PetSitting Prices - What would u pay or charge?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay my neighbor around $20 a day for 2 visits and feeding my 2 dogs and 3 cats. She is wonderful...I never have to worry for one single second.

I also sit for my cat breeder neighbor. She pays less and I bust my rear end tending to her 30-plus cats. However, she also gave me two pedigreed cats and she is a friend, so I put up with it...for now. I DO love her kitties and like to see them fed and comfortable when the owners are out of town.

Cally

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here it's anywhere from $10-$20 per visit. My kits need 2 visits per day and that can add up fast. When we lived in Iowa I had a heck of a time just finding a pet sitter, then one that was GOOD.

Now that we're back in Wisconsin, we have my in-laws care for the critters when we're away. I know my MIL won't leave vomit all over the house so it's crustified by the time I'm home. And she would probably call me to tell me one of the cats is sick.
My MIL doesn't charge anything. She likes to visit the kitties.
I have a friend who regularly cares for a mutual friend's pets, so she's my backup.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay $23/visit. I think that is a bit high but the woman I use is someone a friend has used for many years. She is extremely responsible and I trust her to be able to take care of any emergancy (pet or house) that may come up. She will also administer meds if needed.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We gave a friend $40 and bought him dinner for coming in twice. We have a cat (who has an autofeeder and drinking fountain), two turtles, a lizard, and a hermit crab. He just had to change Nova's box (we used liners, so no need to touch the litter! I even left liners full of sand for him to just plop in the box), make sure the auto feeder was working, feed the lizard and turtles (crab eats very little, and we left him a lot of food), and make sure they all had water. Mostly we just wanted him to hang out because Nova gets lonely.

$20/day was still cheaper than having them all boarded. To have them boarded it would have been $13/day for Nova, and $10/day for the lizard and each turtle. ($43/day!)

I think your rates should depend on what's required of you.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at prices because I am going on vacation for 10 days in may. The pet hotel here charges only $17 per one cat and $12 for every other cat. This is really cheap but they keep the kitties in kennels and I don't like that ..They say they take them out to play. I wanted to get a friend as a sitter but my parents don't trust anyone coming at the house. I really think that's best for the pets because i'm sure they'd rather be alone in a familiar place, rather than with strangers at a new place. But unfortunately I will give Jake to a very close friend to sit at their house, who doesn't want to charge anything but I will probably pay anyway or give a gift...

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not hired a pet sitter for over three years, because with the two I have now I need a vet tech level to stay at the house, hard to come by. But when I did I paid $25 each visit plus tip. The last sitter I had charged me $50 for the day to stay with my cat. The prices have gone up since then, especially the way gas is. I have had good experience with all I have hired, except one who worked for one of my vets.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We charge $17 CDN per visit, which is half an hour (minimum). I would not expect to come home to cat vomit or unscooped boxes when you've paid someone to come in! We also frequently administer meds.
Our rates are comparable to other companies in this area, probably on the high side to be honest.
We are bonded and insured and frequently recommended by vets.
SwampWitch, that is heartbreaking.
That woman should not be allowed near animals again!