Pay It Forward - new game

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That'll be only one cat and this cat has better to fit as a fiddle! LOL!

Just replace the question again with one cat and one mouse and one minute. Oh well, you get the idea...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

If three cats catch three mice in three minutes, how many cats would be needed to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes?
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

That'll be only one cat and this cat has better to fit as a fiddle! LOL!

Just replace the question again with one cat and one mouse and one minute. Oh well, you get the idea...
I dont know if Kim's still on so I'm going to answer for her...
I dont think that's right, but I think your idea is really close!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The answer has to be 1. Each cat catches one per minute so in 100 mins it would be one cat. I think tutti bella is right

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
33.3333333 cats or something

Anywhoo, the answer for my question last night was

Blitzen / Diana / 2:30a.m / Drums
Comet / Jerry / 1:00a.m / Teddy Bear
Donner / Ryan / 2:00a.m / Building Blocks
Prancer / Sadie / 4:00a.m / Train Set
Rudolph / Craig / 1:30a.m / Doll

1:00 - Comet - Jerry - T.Bear
1:30 - Rudolph - Craig - Doll
2:00 - Donner - Ryan - Blocks
2:30 - Blitzen - Diana - Drums
4:00 - Prancer - Sadie - Train

You got it marianjela!! Prize coming up!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

I have insomnia too. That and OCD. It drives me NUTS if i cant figure somethig out and I wont sleep thnking about it.

That's one of the reasons why I'm NOT playing this game! I know I'll be up for hours trying to figure it out!
That, and the fact that I've never been very good at riddles..

~KK~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If three cats catch three mice in three minutes, how many cats would be needed to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes?

Warning: I will be unavailable (girl scout meeting, orchestra rehearsal - for about the next 5.5 hours.) You may continue the game without me if you so desire!
Okay Im going to talk to myself for a minute and try to figure this out, so dont read to closely! LOL

If 3 cats catch 3 mice in 3 minutes, its logical to think that 100 cats could catch 100 mice in 100 minutes. But if you are using 3 cats, and they each catch one mouce per minute than it would have to be 33 cats catching the mice, if you are using the same cat over again. So then each could catching one mouce per minute... oh darn that wouldn't work because then they could catch way more mice if you use the whole 100 minutes... I think it would have to be 1 cat catching 100 mice, one per minute. But, if you are using 3 cats to do it, each one catching one per minute, they could each catch 33.33 mice and that would equal out to be a hundred mice in 100 minutes right?? did I fry my brain?? I dont think this is right but I will say the answer has to be 3?? Cuz it says how many cats would it take to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes, and the 3 could really do it if they kept at a pace of one per minute right?? Gotta be 3... Oh poo, I dont know... Ive lost my mind and I can't find it, and Ive been trying to figure this one out for way too long! Thats it, Im googling it!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Im a loser... I should of listened to myself but since myself was saying 4 different answers, it didn't work!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
1. it takes 1 cat 3 minutes to catch 1 mouse. just because there are 2 others ALSO catching mice has no effect on the time it takes each one.
2. therefore, in order for 100 mice to be caught in 100 minutes, you would need 3.3 cats per mouse [assuming that would make them 3 times faster at the catching, which it wouldn't...]
3. so, it would take 333 cats.
that's my answer, & i'm sticking to it!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hint:

Cat "A" catches a mouse the first minute.

Cat "B" catches a mouse the second minute.

Cat "C" catches a mouse the third minute.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Warning: I will be unavailable (girl scout meeting, orchestra rehearsal - for about the next 5.5 hours.) You may continue the game without me if you so desire!
One cat is my conclusion!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Hint:

Cat "A" catches a mouse the first minute.

Cat "B" catches a mouse the second minute.

Cat "C" catches a mouse the third minute.
But see, it doesn't ask how long it will take 3 cats to catch 100 mice. It asks how many cats to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes. So, one

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This "team" catches them at a rate of 1 per minute. If you add a cat or subtract a cat then the rate would adjust accordingly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

This "team" catches them at a rate of 1 per minute. If you add a cat or subtract a cat then the rate would adjust accordingly.
actually, the original post doesn't say they cooperate in the catching, or how long it takes ONE cat to catch ONE mouse... therefore, those would be assumptions, not given facts. the only given fact is that it takes 3 of them 3 minutes. my assumption was that each of them takes 3 minutes to catch a mouse...
if you're saying that they work as a team, then it'd take a single cat longer. if we're saying it only takes 1 cat 1 minute, then the original premise is somewhat mis-stated...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, the original post doesn't say they cooperate in the catching, or how long it takes ONE cat to catch ONE mouse... therefore, those would be assumptions, not given facts. the only given fact is that it takes 3 of them 3 minutes. my assumption was that each of them takes 3 minutes to catch a mouse...
if you're saying that they work as a team, then it'd take a single cat longer. if we're saying it only takes 1 cat 1 minute, then the original premise is somewhat mis-stated...
You're right, it doesnt say team. That was my hint.

3 cats, 3 mice, 3 minutes. With this information we know the rate is 1 per minute.

How many cats are needed to maintain this rate?!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

You're right, it doesnt say team. That was my hint.

3 cats, 3 mice, 3 minutes. With this information we know the rate is 1 per minute.

How many cats are needed to maintain this rate?!
i understand that you think they're working as a team... but kluchetta posted the original question. how can you be sure your assumption is the correct one?

i guess i'm confused
- did you PM her & she told you you were right in your thinking? or did you do as glitch did & researched it? am i just not understanding? do i have too many questions for something that's supposed to be fun?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i understand that you think they're working as a team... but kluchetta posted the original question. how can you be sure your assumption is the correct one?

i guess i'm confused
- did you PM her & she told you you were right in your thinking? or did you do as glitch did & researched it? am i just not understanding? do i have too many questions for something that's supposed to be fun?

Because Kim PM'ed me the answer so I could help her while she was away.

I'm just trying to give helpful hints...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, sorry I was gone so long. I got a migraine and it only just went away.

I should probably post the answer because, IMO it was kind of dumb. That's what I get for going online for a question.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno, I kinda like it when we're all trying to figure it out and coming up with different answers

This is my reasoning:
Original Question: "If three cats catch three mice in three minutes, how many cats would be needed to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes?"

It doesn't ask how many mice these three cats might catch - just how many to catch 100 mice in 100 minutes. So, I stand by my answer
even if its terribly wrong!

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As we don't know how long each cat takes to catch a mouse you could (possibly maybe) say that 3 cats catch x mice in x minutes.
So then my answer is 3.
You could also have it as 4.
If it takes each cat 3 mins to catch a mouse, then you'd need 4 cats as it would take 3 cats 99 mins to catch 99 mice.
But I think there was a hint somewhere that said otherwise.
If the whole 3x3x3 thing is a red herring then I'm going with 3.

How wrong am I?