in the tub soaking wet playing in a dripping faucet.
I'm really interested in following SuShi's progress. It's something interesting and about cats and their behaviors. My babies grew up on the catsite. Threads that follow a timeline are interesting not only to the readers but even i get a kick out seeing the old videos. Plus it can become a resource for others considering this type of training.

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea:) I will keep a photo/video log in my albums.

Btw, how do I upload videos in this thread and into my album? How do I make album public?

Thx
daisie&SuShi

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea:) I will keep a photo/video log in my albums.

Btw, how do I upload videos in this thread and into my album? How do I make album public?

Thx
daisie&SuShi
I post on FB and copy the link i don't know how others of video. SuShi is adorable.

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is an update on SuShi's TT progress.

FYI:

TT = toilet training
LK = Litter Kwitter
T = toilet
L = litter
LB = litter box

Days 6 to 8
(March 13 to 15): #1 & #2 100% successful

Day 9 (March 16, 2018): LK transferred to T

Days 10 to 12 (March 17 to 19): #1 & #2 100% successful

Next goal: one more successful #2s then switch to intermediate amber disc
Expected date of achievement: Wednesday, March 21, 2018

If and when I figure out how, I will be uploading videos as well. By watching how SuShi does her business, I can monitor and/or correct her stance in the upcoming stage. Proper paw placement will become crucial as we move onto the disc with a hole.

That's all for now.
daisie&Sushi

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I will complain there are not enough pictures of the SuShi.
Since the toilet is on a platform now is a functioning toilet and why the platform?

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SuShi 2k171209.jpg SuShi baby face.jpg That is a very good question. The toilet is installed exclusively for SuShi. Because it has to be in a location some distance from the original bathroom rough in, we need gravity to deliver the waste from the T to the outlet and hence had to raise the T onto a platform. It's not too bad actually ... looks like a royal throne:) Underneath the toilet is a pullout drawer for storage so there is functionality to the setup as well.

daisie&SuShi

Last edited by a moderator:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I love it she has her own potty. What a little doll she is. She looks tiny.
Homes modified or built with pets in mind are becoming more common.
So I got to ask does this flush like a regular toilet ?

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m happy to see this!! I’ve really wanted to do this, (we also use Crystal litter!) I bought aluminum turkey pans instead of the LK. The reason is price and being able to cut the hole slowly larger depending on the cat. The issue is, she had two litter boxes, and she doesn’t use the one in the bathroom as often. So do I eliminate the other and then train from there? I found this video and loved it!

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="kittens mom[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is just a normal toilet, nothing fancy.

[QUOTE="FlawlessImperfection[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing the video:)

Although inexpensive, the challenges with the RP (roasting pan) method may present challenges. It is relatively flimsy (not suitable for heavy cats) and it make popping noises which may spook the cat.

daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So do I eliminate the other and then train from there?
When presented with multiple choices, cats will choose the most desirable one. The trick is to operatively force a choice on them. Let one LB go dirty while keeping the one in the BR (bathroom) immaculate. Your cat will soon learn to prefer the clean LB.

HTH,
daisie&SuShi

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="kittens mom
Yes, it is just a normal toilet, nothing fancy.

[QUOTE="FlawlessImperfection[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing the video:)

Although inexpensive, the challenges with the RP (roasting pan) method may present challenges. It is relatively flimsy (not suitable for heavy cats) and it make popping noises which may spook the cat.

daisie&SuShi[/QUOTE]
Haha you and I think alike! I bought a rectangular one for the floor so she got used to the noise, and so far she’s quite light (but gaining fast!) I may change if she get much heavier. Thanks for the suggestion “of the clean box”, I’m really considering doing this now. I know once I start, I have to be ready to commit until it’s done, just like potty training! I took three days off before he turned two, and did nothing but train for three days, and he was done! I just have to be ready to commit to the kitty version 100%, I still have nightmares from the kid version lol!

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TT is very much like a mind game. The trainer has to think like a cat and make the cat "want" to do what you want. I have a "schedule" drawn up with a "graduation" day just for fun but I wouldn't count on it. We have to go with the cat's pace when it comes to TT.

Please keep us posted on your TT as well:)
daisie&SuShi

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are video clips of SuShi's TT

Day 5 (March 12, 2018) #2

Day 6 (March 13, 2018) #1

Day 7 (March 13, 2018) #1 & #2

Day 8 (March 14, 2018) #1

Day 9 (March 14, 2018) #1 & #2