Pet Food Shortage? Really?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been to 10 different stores in my area and those stores are almost bare of dog and cat food. I don't have a dog but of course it's something that I could NOT notice. Each manager stated that they were told there was a shortage. What? And we have Purina in our city. Is there something going on that I don't know about and how in the heck do we feed these pets if they have no food? I have no means to keep raw food for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No. We had "some" snow if that's what you want to call it. It was more a sprinkling or dusting that lasted only 2 hours and stopped. Temps have been 70 degrees today and yesterday.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to this article pet food production is up, Global pet food production up 4%, overall feed falls 1% in 2019. I would assume it's a local issue with product getting to your area. Maybe some sort of train or truck delay going on? It could be an issue further from you if you are down the supply line. I usually keep an unopened bag of food and enough wet food for a week on hand so if there is a problem getting their food I have 2-3 weeks to figure it out. Also, it's my emergency bag to grab if there is a fire or earthquake that has us evacuating. When I buy a new bag it becomes the back up and the older bag is opened.

In a pinch, human meat baby food or plain boiled chicken will get you through a few days. And I am talking just a few days since they aren't nutritionally complete. You could also short term feed a cat dog food if that is all you can find. It just doesn't have enough taurine for more then a few days or a week without worrying about amino acid deficiency.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
According to this article pet food production is up, Global pet food production up 4%, overall feed falls 1% in 2019. I would assume it's a local issue with product getting to your area. Maybe some sort of train or truck delay going on? It could be an issue further from you if you are down the supply line. I usually keep an unopened bag of food and enough wet food for a week on hand so if there is a problem getting their food I have 2-3 weeks to figure it out. Also, it's my emergency bag to grab if there is a fire or earthquake that has us evacuating. When I buy a new bag it becomes the back up and the older bag is opened.

In a pinch, human meat baby food or plain boiled chicken will get you through a few days. And I am talking just a few days since they aren't nutritionally complete. You could also short term feed a cat dog food if that is all you can find. It just doesn't have enough taurine for more then a few days or a week without worrying about amino acid deficiency.
Thanks. I will have to do that. I have enough to last 2 or 3 days (mostly dry and that kit n kaboodle which I guess is better than no food at all) so I'll order some from Amazon and pick up the meat baby food.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I just find it odd, Purina is less than 5 miles from me and we have a pet food shortage.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, plain chicken is what I use in a cat food emergency. I bake it, not boil (less messy, can be served in the same pan I cooked it in), but yep, just plain cooked chicken will get you through a few days, and stores are rarely out of chicken.

Baby food only comes in teeny jars and costs a lot. I would use cooked chicken for multiple cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, does Purina have a store attached to the factory? There's an Iams plant in North Sioux City and I'm told they have a place you can buy directly from them. Or if you know any Purina employees you could see if they could set you up with something.

Also check with shelters to see if they have a supply they could sell you.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby food only comes in teeny jars and costs a lot. I would use cooked chicken for multiple cats.
I keep the baby food in my emergency kit just because it is shelf stable and if I don't have access to something to cook with it will still work. My car has a small emergency kit with water, emergency ration bars and nine jars of the baby food so if all I have time for is throwing the cats in the car and leaving we are good for at least 24 hours. The more time plan is grab the travel pet pen and a bag of dry food. More more time includes carriers, their larger food containers and clothes. Priorities, lol.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, does Purina have a store attached to the factory? There's an Iams plant in North Sioux City and I'm told they have a place you can buy directly from them. Or if you know any Purina employees you could see if they could set you up with something.

Also check with shelters to see if they have a supply they could sell you.
I don't know if they have a store attached here. I"ll have to take a look. But other brands are not in stores either, not even store brands of the food. Which I find very odd. I just look at Purina as the cats love their Friskies or 9 Lives.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the store a major chain store or a small franchisee or locally owned store? We recently had a small franchisee store close (the who company filed bankruptcy) and during the month or two leading up to it, their inventory was being reduced. Cat and dog food was one of the first things to run out.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Schnucks (which is St Louis and surrounding areas) but a chain. Our Family Dollar (owned by Dollar Tree) has a pet food shortage. Save a Lot (owned by IGA) is out of pet food. Aldi is low on pet food. All different chains here in the area. Dollar Tree here is out. And I just called my local Walmart. They also have a shortage.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did a google and found an article that talks about the shortage some: Claws and effect: A nationwide pet-food shortage is helping businesses thrive - SmartCompany

Another article or few: Pet Food Crisis Spreads to More Brands, Dry Food and Treats

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are all talking about pet food shortages in Australia---which often has supply issues, since everything has to be shipped in---not the US. Except for one that was talking about a shortage in the US. . .in 2007. I can't find anything recent. It must be a local situation.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure when it started, but wonder if the Coronavirus in China could be affected it if it is recent. In my personal finance class last week, the teacher mentioned many factories were closing to prevent the spread of the virus, and a large percentage of U.S. goods come from China, which may stress our economy if businesses cannot get the goods. Again, not sure if the pet food would be affected by this so soon, or even if any of the shortage brands are produced/made in China.

Usually buy from Chewy, although the Pet Supplies Plus looked stocked when I went a couple weeks ago.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure when it started, but wonder if the Coronavirus in China could be affected it if it is recent. In my personal finance class last week, the teacher mentioned many factories were closing to prevent the spread of the virus, and a large percentage of U.S. goods come from China, which may stress our economy if businesses cannot get the goods. Again, not sure if the pet food would be affected by this so soon, or even if any of the shortage brands are produced/made in China.

Usually buy from Chewy, although the Pet Supplies Plus looked stocked when I went a couple weeks ago.
Sounds logical but the Purina products bought in St Louis MO are produced in our local plant.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no shortage where I live in Michigan, it's doubly strange since Purina has a plant right in your backyard.

Try ordering from Chewy or Amazon if you need food soon.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a pet store?? I’m in the Midwest and there is no shortage. In grocery or pet stores near me. Not sure, maybe you’re just visiting these places before shipment comes in

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those are all talking about pet food shortages in Australia---which often has supply issues, since everything has to be shipped in---not the US. Except for one that was talking about a shortage in the US. . .in 2007. I can't find anything recent. It must be a local situation.
Thank you for clarifying it. I didn't realize they were for Australia. I noticed that the stores around me in Alabama are running short with pet food also so I thought the articles were for us in the States.