Pet Peeves

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my pet peeves is when people make general statements like "Walking is good for you. Don't park in the closest spot to the store, mall etc. ". I can't walk the length of a parking lot because of a medical condition. It isn't visible and I don't talk about it unless the need comes up. It's like saying " Fruit is good for you. You should eat 7 servings of fruit or veggies every day ". They can't push their opinion on someone with diabetes.

Another is when you try to have a conversation and the other person just says, Yeah, Uh huh, No, or OK. They have nothing to add and you quickly get tired of the whole thing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Has tardiness been mentioned? People who are always, always late? That would be one of my pet peeves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Protea glass
Another is when you try to have a conversation and the other person just says, Yeah, Uh huh, No, or OK. They have nothing to add and you quickly get tired of the whole thing.
LOL. Sounds exactly like my convos with my husband.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pick up my entire street every a.m. of trash. Not sure why I do this since the next a.m. all the trash is back again.

My peeve is folks who, thankfully, pick up after their dog, but then throw the plastic bag on the ground. I will not pick up dog poop, but I feel obliged to pick up the plastic bag. These people really burn me.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pick up my entire street every a.m. of trash. Not sure why I do this since the next a.m. all the trash is back again.

My peeve is folks who, thankfully, pick up after their dog, but then throw the plastic bag on the ground. I will not pick up dog poop, but I feel obliged to pick up the plastic bag. These people really burn me.
You bother because you give a fig about the environment and the cleanliness of your street.  Too bad there aren't more people who give a fig or two.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, now I've started, I can't stop. I'm fanatical about illegal dumping of furniture, etc. Drives me bonkers. People use my street as a garbage dump. Slobs!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of my peeves - people who throw bags of dog poop in my hedge, which is conveniently next to the sidewalk. One spring I was so disgusted with the amount I pulled out that I printed a large sign saying, "Please don't throw poop bags in the hedge!"  and lined the bags all up alongside the sidewalk. In a few days, they were all gone.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Right, now I've started, I can't stop. I'm fanatical about illegal dumping of furniture, etc. Drives me bonkers. People use my street as a garbage dump. Slobs!
That should get you the death penalty, IMO.

I live in the middle of a beautiful forest, a national park that's part of a World Heritage site and people would rather drive all the way up here and dump their trash than take it to the municipal dump/recycling plant where it's free to dump up to 1 metric tonne of household trash.

If ever I catch anyone doing that I won't be responsible for my actions.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After cleaning up dog poop many times from his front lawn, my nephew watched and waited until he saw who stopped on a walk and let their dog do it. When they walked away, he scooped it into a plastic bag, went to their house, opened the bag and gave it back to them.... on their front lawn. He did this a couple times, each time closer to the front door. They caught on that it wasn't a stray dog doing it but an angry neighbor. He didn't have any more poop problems after that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did something similar to that because our neighbor allowed her dog to come over to our yard for pooping. I kept seeing the poop and had no idea what was going on. Then I saw the dog come over, take a crap, and go back over...while my neighbor stood there and watched. So I went outside, bagged the poop, walked over to her front porch and knocked on the door. She opened the door, I handed the bag to her and said, "Here ya go! This is yours!"

Last time their dog ever pooped in our yard. (Not that it matters since we now have The Beast who poops all over our yard!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I live in the middle of a beautiful forest, a national park that's part of a World Heritage site and people would rather drive all the way up here and dump their trash than take it to the municipal dump/recycling plant where it's free to dump up to 1 metric tonne of household trash.

People do that around here too.  We've even seen a bag of trash fly out of a moving vehicle.  My DH drives around for work and hes witnessed it plenty of times.  We pay for our trash pickup because we are no in any city limits.  The best is when it's not sealed and the trash blows all over!!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose I should be glad that they aren't just throwing it in the road, but I'm really sick of people who don't live in my building using our dumpster.  It wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't fill it to the brim so our trash doesn't fit.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had work today before class and it just reminded me of one of my major pet peeves.

I work as a cashier at my family's restaurant. Its a tex-mex restaurant so we have tacos, burritos, tostadas xcetera. And every entre on the menu comes with the same 6 toppings (but you don't have to get all of them if you don't want to) Sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and onions.

One of my HUGE pet peeves is when people order their food like this:

"I'll have a chicken soft taco with everything, no onion."

Or "everything except olives"

Seriously does that even remotely make sense? If you don't want everything on it, don't even say the word everything! Just say no (insert topping here)!!

I know its such a small thing but it happens 100 times a day. And I am so fast on the register that I literally am ringing the food/toppings up right as the customers are saying what they want. So as soon as the customer says the word "everything" I push the everything button on the screen. So if someone says "everything, no olives" I then have to go back and delete that entry because the person said everything so I pushed everything- and then I have to go back and ring the item in again because they didn't want a certain topping. And I become significantly more annoyed with that customer (though not to the point of being rude).

Because seriously, how hard is it to just say "No olives"? Its a heck of a lot easier than saying "Everything, no olives."

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had work today before class and it just reminded me of one of my major pet peeves.

I work as a cashier at my family's restaurant. Its a tex-mex restaurant so we have tacos, burritos, tostadas xcetera. And every entre on the menu comes with the same 6 toppings (but you don't have to get all of them if you don't want to) Sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and onions.

One of my HUGE pet peeves is when people order their food like this:

"I'll have a chicken soft taco with everything, no onion."

Or "everything except olives"

Seriously does that even remotely make sense? If you don't want everything on it, don't even say the word everything! Just say no (insert topping here)!!

I know its such a small thing but it happens 100 times a day. And I am so fast on the register that I literally am ringing the food/toppings up right as the customers are saying what they want. So as soon as the customer says the word "everything" I push the everything button on the screen. So if someone says "everything, no olives" I then have to go back and delete that entry because the person said everything so I pushed everything- and then I have to go back and ring the item in again because they didn't want a certain topping. And I become significantly more annoyed with that customer (though not to the point of being rude).

Because seriously, how hard is it to just say "No olives"? Its a heck of a lot easier than saying "Everything, no olives."
Oh, you're making me so hungry!!!  I didn't have time to eat before I started work.  You're killing me!  And I'm on the verge of getting sick if I don't get food soon.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I suppose I should be glad that they aren't just throwing it in the road, but I'm really sick of people who don't live in my building using our dumpster.  It wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't fill it to the brim so our trash doesn't fit.
The people that are doing that are the ones too cheap to pay for their own trash pickup. Here in Maryland there is a $500 fine if someone is caught doing that. Here anylbusiness that has a dumpster has a camera. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People do that around here too.  We've even seen a bag of trash fly out of a moving vehicle.  My DH drives around for work and hes witnessed it plenty of times.  We pay for our trash pickup because we are no in any city limits.  The best is when it's not sealed and the trash blows all over!!
At least half of the trash on my street that I pick up every day is stuff drivers have thrown out. I know this because a lot of it is from places that are not in my immediate neighborhood: KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc. Little Caesars is another huge nuisance. They don't deliver so people walk there for a pizza, eat it walking home & dump the empty box on my street.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I pick up my street each morning I always put the trash bags in one of the dumpsters on my street. No way am I taking all that crud back to my house.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:bat:

:angry2:
That is one thing in human nature, which I really can't understand.

I have been told we are civilized beings, I hear some claiming that civilization separates us from animals, then BOOM this littering happens, human with highly sophisticated brain, with all the civilization, education and collective wisdom throws thrash to virtually anywhere without any thought other than getting this stuff out of own hands.

Here some drive from village to intersection where my house is, drop their candy wrappings here and drive back to village.

If that is how to be a human, then I gladly be a freak instead, sure there are even worse things some do, many which don't belong to this family friendly site, but I really don't want to be a human if human is such that does not ever think anything ahead and does as he/she feels being easiest at that instant.

Once I caught such litterer on action and got almost into a fight, from his point of view I was wrong by daring to question his actions of throwing bottles to my lawn and he actually was ready to use violence to defend his "right" to do so, but eventually he did took his litter and did go home with all of his mess.

It is really amazing, how anyone could logically explain that he has right to use violence in order to defend his right to litter other one's yard, but I guess it is that imaginary bubble some people live in so that reality never bothers them. I would understand violence if there would be lives in danger or future life in jeopardy, but desire to throw bottle on grass being enough to use violence, that is insane, yet not all too rare.

-------------------------

Earlier there were some thoughts about how people judge others by their weight or by having kids or not etc. That is funny thing in world, I was morbidly overweight, now I'm normal weight and somewhat athletic. In a shop before I was invisible, hard to get service, everywhere people just tried to ignore, also I didn't really spot much overweight people.
Now, on street I get lot of drooling stares from some females, when I ride bike for exercise almost every female driver stares and instead of paying attention to road turns head to my direction, in shops I get lot of smiles and attention, I don't need to even ask service and so on.

It is hard to find word for it, but macabre comedy comes to my mind, something that is completely out of proportions, I even question if these people around me are really a persons but just some code in software that react to some change in variable instead of being thinking, feeling beings. I don't know, but it is often hard not to burst to laughter when same persons that tried their best to ignore me are now completely opposite.

Being over 40 and never being much into dating scheme, more into working and career also makes interesting comments, doctor once asked if I'm gay, then questioned why I'm not married, some think I'm faulty because being single so long. Some think indeed that I'm not doing my part for not having kids, I don't even want kids, world is having over population already and so many are just fighting or excepting a fight if not everyone agrees, why to make more?

How shallow some people are, might be one of peeves.

With all that, one has to remember that life is too short to live it for others, if some people think I'm living my life wrong, then I think they can, it is not away from me, there is close to 7 billion people on this planet, I don't need to please them all, I don't need to live my life for them and yet I'm sure there are quite many people that don't think I live my life wrong when I live my life as a single and without making kids.

Sure, I don't need to live single, but for certain I would consider partnership only with a soul mate and it would have to be partnership for rest of the life, thing that seem to be quite rare these days.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's better to be single than to be with someone who makes you unhappy. People get trapped within the walls they've built for themselves & they're unhappy when they see that people like you are free.