Pedigree paper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by die_to_xxx

But wait.. Diego already had the flu when you got him? Great petshop there!
Yes the person at the store reckoned the gunk coming out his eyes was just coz of the dust in the place, but 2 days later when he started sneezing green chunks all over me, I thought
this and took him to the vet.

I kicked up a fuss even though we had insurance ree for a month, coz as far as I'm concerned no kitten/cat should need to see a vet just a few days after getting him.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Yes the person at the store reckoned the gunk coming out his eyes was just coz of the dust in the place, but 2 days later when he started sneezing green chunks all over me, I thought
this and took him to the vet.

I kicked up a fuss even though we had insurance ree for a month, coz as far as I'm concerned no kitten/cat should need to see a vet just a few days after getting him.
Totally!! I mean SERIOUSLY!!!!

The petshop I use are GREAT. They go through everything with you once you've selected a cat.. and then you have to fill out a form thing just ticking all the sections saying YES, they've explained that to you. I'm also lucky cause the branch of the chain I use has not only the store, but also a hotel, hospital and grooming parlor. So I know the cats are healthy when I buy them because the vet is RIGHT THERE.. that's also why I choose to use their hotel too.

That person though... SERIOUSLY...

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Totally!! I mean SERIOUSLY!!!!

The petshop I use are GREAT. They go through everything with you once you've selected a cat.. and then you have to fill out a form thing just ticking all the sections saying YES, they've explained that to you. I'm also lucky cause the branch of the chain I use has not only the store, but also a hotel, hospital and grooming parlor. So I know the cats are healthy when I buy them because the vet is RIGHT THERE.. that's also why I choose to use their hotel too.

That person though... SERIOUSLY...
I have a thread somewhere explaining why I purchased him from the pet store, I am against buying from pet stores but this was more a rescue as far as I'm concerned.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK breeders aren't allowed to sell kittens until they're 12 weeks old if they're registered with the GCCF. Hugely different from what's the norm in Japan obviously.

I didn't get Nikita until she was around 14 weeks because I was moving house a few days before and figured it was better to wait until I had moved rather than get a kitten and then move 3 days later.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

In the UK breeders aren't allowed to sell kittens until they're 12 weeks old if they're registered with the GCCF. Hugely different from what's the norm in Japan obviously.

I didn't get Nikita until she was around 14 weeks because I was moving house a few days before and figured it was better to wait until I had moved rather than get a kitten and then move 3 days later.
Yeah, hugely different.. I mean, I got my Shinya when she was 6 weeks old... And Yuna when she was 11 weeks old - the price having dropped excessively by this point because 11 weeks is just SO old.. or something!

Simply put, people here want TINY puppies and kittens. They really want to be a part of that adorable early kitten stage. By 12 weeks, that's pretty much gone..

But it does lead me to question, how many people really look after the kittens they get so young? Pre 12 week kittens involve much more work..more frequent feeding..milk formulas etc etc... And how many people ditch their kittens when they stop being cute and tiny and become cats? As they're so expensive here, I very much doubt that people would ditch their pets but I have this image of lots of ignored cats in this country...

I rambled a little..sorry!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me just qualify something here and let me defend a whole lot of Japanese breeders...

If you look at my points 1-3 above you can see that there is a huge difference between petshop breeders (in other words BYBs) and "true" breeders.

I can tell you that my dealings with Abyssinian breeders in Japan are just the same as dealing with American, Australian and European breeders. CFA/JPCU cats are hard to buy!

It seems quite clear that Japan has a thriving pet "industry". Most people do not care whether they buy quality cats or not - as long as their breed can be confirmed. I can assure you it has caused some problems here in S E Asia when people buy their cats from "unknown" sources only to go through what Diego is going through to get the cat registered with CFA.

It remains the same everywhere if you want to buy a show cat - one still has to attend the shows and one still has to work with and get to know a breeder before you can even attempt to purchase a cat of outstanding lines.

Indeed, I have myself been attempting to buy another female from one of the top catteries in Japan and the answers for the past six months has been "sorry Adilah-san, there is nothing good enough for you born yet in Japan!"

I suppose it all boils down to what you the buyer in Japan wants - a show cat or a pet... if you want a pet, go to the petshops and perhaps get ripped off. If you want a pet/show cat, then do the show rounds, get to know the breeders and eventually get a pet/show cat.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As they're so expensive here, I very much doubt that people would ditch their pets but I have this image of lots of ignored cats in this country...

I rambled a little..sorry!
Feral/stray cats up in Kanto are outrageous in numbers, I read an article on the ARK website that, vets over here refuse to put animals to sleep no matter how much pain and suffering the animal is enduring. However I read another article somewhere else that Kanto is over run by abandoned cats/kittens and they have to put them to sleep, the stats said that in 2002 90% more cats were put to sleep than dogs.
There is a forest somewhere in Tokyo I believe it is where a lady is doing her best to look after 100+ kittens and cats that are being abandoned. The place however isn't named because the lady believes that if people know the location, they will end up swamped with abandoned cats.

In short, even though they are ridiculously expensive here, including the domestic moggie, yes they do get abandoned.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

There is a forest somewhere in Tokyo I believe it is where a lady is doing her best to look after 100+ kittens and cats that are being abandoned. The place however isn't named because the lady believes that if people know the location, they will end up swamped with abandoned cats.
I understand where she's coming from.. but at the same time, if for example *I* knew the location, I'd run over there and rescue a couple! And I'm sure there must be other people like that... Cats are SO expensive here that I'm sure there are hundreds of people who want one, but simple can't afford the insane prices - the most expensive pet shop cat I've seen was 250,000en which made me go

Forget for a second the fact that abandoning an animal is totally wrong.. I can't beleive people would spend these hugely insane amounts and then just drop the poor thing off in a park or forest somewhere. Some people have more money than sense.. seriously....

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I suppose it all boils down to what you the buyer in Japan wants - a show cat or a pet... if you want a pet, go to the petshops and perhaps get ripped off. If you want a pet/show cat, then do the show rounds, get to know the breeders and eventually get a pet/show cat.
My problem is that I have a nasty habit of just falling in love...

I stumbled across Shinya and it was love at first sight.... Even though I knew that it would be better to go through a breeder, my fate was sealed!
And the same happened with Yuna... I took them home because somewhere inside I knew they were supposed to be with me... (and this is the reason I AVOID petshops if I can because this will keep happening!!
)
As expensive as pet shop cats can be... sometimes you just get a feeling and you know you're doomed!! Personally though, there are a lot of petstores here I just AVOID. There are some REALLY REALLY bad ones, and all my Japanese friends have a saying, "A pet bought from a store like that can never find happiness." Whether that's true or not isn't for me to say.. but I will say that there are just some pet stores here that are SO bad, it makes you want to cry.

I am however contemplating another kitten in the not so distant future... And while I'd love to go through a breeder next time, I really do think I want to get a siamese and, while I could be wrong.. I don't think there ARE any siamese breeders here in Japan. They occasionally pop up in pet stores but.. by occasionally I mean practically NEVER. So it looks like if I wanted a siamese, I'd have to go the pet store route...
Unless someone knows of any siamese breeders in Japan?!

I ramble too much... you must excuse me.. I've been staying in the house with the kitties CONSTANTLY since I got back to Japan on Saturday and so I'm pretty starved for company.. especially since the cats are more interested in each other than they are me! (They're asleep right now too..
)

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread has gotten off track some what, so before a mod closes it for that reason I will bring it back on track. Before starting this thread the was some doubt as to whether I would even receive a pedigree given it was a petshop pure breed. Then after I got the papers some doubt was raised as to the authenticity, but that has now been sorted with the excellent help of both GoldenKitty45, who gave me lots of advice and Abymummy who went out of her way to talk to Japanese judges when at a cat show recently.

As for the price of cats here, yes they are bl**dy expensive and moggies are the same price as pure breeds. I guess it can't be helped.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This thread has gotten off track some what, so before a mod closes it for that reason I will bring it back on track. Before starting this thread the was some doubt as to whether I would even receive a pedigree given it was a petshop pure breed. Then after I got the papers some doubt was raised as to the authenticity, but that has now been sorted with the excellent help of both GoldenKitty45, who gave me lots of advice and Abymummy who went out of her way to talk to Japanese judges when at a cat show recently.

As for the price of cats here, yes they are bl**dy expensive and moggies are the same price as pure breeds. I guess it can't be helped.
So.. are you going to try and register Diego and hopefully show him? Is it possible? Even though I don't intend to show them, I might register my cats just so it's done... if it's possible...

And yeah... bl**dy expensive pretty much sums it up... I have this memory that when I was about 13 or 14, you could go to a pet shop in the UK and buy a kitten for about 10 to 20 pounds (argh to this keyboard for not having a pound sign key!!) That's $20 to $40 I THINK... Ok.. who knows what kind of cat you were getting, and I'm sure kittens aren't that cheap from petshops nowadays but STILL... they're probably charging anything from 80,000en for the same kind of cat in this country!
Crazyyyyyyyyyy...

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So.. are you going to try and register Diego and hopefully show him? Is it possible? Even though I don't intend to show them, I might register my cats just so it's done... if it's possible...

And yeah... bl**dy expensive pretty much sums it up... I have this memory that when I was about 13 or 14, you could go to a pet shop in the UK and buy a kitten for about 10 to 20 pounds (argh to this keyboard for not having a pound sign key!!) That's $20 to $40 I THINK... Ok.. who knows what kind of cat you were getting, and I'm sure kittens aren't that cheap from petshops nowadays but STILL... they're probably charging anything from 80,000en for the same kind of cat in this country!
Crazyyyyyyyyyy...
Oh he's already registered with CTS (not to be confused with TCS
)

Yep I remember those days, buy a healthy kitten for $10 from a petstore now you pay more than $120. Even now when a cat has kittens, the owners sell their kittens but alot cheaper, but I remember the days when kittens were free if someones cat had a litter.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh he's already registered with CTS (not to be confused with TCS
)

Yep I remember those days, buy a healthy kitten for $10 from a petstore now you pay more than $120. Even now when a cat has kittens, the owners sell their kittens but alot cheaper, but I remember the days when kittens were free if someones cat had a litter.
Oooh, so you're going to try and show him then?

And yeah... even when you want to adopt a cat from someone who can't look after him/her anymore, you get charged an adoption fee right? I think that's the assure the cat goes to a decent home but.. it's still SO different now..

Randomly.. you're from New Zealand originally? My sister just moved there this year! - My poor parents... they live in England and their only 2 daughters moved to Japan and New Zealand!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oooh, so you're going to try and show him then?

And yeah... even when you want to adopt a cat from someone who can't look after him/her anymore, you get charged an adoption fee right? I think that's the assure the cat goes to a decent home but.. it's still SO different now..

Randomly.. you're from New Zealand originally? My sister just moved there this year! - My poor parents... they live in England and their only 2 daughters moved to Japan and New Zealand!
I would like to show him once, thats why I asked Abymummy yesterday how many generations I need for registering with JPCU, so he has a good 1 show. I don't think it wise to show him more than that since he's a pet not show cat.
Although he does have some champion ancestors.

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I would like to show him once, thats why I asked Abymummy yesterday how many generations I need for registering with JPCU, so he has a good 1 show. I don't think it wise to show him more than that since he's a pet not show cat.
Although he does have some champion ancestors.
Good luck then!! And make sure to post about it all!!