Pattys first Vet visit-she might be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh ok..thanks..im so worried but just hope shes ok..I'm also going to ask them if there is a way to confirm her pregnancy instead of this waiting
Thanks again for the info

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel certain your new little girl will be fine. However, if she is found to be pregnant and it is determined that a modifed live virus vaccine was used, it might be best to go ahaead and have her spayed, which of course, will terminate the pregnancy. Speak candidly with your vet about this - keep your cool, don't lose your temper, ask informed, intelligent questions and above all else, keep your little girl's welfare in the forefront of your mind.

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
def thanks..do u think that if indeed it is determined that she was given a live virus I should most definetly terminate the pregnancy? I guess the vet will be able to give me the pros and cons of the situation..thanks again for the advice

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katgrl81

def thanks..do u think that if indeed it is determined that she was given a live virus I should most definetly terminate the pregnancy? I guess the vet will be able to give me the pros and cons of the situation..thanks again for the advice
If it were my cat and the pregnancy wasn't very far along, then yes, I would terminate. However, you are correct in believing your vet will be able to give you better explanations of the options open and available to you. If you are not satisfied with the answers you get, please make sure you ask him to expand his answers. Make certain YOU understand before making a decision.

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
def thank u so much..
Well according to my calculations I would say she's around 40 days into the pregnancy..making her around 5-6 weeks pregnant which I fear may be too far along? I'm a little confused though b/c I thought her nipples would be red or swollen..all I'm going by is that her stomach is rounded and a bit big..

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A large, rounded belly could be an indication of worms or also of the effusive form of FIP. However, again, please do not read anything into my responses until you have thoroughly discussed your girl's status with the vet.

And as a matter of course, I would take her to a different vet from the one who went ahead with the vaccines if I were you ... personally, I found him to be a bit of a bonehead.

~gf~

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
def i agree thanks again so much for your help
have a great day and I will def keep u guys updated on how it goes

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed Patty was wheezing a little as she slept..shes been sleeping a lot..i guess this is normal after vacinations?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

And as a matter of course, I would take her to a different vet from the one who went ahead with the vaccines if I were you ... personally, I found him to be a bit of a bonehead.

~gf~

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the advice guys
lm happy to report Patty seems a lot more like herself today
I was so worried yesterday...she was sleeping a lot and then she'd wake up and be listless..I'd even put her favorite toys in front of her and it was like nothing..I'm so used to her being her little crazy self sometimes..like when I go the bathroom and if I'm gone for more than a few minutes she'll come by and scratch on the wall and want to play as soon as I exit..hopping around..Last night she fell asleep on the couch and I covered her up and placed some of her toys in front of her..This morning my bf said he heard noises coming from the living room..like the sounds of her playing with her toys..sure enough all her toys were thrown all over the place.looks like she had lots of fun, and she jumped on the bed in the morning meowing like she always does to get fed...lol I'm so happy she's feeling better....its so funny how these little rascals can be pain in the butts sometimes but when they stop acting up you get so worried and are sooooo grateful for their normal behavior to occur again..LOL
I will most def call some vets tomorrow and see what I can find out..Once again..thanks u guys

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL i love the photos of her with the harness on! def not too pleased with that!

she is so lucky to have you caring for her.

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks catnapt
I feel lucky to have her

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little girl. I hope if she is PG that all willbe OK. Sounds like she is quite far along if so....and her nipples might not be swollen till the last week or 2 if she is.
Maybe it`s just worms....you`ll know one way or the other soon enough.
I hope everything will be OK.
Linda

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
great thanks Linda..well I called the office of the vets that came to the Petstore for the vaccinations..spoke to the docor and explained the situation. He said I shouldn't worry b/c the vaccinations they use r dead. And about the de-wormer he said that if anything that will help her. Let's hope he right
Then I asked him if there was a way to know if she was pregnant. He was a smart allick and responded.."Yes when she has kittens.."
so then I asked.."well I'd like to know before that.." To which he said ultrasound was the other way. Once I hung up with him I called two other vet offices..both said I could take her in for a check up and quoted me their prices. One office said after the check-up if they still can't determine if she's pregnant I could do bloodwork since they don't like using ultrasound. I'm wondering though..she seems to be happy and healthy again. Should I take her to one of those vets? I'd hate to stress her out for nothing. Also unfortunately they are pretty much booked up and I'd have to attempt a walk in and I work Monday-Friday. What do you guys think I should do? Also, about worms-is there a way to tell? She seems to eat normally and uses her litterbox. Is there anything to be on the look out for? Thanks again for the advice!
Have a Great Day

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
on a side note I think I'm going to have to stop playing hide and go seek so much with Patty...she seems to really enjoy playing usually it involves me sneaking around and hiding..her coming to find me and when i approach her slowly her running like mad away and then sneaking back..i just realized as I played with her as she runs she bumps into furniture when she turns and that may not be too good for the kittens..assuming there any any

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, another side note and little off topic-sorry
I wanted to ask....Sometimes I notice Patty twitches as she walks..it'll be these jerky movements..shes been doing it for as long as I can remember...nothing major but she usually licks herself afterward...could this be a sign of something bad or maybe its normal in some cats?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she had an itch or something on her wherever it was that she twitched.

You know, if she isn't past the point where it is too late then you could have her spayed now anyway. There are so many kittens in the world, you don't need to let her bring more into it. Plus who knows who the Tomcat is, he could have been diseased. She could end up rejecting the kittens and you have to bottle feed them for a long time every 2-4 hours all day all night. There are a lot of risks with a pregnant cat off the streets having babies. It could risk her life too. This is a worst case scenario, everything could be fine, but then it goes back to the issue of the already overpopulated cat world.

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand your point Jen..and I def intend to find loving homes for all those kittens if indeed she is pregnant(who knows maybe one of them might stay here
) But I just kinda feel that her becoming pregnant was beyond my control and I hate to bring religion into this..I'm not big on it much..but I just feel that those kittens maybe they were meant to be and I'll just keep my eye on her...and just hope and pray everything goes ok(no complications or worst case scenarios..hopefully)..
Thanks again for your input
By the way, so you would say its normal for her to twitch like that sometimes..she seems to do is a few times a day maybe more? Thanks again..Take Care

dazeemazeegraze

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katgrl81

great thanks Linda..well I called the office of the vets that came to the Petstore for the vaccinations..spoke to the docor and explained the situation. He said I shouldn't worry b/c the vaccinations they use r dead. And about the de-wormer he said that if anything that will help her. Let's hope he right
Then I asked him if there was a way to know if she was pregnant. He was a smart allick and responded.."Yes when she has kittens.."
so then I asked.."well I'd like to know before that.." To which he said ultrasound was the other way. Once I hung up with him I called two other vet offices..both said I could take her in for a check up and quoted me their prices. One office said after the check-up if they still can't determine if she's pregnant I could do bloodwork since they don't like using ultrasound. I'm wondering though..she seems to be happy and healthy again. Should I take her to one of those vets? I'd hate to stress her out for nothing. Also unfortunately they are pretty much booked up and I'd have to attempt a walk in and I work Monday-Friday. What do you guys think I should do? Also, about worms-is there a way to tell? She seems to eat normally and uses her litterbox. Is there anything to be on the look out for? Thanks again for the advice!
Have a Great Day
Patty is beautiful!
Reminds me of my Grazee

I would definitely go to a different vet. To see if she has worms, you might be able to drop a stool sample for a fecal test instead of having to take her in for an exam. It was less than $15 for that where I am.

Good luck with her!

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
great thanks for the advice..will call the vets and see if I can just drop off a sample so I can rule that out.