For all recall news, visit www.itchmo.com

Royal Canin USA is recalling eight Sensible Choice dry dog food
products and seven Kasco dry dog and cat food products. Royal Canin states
small traces of melamine were found in the rice protein concentrate
provided by Cereal ByProducts.

These eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven Kasco dry
dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006 to April
30, 2007 are being voluntarily recalled:

SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken and Rice Adult (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Lamb and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken and Rice Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] NATURAL BLEND Adult (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] NATURAL BLEND Senior (Dry Dog Food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] NATURAL BLEND Puppy (Dry Dog Food)

KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Hi Energy (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Maintenance (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Mealettes (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Mini Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
- KASCOÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat (Dry Cat Food)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

Full Details:
http://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-can...ecall_20070511

For all recall news, visit www.itchmo.com

Royal Canin USA is recalling eight Sensible Choice dry dog food
products and seven Kasco dry dog and cat food products. Royal Canin states
small traces of melamine were found in the rice protein concentrate
provided by Cereal ByProducts.

These eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven Kasco dry
dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006 to April
30, 2007 are being voluntarily recalled:

SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
- SENSIBLE CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy (Dry Dog Food)

Thank you that is a BIG UPDATE...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

These eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven Kasco dry dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006 to April 30, 2007 are being voluntarily recalled:

UPDATE from Itchmo: Since issuing the release, RC quietly changed the date codes involved. The new info is: “products with Best By date codes between July 28, 2007 to April 30, 2008 are being voluntarily recalled.â€

http://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-can...ecall_20070511

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First Menu Foods reports on their web site that a court order prevents them from communicating with the public regarding settlement of legal claims resulting from the recall.
http://www.itchmo.com/read/menu-food...laims_20070524

Then, one of the law firms involved in a class action law suit against Menu states that Menu voluntarily entered into a consent decree ordering it to stop communicating with the public regarding claims. The law firm makes other interesting statements regarding Menu Foods conduct in the case.
http://www.itchmo.com/read/exclusive-law-firm-says-menu-foods-gag-order-is-voluntary_20070525

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this has been posted, I think the news came out yesterday. It relates to fish food and livestock feed, but I thought it was relevant anyway.

The announcement by the Food and Drug Administration was the first indication that a U.S. company had used melamine as an animal feed ingredient. Agency officials said that melamine and related compounds were used to bind feed for cattle, sheep and goats, or fish and shrimp.
FDA finds melamine used by U.S. company for animal feed

sake&pennys dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Texas lab finds acetaminophen in cat & dog food
link

Expanded story from Itchmo
The first week of April both of my cats became ill. We had recently opened a new bag of Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, the same brand the cats had been eating for sometime. After a couple days of watching our cats conditions (vomiting, lethargy, apparent weight loss, etc.) worsen we made the trip to the Vet. After observation and blood and urine tests it was determined that both cats were in Acute Renal Failure. My male cat was in such poor condition at that point that the Vet recommended euthanizing him, which we ultimately did. My female cat was fairing a little better even though her diagnosis also found she was anemic as well. We started on a long regimen of IV’s and medications that continue to this day. She has recently shown signs of improvement but it has been costly both in a monetary and emotional sense.

Already being familiar with the pet food recall in the news I asked my Vet to order a Histopathology on my deceased cats internal organs so as to try and determine if he was poisoned. I also immediately contacted the FDA, which after me leaving numerous messages finally contacted me 10 days after my initial call. I also spoke with Hill’s, and to be honest I felt like they were really not very interested in my story. Hill’s ended up sending an application for me to request reimbursement for my Vet bills, even though my cats food was not and still to this day is not on the recall list. My deceased cats histopathology results came back and they did indicate poisoning. There was a crystalline feature in the kidneys that was indicative of this. At this point I contacted the FDA and Hill’s again to report the results. I asked Hill’s if they would like me to send them some of the cat food to test. To my amazement they declined and reitterated that I could ask for reimbursement for my Vet expenses. At this point I decided if I was going to find out what killed my cat I would have to do it myself. This I could not believe, because by this point in time we were about 6 weeks into this pet food crisis. I guess the experts already had everything figured out!

I sent a sample of the Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula food, from the bag my cats had been eating from when they became ill, to Accutrace in Arlington, Texas. For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets. I received a call from the Lab today with the results of their analysis. To my surprise they did not find any of the suspected pet food toxins. But they did find something that is very toxic to cats in the food, Acetaminophen. If you are not familiar, acetaminophen is a pain reliever, marketed under the most common name as Tylenol. A little research will tell you that it doesn’t take much of this stuff to poison a cat.

This is not a case of my cats got into a tylenol capsule that was dropped on the floor or someone came into my house and spiked my open bag of cat food. This is a case of a known toxin to cats coming packaged in a bag of cat food from the store.

This is my story to date. I just wanted to share with others because I truly believe there is more to this story than is being told. Don’t trust the FDA or the pet food manufacturer’s, they are just looking for a quick and convenient way to put this story to rest IMO. I will post again after more of my personal story unfolds.

sake&pennys dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bikeman

Re: above post... the lab in question said that the acetaminophen found was not from one of the brands on any current recall list. Wouldn't that eliminate Hills?

Source: June 5th post on:
http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/
NO...ask the gentleman that had to put to sleep one of his cats due to Hills sensitive stomach food........
Upon further review bikeman..from petfoodtracker...scroll down to Hills
link

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sake&Pennys dad

NO...ask the gentleman that had to put to sleep one of his cats due to Hills sensitive stomach food........
Upon further review bikeman..from petfoodtracker...scroll down to Hills
link
OK, I stand corrected on Hills. As of yesterday, this (below) was at the top of the itchmo site, and it seemed to rule out Hills, as they were already on recall lists. There have been many more stories added last night and today.

Texas Lab Finds Acetaminophen In Pet Food
June 5th, 2007

...ExperTox, a Texas lab, found acetaminophen (a fifth possible contaminant) in at least five samples of pet food that were submitted by pet owners and pet manufacturers. The medication was mostly found with cyanuric acid, and hundreds of other samples that were sent in tested positive for melamine. The contaminants were found in pet foods that have not been recalled....

attackofthebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three dogs and feed them Innova. I used to use Eukanuba and Purina but with the recall and the great danes stool being a little too lose all the time I figured it was time to switch.
The vet recommended a place called Top Dog to get our food from because none of their foods have been involved with the recall. We tried multiple brands and finally found Innova and our dogs liked it a lot better than the petstore brands.
A lot of petstore brands use byproducts or the packaging just says meat protein. The products usually in them are the meats unfit for human consumption and fillers.
Top Dog and Red Bandanna are a couple of stores located in Georgia that sell dog and cat foods. The also havent been involved with the recall. If you have concerns about the recall I would talk to your vet about options and see what your vet might recommend.
My dogs, especially my older dogs, seem happier and more energetic with the food they are on now compared to before.

I have been told by a reputable source that the company had reports of animals dying from kidney failure after eating the contaminated food a month before the food was publicly recalled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by attackofthebear

I have three dogs and feed them Innova. I used to use Eukanuba and Purina but with the recall and the great danes stool being a little too lose all the time I figured it was time to switch.
The vet recommended a place called Top Dog to get our food from because none of their foods have been involved with the recall. We tried multiple brands and finally found Innova and our dogs liked it a lot better than the petstore brands.
A lot of petstore brands use byproducts or the packaging just says meat protein. The products usually in them are the meats unfit for human consumption and fillers.
Top Dog and Red Bandanna are a couple of stores located in Georgia that sell dog and cat foods. The also havent been involved with the recall. If you have concerns about the recall I would talk to your vet about options and see what your vet might recommend.
My dogs, especially my older dogs, seem happier and more energetic with the food they are on now compared to before.

I have been told by a reputable source that the company had reports of animals dying from kidney failure after eating the contaminated food a month before the food was publicly recalled.
Your dogs are doing better since they are getting more digestable food...

FOLKS evan the smaller companies that no one thought could have taited food DID ... Read labels and use common sence... For me it means leaving my kitty on her dry food and the dog still gets homemade/ raw.. the cat wont eat my cooking and prefers to kill her raw

Oh and just think of all the crap in our food

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
question - the kitten kibble [SD] that the vet gave me has corn gluten meal in it... i'm concerned about giving it to Firefox, especially with her being so frail already. hasn't corn gluten also been suspect in some foods? i think i'll hold off on feeding it for now, just wanted some input.she's doing ok on the wet/formula mixture.