Pet Peeves

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I pick up my street each morning I always put the trash bags in one of the dumpsters on my street. No way am I taking all that crud back to my house.
That isn't the case here.  We've seen people drive up in trucks with several bags of trash in the bed and they just dump it in the dumpster.  My only building only has 4 apartments.  There's no reason the dumpster should be overflowing 2 days after trash pickup.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Earlier there were some thoughts about how people judge others by their weight or by having kids or not etc. That is funny thing in world, I was morbidly overweight, now I'm normal weight and somewhat athletic. In a shop before I was invisible, hard to get service, everywhere people just tried to ignore, also I didn't really spot much overweight people.
Now, on street I get lot of drooling stares from some females, when I ride bike for exercise almost every female driver stares and instead of paying attention to road turns head to my direction, in shops I get lot of smiles and attention, I don't need to even ask service and so on.

It is hard to find word for it, but macabre comedy comes to my mind, something that is completely out of proportions, I even question if these people around me are really a persons but just some code in software that react to some change in variable instead of being thinking, feeling beings. I don't know, but it is often hard not to burst to laughter when same persons that tried their best to ignore me are now completely opposite.

Being over 40 and never being much into dating scheme, more into working and career also makes interesting comments, doctor once asked if I'm gay, then questioned why I'm not married, some think I'm faulty because being single so long. Some think indeed that I'm not doing my part for not having kids, I don't even want kids, world is having over population already and so many are just fighting or excepting a fight if not everyone agrees, why to make more?

How shallow some people are, might be one of peeves.

With all that, one has to remember that life is too short to live it for others, if some people think I'm living my life wrong, then I think they can, it is not away from me, there is close to 7 billion people on this planet, I don't need to please them all, I don't need to live my life for them and yet I'm sure there are quite many people that don't think I live my life wrong when I live my life as a single and without making kids.

Sure, I don't need to live single, but for certain I would consider partnership only with a soul mate and it would have to be partnership for rest of the life, thing that seem to be quite rare these days.
It is so strange the way people are judged on their appearance. I know I'm guilty of doing it too. I think one just jumps to a subconscious conclusion based on how the people we meet look. Then we end up treating them accordingly. I find myself making a conscious effort to look at how a person behaves rather than the way they appear, but it is difficult to do that.

Making that snap judgement based on what a stranger looks like seems to be built into our way of thinking. I guess it's a survival strategy. We need to be able to appraise people in a split second and decide "This person is weaker than me/stronger than me/able to outrun me/capable of doing me harm."

That's probably a very useful skill considering that we have to share the planet with 7 billion other people. Unfortunately it does mean that perfectly lovely people are treated unfairly just because they don't look the way we as a society think people "should" look.

It's wrong, but it does take a bit of effort not to do this. There's nothing like moving to a place where you're a minority to make you appreciate it when others do make that effort. As a white European in Asia I've been refused admittance to hotels, turned down when trying to rent an apartment, told I can't have a point card at some shopping malls and once forced to take a HIV test before a hospital would treat me. Part of me is furious about this treatment, but another part of me thinks it was a valuable learning experience. This is the way minorities get treated! And I never realised that before because I'd been taking all the preferential treatment slim, young(ish) white people get for granted. Serves me right!

So even though I hate the fact that people are judged on the way they look I do understand how difficult it is not to do that. And I really appreciate the people that try and go beyond first impressions and find out what the person under that skin is like. I love the old ladies that chat to me in the supermarket and on the bus stop, in spite of my tattoos and dyed hair and broken Japanese. I strive to be as nonjudgmental as they are.

And I really will try not to drool next time I see an athletic man riding a bike. (Although, please understand, I'm not promising anything. 
 )

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw an appropriate post on facebook that said, " God doesn't judge people until after they die. Why should we? " I like that motto.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least half of the trash on my street that I pick up every day is stuff drivers have thrown out. I know this because a lot of it is from places that are not in my immediate neighborhood: KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc. Little Caesars is another huge nuisance. They don't deliver so people walk there for a pizza, eat it walking home & dump the empty box on my street.
Its mostly beer cans, bottles and cigarette butts here. Fast food comes next.

Tossing cigarette butts is one of my oet peeves. (Someone else may have already shared this.) People think they disintegrate quickly but they dont. There is a median in front of the grocery store by my old house that is just covered in them. It's disgusting.

Someone set a tiny 1'x1' patch of mulch in the sidewalk in front of my bank on fire with theirs. I've also seen grass on a highway roadside on fire. I assume from a cigarette butt. Nothing else was in that area; just passing cars!

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Tossing cigarette butts is one of my oet peeves. (Someone else may have already shared this.) People think they disintegrate quickly but they dont. There is a median in front of the grocery store by my old house that is just covered in them. It's disgusting.

Someone set a tiny 1'x1' patch of mulch in the sidewalk in front of my bank on fire with theirs. I've also seen grass on a highway roadside on fire. I assume from a cigarette butt. Nothing else was in that area; just passing cars!
 I'm a smoker, and this annoys me too! I will always put mine in a bin or ash tray wherever there is one available. On my way to work, I get off the bus, light up and routinely finish my cigarette before I get to the bin, I'm not just going to drop it on the floor, there's a bin about 60 yards away. If there is literally no bin, I will usually have to chuck it. It annoys me that this is the case. I've been looking for a portable ash tray for ages.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My house was in danger to burn one spring because someone tossed a cigarette, which caused dry grass to burn and fire was moving towards dry forest area where my house would of burned with it, but luckily someone did call fire department on time as I was not at home by then.

I think that tossing is yet another example of not thinking ahead syndrome, some people just act how they feel without ever thinking anything about effects of their actions to future, yet our every action today shapes our future, so it is hard to understand why some people are not taking little bit of effort to think ahead before action.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When our son was in high school, he played football. After the game one night, we left the stadium and drove into the school to pick him up after showers and such. The school is right along the main highway and some idiot in a car stopped at the traffic signal threw a lit cigarette out the passenger window. The breeze took the cigarette and it landed under a car in the school parking lot. Where it proceeded to smolder in the leaves. And then it caught. Fire company had to come. It was an interesting night! The poor kid lost his car, but thankfully he had insurance. And thankfully, the parents  who were in the parking lot were able to get the fire under control  until the fire company got there.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like tailgaters, or people that cut you off

Telemarketers

People that come to your door to sell things

Being called stupid because I can't spell

Prejudice people that keep repeating that they are not

Judgemental 

I'm a smoker, and this annoys me too! I will always put mine in a bin or ash tray wherever there is one available. On my way to work, I get off the bus, light up and routinely finish my cigarette before I get to the bin, I'm not just going to drop it on the floor, there's a bin about 60 yards away. If there is literally no bin, I will usually have to chuck it. It annoys me that this is the case. I've been looking for a portable ash tray for ages.
As a ex-smoker it annoys me too. Cars now don't come equipped with ash trays. When I smoked I would get a empty coke bottle put water in it and use that for a ash tray. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
People who are totally illogical. A woman called the shelter this week asking if we'd taken in a black, male adult cat. We hadn't, so I asked for her name and telephone number (she didn't have internet) so we could call her if he were turned in. She didn't want to give that info. So what do we do if he pops up - wait for her to call again?

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, the cigarette butt ones are scary.  My car one is fairly mild.  Our driveway is two cars wide and our two cars (yes I did, I typed cats at first) sit side by side.  Why do his visitors have to park behind MY car?  Or my visitors park behind HIS truck?  OR, some have parked in the middle so we couldn't get either vehicle out.  Tsk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pick up all that too. Loads of coffee & drink cups, lids, straws. (Dunkin Donuts at the corner of my block.) I also pick up used condoms (wearing gloves, of course). Worst thing I ever picked up was a used vibrator. Ewwwww!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a white European in Asia I've been refused admittance to hotels, turned down when trying to rent an apartment, told I can't have a point card at some shopping malls and once forced to take a HIV test before a hospital would treat me. Part of me is furious about this treatment, but another part of me thinks it was a valuable learning experience. This is the way minorities get treated! And I never realised that before because I'd been taking all the preferential treatment slim, young(ish) white people get for granted.
I'm sorry, but I am finding that very hard to believe. You are saying all these things happened to you simply because you're white?

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norachan  

As a white European in Asia I've been refused admittance to hotels, turned down when trying to rent an apartment, told I can't have a point card at some shopping malls and once forced to take a HIV test before a hospital would treat me. Part of me is furious about this treatment, but another part of me thinks it was a valuable learning experience. This is the way minorities get treated! And I never realised that before because I'd been taking all the preferential treatment slim, young(ish) white people get for granted. Serves me right!

Originally Posted by Primula  

I'm sorry, but I am finding that very hard to believe. You are saying all these things happened to you simply because you're white?
I believe it. I lived in Japan myself and while it's an amazing country with some lovely people, there's a deep vein of racism in their society that they don't really trouble to conceal.  I once taught a student who was half Japanese and half English. His school had a "no-dyed-hair" policy, but since his hair was naturally lighter than his classmates', the school made him dye it black!  They didn't actually mean "no dyed hair", they meant "no hair colour other than black." That's just one example. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local cathedral needs volunteers for their Thursday morning food pantry. I would like to volunteer for this, but they do not return voice mails. So annoying! I may just go down there next Thursday at 8 a.m. & see if I can join in. I'm kind of shy about doing that, but I see no other choice.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People who are totally illogical. A woman called the shelter this week asking if we'd taken in a black, male adult cat. We hadn't, so I asked for her name and telephone number (she didn't have internet) so we could call her if he were turned in. She didn't want to give that info. So what do we do if he pops up - wait for her to call again?
I actually revel in wierd phone conversations.

A previous post mentioned telemarketers and how much they hated them (I agree) but I actually used to be a "warm caller" this means if you tick a box or leave one unchecked on some forms, we would call you and try to sell you add ons.

The illogical / bizzaire  arguments people give because they are irate are so funny.

"How do I know you are really from [company] Give me a number so I can call back and make sure it's really you" well not really, since I could give any number and you would call back and I would say "hello you're through to [company].

"I'm never available on this number" ... but they have JUST answered their phone.

"call me back when it is more convenient for me" [me] "no problem, when is a good time for you?" [them] "I just told you, when it is better for me!"

and my all time favourite. 

"I can't afford that" me " well I haven't told you how much it costs or explained about it" [them] " Well how much is it?" [me] "*starts explaining* "NO NO I TOLD YOU I CAN'T AFFORD THAT"

I always wished people would just be polite and say, I don't want an extra product, I bought what I needed.

It was literally the worst job I have ever had.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I actually revel in wierd phone conversations.

A previous post mentioned telemarketers and how much they hated them (I agree) but I actually used to be a "warm caller" this means if you tick a box or leave one unchecked on some forms, we would call you and try to sell you add ons.

The illogical / bizzaire  arguments people give because they are irate are so funny.

"How do I know you are really from [company] Give me a number so I can call back and make sure it's really you" well not really, since I could give any number and you would call back and I would say "hello you're through to [company].

"I'm never available on this number" ... but they have JUST answered their phone.

"call me back when it is more convenient for me" [me] "no problem, when is a good time for you?" [them] "I just told you, when it is better for me!"

and my all time favourite. 

"I can't afford that" me " well I haven't told you how much it costs or explained about it" [them] " Well how much is it?" [me] "*starts explaining* "NO NO I TOLD YOU I CAN'T AFFORD THAT"

I always wished people would just be polite and say, I don't want an extra product, I bought what I needed.

It was literally the worst job I have ever had.
This is why I'm glad I just do surveys.  I have never tried to sell people anything over the phone.  People will ask how they know I'm really calling on behalf of the company and I just tell them when and where they rented and what kind of car they rented.  So it's pretty easy.  I just hate the people who are rude jerks.  They agreed to the survey when they checked a box on their rental agreement.  And it literally takes less than a minute.  It's really fun when people spend 5 minutes explaining why they don't have time.  Because the survey could have been done 5 times by the time they hang up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard similar stories from people who have lived in countries in Southeast Asia.  We in the U.S. have a tendency to think that we are the only country that has issues with racism but we aren't.  I don't even think we are the worst country about these issues.  Our issues get a lot more publicity and are more out in the open because we have so many different groups of people living in this country.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not so much about being white, it's more about not being Japanese. I've heard from Korean people living in Japan that they're treated the same way.

In other countries people make an effort to combat racism. People who are overtly racist risk prosecution but in Japan it's just accepted. When I got turned down for apartments I would go to the estate agents with my husband (Who is Japanese), be shown around a few places, choose one we liked and then find out that whoever owned the apartment didn't want to rent to foreigners. They didn't make any effort to sugarcoat it. They just blatantly stated they had a "No Foreigners policy", private landlords and company landlords alike.

If you complain you just get a gentle smile and you're told "That's the way we do things in Japan." It's very difficult to argue with that.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not so much about being white, it's more about not being Japanese. I've heard from Korean people living in Japan that they're treated the same way.

In other countries people make an effort to combat racism. People who are overtly racist risk prosecution but in Japan it's just accepted. When I got turned down for apartments I would go to the estate agents with my husband (Who is Japanese), be shown around a few places, choose one we liked and then find out that whoever owned the apartment didn't want to rent to foreigners. They didn't make any effort to sugarcoat it. They just blatantly stated they had a "No Foreigners policy", private landlords and company landlords alike.

If you complain you just get a gentle smile and you're told "That's the way we do things in Japan." It's very difficult to argue with that.

:dk:  
Knowing all that, listening and watching Lady Baby's Nippon Manju opens few more laughters, there is so much parody and perhaps even some sarcasm in that music video about how people do things in Japan, that it might give few laughs for you as you know much better how life is there.

If they refused to rent apartment for you because of you not being born in Japan, then you could of taken them to court and probably won the case, it has happened before there.