Our EXOTIC furbabies

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
where is the best place to start researching big cats.. I am not ready yet but in a few years I will be ...

there all lovely ... big hugs to all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

where is the best place to start researching big cats.. I am not ready yet but in a few years I will be ...

there all lovely ... big hugs to all
If you click on the link under Boris' picture (our home page), you will see a bunch of links at the very end of the page. There you can find all kinds of information on exotic cat ownership. If there is anything I can help you with, please ask

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some new pictures of the kids

Amber sitting pretty.

Amber says, this is MY toy and YOU are NOT getting it

I woke Boris up here. He doesn't look to happy with me and the camera

Boris and Carmelo playing. Boris turned his head at the last moment.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carmelo is getting to be a big boy

Relaxing after some good play time.

Carmelo acting silly

Close up of that adorable cougar face.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few more

Carmelo sucking my thumb before going to sleep. (Yes, they do this
)

My wife giving Carmelo a kiss good night.

Snuggle time with Carmelo

And now, lets go back in time. Back to September, when Caremlo was only this big, with blue eyes and covered in black spots

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh man!
oh man!
oh man!
I just had my exotic fix for the day!!

That was awesome!!!!!
I love it!!!
I just keep sitting here at work going those are dog toys!!!! WOW!

Thank You, John as usual you made my day!! They get more beautiful every time you post!!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed them
Yes, those are dogs toys. They also play with those sticks you see on the floor as well. I brought those in for Carmelo so he can chew on them. He is getting ready to lose his baby teeth now and has been chewing on things.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recognized the dog toys because I buy them for my big lab and I have to imagine them in your big cats mouth and that blows my mind everytime.

I find that so cool!!

I could never be as responsible as you are with your babies so I will enjoy them thru your pictures.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to get a few of Nakoma. We can't forget about this big handsome boy

Nakoma in the snow

Nakoma doesn't like the camera much

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the new pics John!
Everyone is gorgeous!!

My how Carmelo has grown...I can't really tell but in that one pic he looks like he is as big as Boris now.
Hehe, I love the pic of Amber with her toy

ncarpi75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amber, I have to say that I am so impressed!! And, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the basics of raising exotics! Please continue to post updates and pics! I thoroughly enjoy them!!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are beautiful!!! Thank you for posting so much information about your cats and for all the amazing pictures!

ashleyjade

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a few questions too, if thats ok
I have never even heard of someone owning these kind of animals except in extreme cases where they are neglected, like on animal cops etc (it's obvious that yours aren't). I was wondering what you do when you do have to take them to the vet or somewhere else that they don't want to go? I know you said that the cougar was declawed, but do you have to muzzle him as well to make sure that he doesn't bite? What kind of vet do you take him to? I imagine you can't take him to the regular vet that i'd take my domestics to, or do you? Sorry if you questions sound silly.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

Love the new pics John!
Everyone is gorgeous!!

My how Carmelo has grown...I can't really tell but in that one pic he looks like he is as big as Boris now.
Hehe, I love the pic of Amber with her toy
Well, he is now bigger than Boris, but about the same size as Nakoma. Nakoma is a big boy

John, it's plain to see those babies are very loved. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
Your Welcome
Yes, they are loved and spoiled

I have a few questions too, if thats ok I have never even heard of someone owning these kind of animals except in extreme cases where they are neglected, like on animal cops etc (it's obvious that yours aren't). I was wondering what you do when you do have to take them to the vet or somewhere else that they don't want to go? I know you said that the cougar was declawed, but do you have to muzzle him as well to make sure that he doesn't bite? What kind of vet do you take him to? I imagine you can't take him to the regular vet that i'd take my domestics to, or do you? Sorry if you questions sound silly.
No, your questions are not silly. I welcome all questions and I am more than willing to answer. As for people owning exotic cats, there are more than you realize, but unfortunately, the only time you hear of anyone living with them is when the media discovers those extreme neglect cases. You very rarely, if ever, will hear the media do a "good" story about people living with exotics. The majority of exotic animal owners are very responsible in what they do. But, as the old saying goes, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. When the media covers a bad story of exotic animal neglect or abuse, it makes us all look bad. As you can see, my wife and I take great pride in the care we give our babies. All of them, not just the exotics. As for the vet, ours does handle exotics as well. That is part of the responsibility in owing these cats. Finding a vet that will work with them. As the cougar grows, I will not be able to just walk him into the vet's office. The vet will have to come out to our location or I can bring him in when no one else is there. But for the best care, it is best for the vet to come out to our home where the cougar feels safe. I do not have a muzzle, but if he is not willing to let the vet work on him, we have a couple options. One would be to sedate him, but I do not like that idea. The other is to put him in a cage called a squeeze cage. This is a cage with moveable walls that allow the cat to walk inside, the walls are then moved inward to prevent the cat from turning around. There are holes large enough for the vet to contact the cat, but he would not be able to turn his head and bite. Medication can be administered this way as well. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. No question is silly.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh they are just Beautiful, You must have your hands full, I'm nosey so can I ask do they mind well? And how big are they weight wise? And do some of them stay indoors ? Thanks

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh my gosh they are just Beautiful, You must have your hands full, I'm nosey so can I ask do they mind well? And how big are they weight wise? And do some of them stay indoors ? Thanks
Hands full, yes in more ways than one
They all behave quite well, however Amber has more of an attitude than the Boris and Nakoma. Carmelo cougar is very loving. However, you know how ALL cats get the crazies? Well, imagine what it is like when bobcats and a cougar cub get the crazies. It sounds like there are horses running in the house
As for their weight, Amber weighs about 28 pounds, Boris around 35-40 pounds and Nakoma about 50-60 pounds. Carmelo weighs close to 50 pounds now, but will weigh anywhere from 140-180+ pounds when fully mature. Amber and Boris live indoors, but Nakoma lives outside in a secure enclosure. Nakoma is a rescue and never lived inside a home. Carmelo lives inside for now and will live inside with us for almost 2 years. After that time, he will need to move outdoors into a secure enclsoure as well. All of them get to enjoy time outside however, in an enclosure. At no time can they every be allowed to roam free. They all get along very well with our domestics too

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is amazing I must say, I said with 8 cats it sounds like a herd of buffalo. Mainly when they are romping upstairs. And I wouldn't be able to play with them big babies at all
I bruise like you can't beleive and bleed if you look at me wrong, my hubby says my skin is like tissue paper.My Cammie bit me about a year ago right above my wrist and I wound up in urgant care 2 days later
Thanks so much for posting those beauties and for being so kind to answer questions I'm sure you have answered a thousand times. Hug them babies for me I've had every kind of animal there is except any of those, always wanted a baby tiger
to bad they can't stay kinda small, Thanks again