Panic Attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning at about 3am, i was awoken to a cat screaming in full attack mode, attacking a cloth grocery bag in my living room. When i went to take the bag, she jumped on it, and wouldnt let me near it.  I finally got it away from her, and she started attacking me too!

After  20 minutes of her running around the house in full blast mode, I finally managed to corral her into a cage and shut the door, but not without her attacking just about everything in sight (sofa, chairs, plants, me, you name it, i havent taken a damage toll yet, but shes easily destroyed a thousand in upholstery alone.).  She kept screaming and rampaging though, and i finally doused her with a cup of cold water to try to shock her out of it, which it seemed to do, because she shut up almost instantly, and now shes acting fine, though im nowhere near letting her out of the cage anytime soon.

Then, i noticed that she had left droppings all over the floor, like 10+ as well as urinating on the sofa cushion. This leads me to believe that she was scared out of her mind. But i cant for the life of me figure out why?

Ive never harmed her, never even so much as raised my voice at her. There are no other animals in the building, and i just cant find anything that would have startled her into such a frenzy, or why on earth she would attack me after i removed the object that i assume originally set her off.

I love this cat, but if she so much as hisses at me again, shes going to have a short trip to euthanasia land. I cant have a bipolar wild animal running around my house, whom i cant trust around my belongings, guests, or even myself.

Any clues as to what could have caused it?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like redirected agression.  Can she see outside?  If so, she may have seen another cat.

However, it's also possible she was "attacked" by the cloth grocery bag.  If she was playing in it and got one of the handles caught around her neck, she may have panicked, thinking she was being attacked by another animal.  I have seen fairly calm cats go absolutely bonkers with a plastic shopping bag handle around their neck.  Some cat owners recommend cutting the handles of any bag like that that you leave around.

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this cat, but if she so much as hisses at me again, shes going to have a short trip to euthanasia land. I cant have a bipolar wild animal running around my house, whom i cant trust around my belongings, guests, or even myself.

Wow. What an absolutely deplorable thing to say. Obviously, your cat was afraid of something. You came to this conclusion yourself. My Crumb is an inside cat who suddenly developed an extreme fear of strangers. I believe he must have seen something out the window. This is I'm sure a very trying experience for both of you, but saying things like that, even in jest... 

Here's to being glad there wasn't some omnipotent being that decided I should be put to death when I act irrationally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds like redirected agression.  Can she see outside?  If so, she may have seen another cat.

However, it's also possible she was "attacked" by the cloth grocery bag.  If she was playing in it and got one of the handles caught around her neck, she may have panicked, thinking she was being attacked by another animal.  I have seen fairly calm cats go absolutely bonkers with a plastic shopping bag handle around their neck.  Some cat owners recommend cutting the handles of any bag like that that you leave around.
Its possible she was messed up in the bag, but shes played around with them before, even getting caught up in them, but never reacted like this.  As for windows, i dont have many in the place, two of the three had blinds, and the other was in a different room from where she started her tirade. Also, we are on the second story.

Wow. What an absolutely deplorable thing to say. Obviously, your cat was afraid of something. You came to this conclusion yourself. My Crumb is an inside cat who suddenly developed an extreme fear of strangers. I believe he must have seen something out the window. This is I'm sure a very trying experience for both of you, but saying things like that, even in jest... 

Here's to being glad there wasn't some omnipotent being that decided I should be put to death when I act irrationally.
Deplorable or not, i babysit my cousins child often, and dont fancy having my belongings shreded. Maybe im not as devoted and caring as you are, but i cant afford to babysit a cats every move. And i most definately dont intend to shove her in a cage every time  i have company or leave the house. I didnt adopt her to be a liability, and if she shows this type of behavior again, i will have no choice but to dump her in an alley somewhere, or take her to the pound. (and the pound around here makes quick work of voilent animals)

I dont think you understand the gravity of the situation, im bleeding from multpile scratches, and three places where she bit (hard) and punctured skin. One of them is still bleeding.  My $3000 sofa is now a combination of shredded fabric and foam, and all around my home, plants are knocked over, glass broken, etc.  Ive seen cats get scared and react before, but ive never heard of a cat going berserk for nearly 30 minutes and attacking everything but their own shadow.

Maybe im a mean guy, but when an animal attacks me, and does that amount of damage to my home and belongings, i dont care how cute and cuddly it is.  Im giving her a chance because of the possibility that she was frightened, but im not so emotionally attached as to ignore the fact that the cat just did $1000+ worth of damage to my home, as well as a number on my hands and arms. If she isnt a stable house pet, then i wont hesitate to do what needs to be done.

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update:

I let her out a few minutes ago as she has had about  4 hours to calm downn, and after about 30 seconds of sniffing around, she jumped right back into it. Started hissing at the wall (seriously), then leapt at it, and started attacking it..  I scruffed her, and put her back in the cage.  I just called my vet, and im taking her down today to have them look at her.

Im almost convinced that she has some sort of chemical imbalance now. No normal cat goes berserk on and starts ramming themselves into a wall. She hasnt had access to any chemicals in the house, theres not even a dirty dish or half-full can of soda within her reach.  I havent changed her diet at all either.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about chemical imbalance, but neurological problem, definitely.  Especially since the problem came on abruptly.

Glad you're taking her to the vets for a medical exam.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This poor kitty - something is really wrong and she needs to see a vet to be examined. Something has really, really freaked her out and frightened her so badly that she actually sounds to me like she has PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Please do not euthanize this kitty :(. She will just need an anti-depressant to help her calm back down and get over what ever it was. Much luck today at the vet :cross: Let us know what the vet says. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet gave her a hefty dose of tranqulizer, and told me to let her sleep, and call them if she acts up again.

whats another $65.

brightlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think your cat is behaving aggressively for no reason.  Behavior this sudden and severe must have a physical cause behind it.  If she isn't better after the tranquilizer wears off, please do call your vet.  I would have them do a blood test and physical exam to see what is going on.  It could be any number of things that could have a simple remedy or treatment, or it could be something more serious.  Either way, you'll never know if it could be helped if you don't try.

And, IMO, if you decide that you cannot deal with your cat or her issues, it would be much kinder to take her to your vet and have her euthanized versus a pound/shelter or just abandoning her to the streets.

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think your cat is behaving aggressively for no reason.  Behavior this sudden and severe must have a physical cause behind it.  If she isn't better after the tranquilizer wears off, please do call your vet.  I would have them do a blood test and physical exam to see what is going on.  It could be any number of things that could have a simple remedy or treatment, or it could be something more serious.  Either way, you'll never know if it could be helped if you don't try.

And, IMO, if you decide that you cannot deal with your cat or her issues, it would be much kinder to take her to your vet and have her euthanized versus a pound/shelter or just abandoning her to the streets.

She did it again last night when i let her out of the cage, but i was quick enough to catch her and put her right back in her cage. This time, she attacked a pillow on whats left of my sofa. I will be discussing euthanization with the doctor on monday. I have no intention of owning an unstable animal, whom i have to medicate and watch daily. I hate to kill the poor thing, but there comes a point when a cat is better off being put down peacefully, rather than spend its life in a concrete and wire cage. Either way, she has worn out her welcome with me, and will not be returning to my home. I adopted the cat from the vet office, and i know the staff there quite well, so ill leave the choice to them as to what to do. If they think they can find a home thats more willing to deal with her problems, then thats fantastic. In the mean time, i cant afford (emotionally or physically) to lock up a cat in a small cage all day long, and take the time out of my day to spend money on vet fees for a cat whom i cant get near without the fear of her attacking me.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this cat was normal for a long period of time and this was a sudden occurance, something happened to her.  My best bet is the bag, but it could be something else.  Maybe someone tried to break in the house.  Maybe another cat outside scared her.  Maybe she even had some sort of stroke.  She may be irretrievably damaged; however, I hope no one makes that sudden a decision about you or me, should we have a sudden problem.  Of course, we can tell someone what happened to us; she can't.  All you can do is use your deductive powers.

I hope you got your wounds taken care of, especially any deep bites.  They get infected very easily, and it can be very serious.

Last edited:

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If this cat was normal for a long period of time and this was a sudden occurance, something happened to her.  My best bet is the bag, but it could be something else.  Maybe someone tried to break in the house.  Maybe another cat outside scared her.  Maybe she even had some sort of stroke.  She may be irretrievably damaged; however, I hope no one makes that sudden a decision about you or me, should we have a sudden problem.  Of course, we can tell someone what happened to us; she can't.  All you can do is use your deductive powers.

I hope you got your wounds taken care of, especially any deep bites.  They get infected very easily, and it can be very serious.

I called my doctor and he sent me a prescription of some antibiotics, i also cleaned the cuts and put neosporin on them, so far none of them have even so much as swollen up.

I am not sure what triggered the problem, but its apparent that there is something seriously wrong with her, however as it stands now, she attacks litterally anything, and its getting to the point where she is self destructive. She is walking with a small limp, and part of her tail is missing a bit of hair from what i can see. Now when i get close to the cage, she starts up immediately, so im doing my best to avoid her for her own sake.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really odd.  It may have been something so traumatic (cats can easily hurt themselves in full panic mode, running into objects, etc.) that it did her real damage, or at least hurt so much that she is panicking just at the passing though of it.  Poor little girl.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mike, it could also have been a stroke, or some type of nerve damage from a wrong jump or fall. This is just tragic. :(

To the OP: You don't want to try phenobarbitol or have an MRI or ultrasound or something done before you make such a final decision?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really feel very very sad for this kitty. She has severe anxiety from something that has happened in the home. I understand you are upset and frustrated emotionally and physically as is your cat. She is going through something very traumatic. I also want to add that you dousing her with cold water was the worst thing you could have done to her that night after her scare. Then you toss her into a cage even more intensifying her emotional state :mad:. And being kept in a small cage in the home now is not going to help her. So all in one night, she is traumatized by something, then her meowmy comes in, throws cold water on her, tosses her in a cage, and now treats her like a wild animal, saying if she does this again, she will be gone..... :hmm: She knows you have given up on her and this is making her even more insecure and frightened. Is there anyone willing to take her from you and see if being in another environment would bring her to a more stable mental condition? What about a foster home from a rescue, someone kind and willing to give this cat another chance at life? I wish I were near, I would like to help this poor kitty or contact some wonderful people I know who might give her a chance. All things considered, I just don't think she will recover or get better living under these conditions another day. I would try to find a rescue to take her. Just be honest as to what happened that night and own up to the fact that you are partially responsible for her new behavior because of the way you reacted and handled her panic. They will understand and try to place this cat in an appropriate foster home. She does deserve another chance. :cross:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called my doctor and he sent me a prescription of some antibiotics, i also cleaned the cuts and put neosporin on them, so far none of them have even so much as swollen up.

I am not sure what triggered the problem, but its apparent that there is something seriously wrong with her, however as it stands now, she attacks litterally anything, and its getting to the point where she is self destructive. She is walking with a small limp, and part of her tail is missing a bit of hair from what i can see. Now when i get close to the cage, she starts up immediately, so im doing my best to avoid her for her own sake.
:confused: You say when you get close to the cage, she acts up? Then how did you clean up her cuts :hmm: since you are doing your best to avoid her :dk: I do think it is best for you to bring her back to the vet since you say that is where you got her from. But again, I ask you to be honest about what you did to her and how you handled her after her panic attack. That way, they can better understand why she is even more completely unstable at the moment. The one person she counted on for security and comfort, turned on her.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She did it again last night when i let her out of the cage, but i was quick enough to catch her and put her right back in her cage. This time, she attacked a pillow on whats left of my sofa. I will be discussing euthanization with the doctor on monday. I have no intention of owning an unstable animal, whom i have to medicate and watch daily. I hate to kill the poor thing, but there comes a point when a cat is better off being put down peacefully, rather than spend its life in a concrete and wire cage. Either way, she has worn out her welcome with me, and will not be returning to my home. I adopted the cat from the vet office, and i know the staff there quite well, so ill leave the choice to them as to what to do. If they think they can find a home thats more willing to deal with her problems, then thats fantastic. In the mean time, i cant afford (emotionally or physically) to lock up a cat in a small cage all day long, and take the time out of my day to spend money on vet fees for a cat whom i cant get near without the fear of her attacking me.
Again, Please do bring her back to the vet you adopted her from. It is for the best. Again, be honest about what happened that night, every detail. That in itself will save her life, I am sure. This kitty knows you don't care about her. The way you talk about her in the above quoted paragraph speaks volumes to me about how you feel about this poor little girl :shame:

Last edited:

viperthreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
^^ i do care about the cat, ive lived with her for a year, ive spent at least an hour each evening playing with her, not to mention the time she spends on my lap while im working on the computer, or in front of the television. Im not so inhuman as to say that i dont give a hoot, its tearing me up inside that i have to keep my cute little suzu confined to a 3x3x5 dog cage all day for fear that she will attack me, its not right, but i dont have a choice..  Im also dreading having to put her down, but the realist part of me says that its the most humane option at this point.

Step by step of the first night:

1. I wake up to my cat screaming attack mode

2. Walk out to living room, she is in attack stance maybe a foot from a grocery bag.

3. She sees me, but still focuses on grocery bag.

4. I walk over slowly talking calmingly, pick up bag

5. she leaps onto bag, and starts biting/clawing

6. I drop bag, she attacks it on ground

7. she turns from bag for a moment, i pull bag away, and hold it up high, wad into fist.

8. she jumps on my leg and begins to bite/claw it

9. i bump her away, and quickly make my way to the kitchen, where i toss the bag in a cabinet

10. I come out, shes attacking sofa. I try to get near her to distract her attention, but she hisses at me and makes a jump at my outstretched hand

11. I go out to garage, and get cage

12. I come back in and wait, hopeing she will calm down

13. 5+ minutes have passed, shes still on a rampage

14. i start to carral her with the cage

15. she attacks cage and me, then runs

16. she starts attacking a chair on the other side of the room.

17. i slowly follow her over, she runs and attacks something else

18. (repeat 16-17 multiple times)

19. i toss one of her kitty toys and distract her long enough to scruff her

20. shes still thrashing in my hands and screaming, i manage to get her in the cage

21. shes still trashing in the cage, ramming herself  against the walls.

22. five more minutes have passed, shes still screaming and rampaging

23. small water bottle spritz doesnt calm her down

24. treats, distractions dont calm her down

25. get frustrated, take her out on the patio, turn the hose on her

26. she finally shuts up and calms down (estimate time total 15-20 mins)

Take her to vet, vet checks ears, nose, temperature, etc. Says shes fine, gives her tranqulizer to help her calm down

Next night:

1. Let cat out at about 9pm, she seems calm enough, rubs up against me, purring.

2. Jumps down from ledge where i have the cat cage (high up so she can see the whole living room)

3. Suddenly hissing

4. Headbutting wall,

5. scruff her

6. put her back in cage

7. she calms down after a few minutes without needing to be hosed.

Next day:

1. Let cat out at about noon, rubs up against me, purring again.

2. Jumps down from ledge

3. Goes to potty (guess she didnt like my pie tin and sand idea)

4. comes out of potty, purring

5. suddenly hissing

6. attacking computer chair

7. scruff her

8. back in cage

9. few minutes go by, shes calm again

Last night: 

1. Let her out about 8pm

2. about 20 minutes go by, shes happy, purring, on my lap

3. suddenly hissing at my hand using computer mouse

4. jumping on desk, attacking my hand , then goes for face.

5. i swipe her down before she gets to my face (yea, i swatted her down, this is the first time ive done any aggressive act towards her)

6. catch her before she rebounds, scruff her

7. put her in cage

8. she screams and rampages for about 10 minutes, then calms down

Game over for me. I was willing to give her a chance, but the second she went for my face, it was over. Shes going to the vet today, and im not bringing her back. They can do what they want with her, maybe she will find a home, but i have a strong suspicion that the only place shes going is 6ft under. I know shes not human and cant comprehend things like we do, but ive given her a home, fed her, loved her, etc. And her only response is to destroy my home, and quite litterally bite the hand that feeds her, not only can i not afford to pay for the extensive treatment that she will need, i do not have the time (im a full time college student, and work full time at home). There are millions of cats in the world, and maybe an older one at the pound will more appreciate the home i have to offer.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really am in tears right now. For this cat....:sobbing: I seriously still think handling her the way you did that first episode, scruffing her, throwing her in a dog cage, the hosing outside on the patio with her in the crate, just tears me up inside. That is animal cruelty. I am just sick to read that you did that to the cat. That only led her to become more emotionally unstable, even if it was something gone wrong in her brain, that was just cruel to hose her. I am really sorry for this cat. :bawling:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
At this point, bringing her to the vets and leaving her there is best, but please let them make the decision on what to do with her. They may have ideas to help her and have not run out of patience yet. I wish this kitty luck. :vibes:

Status
Not open for further replies.