Pet Food Recall

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mods, I don't know if you consider me and my Vet a Feline only doctor reputable...if not you can move this.

I just got back from my Vets office. I took in one of my girls in who regularly eats one of the recalled foods. I did not have any of the code numbers in house but since I buy food once every two weeks it has been from different production lots and I was worried. Her blood test came back normal but there is more to this then a normal test result.

The facts laid out to me are:

The smaller and older the pet the more risk there is.
The kidney is an organ that functions very well even when damaged. As a cat/dog ages liver cells die off and its normal to see changing results in liver panel tests in older pets. To begin seeing changes in the values on a liver panel the kidney has to have lost 1/3 function. To show real damage in the liver panel 2/3 of the liver has to be damaged.

So, cats that have eaten the recalled brand and the owners don't know what production lot the food was from can have damage from the rat drug and have normal results in their liver panel.

My cat is a young cat. The doctor said if she ate some of the poisoned food it may be 10 years before we see the damage.

They really know very little about this chemical and what the body does with it. They don't know if any of it is stored in any tissues in the body....to be released late by an unknown cause or process.

For breeders I asked if there was any risk of birth defects from latent chemical. As I read where this drug was discontinued here because of birth defects. I believe from what I read that these occured when the drug was administered to pregnate women. I was asking about future pregnancies.
He could not answer to this but felt there was not a risk. He said if he learned anything different he would let me know.

He recommended I watch my girl closely for any symptoms, they can still develop. He wants me to have her retested in two months....this is an arbitrary time as they have no idea. This is his best guess as to when he would expect to see some change in her kidney values.

I live in Massachusetts and go to the Cat Hospital of Auburn. They have a four-year accreditation from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), who accredits veterinarian hospitals. Only 10 percent of animal hospitals are granted this standard. It's difficult to get theres a lot a practice has to do to earn this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mia

From my general ( and it is general ) knowledge your vet is telling it by the book..... I am not a MOD but

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mia, what your vet said sounds reasonable to me at this point. Thanks for passing on your vet's opinion. We're all speculating right now, and hungry for informed opinions.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The site is boging down so here is the food name
""Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. Voluntarily Recalls Single Product, Prescription Dietâ„¢ m/dâ„¢ Feline Dry Food, Only Product Containing Wheat Gluten"

Prescription Diet Feline m/d is a weight loss food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Is that the only dry food recalled so far?
SO far /////

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crap! We just switched one of our diabetics at the shelter to MD. I'll have to switch him back to DM tomorrow morning.

From the Nutro website:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.asp

If your dog and/or cat eats Nutro dry food, biscuits or treats, it is absolutely safe to continue feeding them any of these products. There are NO dry pet foods included in this recall, our dry pet foods contain NO wheat gluten and NONE of our dry pet foods are manufactured by menu foods.

That is really good to hear!! The dry I mainly use is Nutro. bah! This just sucks!

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fluffee

Sharky,

I'm reading in the Orlando paper, some dry food is now being recalled. The following is the link to the Orlando newspaper. Anyond know anything more?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Fluffee
Please read the links from yesturday... i saw an upsate just today of the FDA site and the Menu site

CURRENTLY

Only Hills m/d dry is being recalled

in addtion to the other cuts and gravey Purina has now pulled Alpo prime cuts

flellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've fed Pepper, my cat, Hill's Dry food. One was food for dental work that my vet recommended. The other is indoor cat food. While neither is the product that Hill's has recalled, I'm still concerned if the products are safe. So, what I should do, feed him new stuff entirely? Should I also bring him to the vet to make sure he's OK and no damage has been done?

Help me out here.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check the ingredients. The only foods that are having problems are the ones using wheat gluten. Everything else should be fine.