Pet Food Recall

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...CRF is a CHRONIC issue folks and DOES NOT happen in a short time...
I missed the opportunity to reply to this post when it was made, and only discovered it last weekend when it was quoted in a new post which has since been deleted.

By its name, CRF is indeed a "chronic" condition...but...in this case, the word chronic is being used to define the future prognosis of kidney function.

"CRF is characterized by irreversible structural damage to the kidney"
( http://vetsites.vin.com/Kidney/CRF.doc )

Because it is based on irreversible damage, it is describing kidney function from the time of diagnosis onwards, CRF can therefore have a very rapid "onset". Dr. James, quoted above, uses a time frame of "more than a month" in which to make the diagnosis. The reality "on the ground" is that Veterinarians will most often diagnose the condition much earlier, often within a couple of days to a week. (Join one of the CRF online support groups and read the real-life stories to see how quickly diagnoses are made.)

From http://felinecrf.org/ :

Types of Kidney Failure

There are two kinds of kidney failure, Acute Renal Failure (renal means kidney-related), abbreviated here as ARF; and Chronic Renal Failure, abbreviated as CRF.

ARF is a serious condition which usually comes on suddenly and which is often triggered by a particular event or "insult", such as your cat eating something poisonous. Lilies and antifreeze are both extremely toxic to cats and may cause ARF. ARF is usually treated with IV fluids and other medications at the vet's and, although it is hard to treat, if the cat survives the initial crisis, he/she can often regain much or sometimes all of his/her normal kidney function.

CRF may also manifest itself very suddenly and require IV treatment at the vet's, but in contrast to ARF it is an ongoing disease in which it is not possible to regain lost kidney function; so the goal is to keep the remaining function for as long as possible.

Hope this helps to clarify any misunderstandings!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blaise,

If you go to the sticky thread on CRF at the top of this forum, you'll see that many of us, including Sharky, have quite a bit of personal experience with CRF, and oft refer folks to the www.felinecrf.org site, and I to the online support group I belong to.

I'd dare say this forum has a lot of great info and tips to share on dealing with and detecting crf.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was informed by a feline yahoo group that there has been a recent pet food recall, dated January 22,2008. I looked up the FDA website and it's indeed accurate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

I was informed by a feline yahoo group that there has been a recent pet food recall, dated January 22,2008. I looked up the FDA website and it's indeed accurate.
OF what ??? or do I need to go look it up?? I get FDA recall updates daily and havent gotten a petfood one other than rat food in a while
a quick search of recent yielded last AUG
http://google2.fda.gov/search?access...7;3AD%3AS%3Ad1

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
www.fda.gov and type in pet food recall. It has information dated Feb. 6, 2008 and it list pet food recalled on Jan.22,2008.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATED>.. NOT actual that is a rice one from a while ago ....

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clearing that information, after re-reading you're right. I'm sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

Thanks for clearing that information, after re-reading you're right. I'm sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack.
No problem I misread alot

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by just1cat

Hello all,

This was just posted in my local online news site......thought I would share.

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index..../story_ID/7859

Question: Is this company affiliated with Nutro??
CHem Nutra was the IMPORTER.. IE the one who knew where the gluten was from.... Menu bought from them and then placed a UNapproved gluten( meaning this source had not been athorized in 100 different foods