Pet Food Shortage? Really?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, OK. My cousin is a trucker and just posted something on Facebook about this. It's not just pet food. A bunch of truckers have been stranded along I-80 (which is closed because of severe winter weather) for days now, and this has caused a lot of supply problems. So that's probably the issue. Some areas have opened up so maybe the situation will improve soon.
200+ Miles of I-80 in Wyoming to Remain Closed Well Into Tuesday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it was clear and sunny and up to 70 degrees for 3 days so no excuse for here especially when just shipping 5 or 6 miles away.

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I am in the US too, and relieved to know that Willow can get by on chicken breast for a few days but cats aren't dogs.

FYI, you can buy a supplement mixture called EZComplete for your in case of emergency kit if that's the way you roll. Cats don't eat very much, but they are obligate carnivores with special nutritional needs and they can die without cat food or appropriate supplements for human grade meats.

Doggies should be fine for a few days, even with veg*n guardians. The last dollar always goes for cat food. Always.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it was clear and sunny and up to 70 degrees for 3 days so no excuse for here especially when just shipping 5 or 6 miles away.
Weather in other places can very much mess up the food supply line. It doesn't only matter what the weather is in your area, it depends what the weather is like everywhere the trucks go.

I agree that it shouldn't mess up the food supply from local factories, but then again, maybe the trucks and truckers are stuck somewhere else and aren't available to load/move food from the factory to the stores.

Anyway there should be some improvement soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Weather in other places can very much mess up the food supply line. It doesn't only matter what the weather is in your area, it depends what the weather is like everywhere the trucks go.

I agree that it shouldn't mess up the food supply from local factories, but then again, maybe the trucks and truckers are stuck somewhere else and aren't available to load/move food from the factory to the stores.

Anyway there should be some improvement soon.
True. I didn't think about that.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
True. I didn't think about that.
Then it's all my fault for not complaining about my power company's public safety power shutoffs enough.

:flail:

I don't like the new reality either. This thread was informative even though I wasn't personally affected by the shortage. I don't have baby food in my emergency stash yet because the canned chicken breast that is next to the tuna at the grocery store is less expensive. Low income folks should probably have tiers of emergency stashes: I'm going to feed my babies safe, cooked, human grade meats as long as I can when the power goes off, but in a zombie apocalypse or the aftermath of a nuclear strike 300+ miles away, I sure would regret throwing away that bag of grocery store kibble because of all the crap ingredients.