Our Dryer Bit The Dust

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to call the repair-weenie on Tuesday morning to see if he can come in and take a look at it. It's not the belt, but something "bit" and we got nothing. It happened yesterday morning when I washed some pillowcases; it started fine, then came to a screeching halt. In its defense, that dryer is probably about twenty years old and has dried a ton of loads of laundry. Rick has replaced the belt a couple times now. Hopefully, this won't cost a small fortune; although, just for a repair-weenie to step foot in the house will cost us around $75.

So while I can't do a ton of laundry (actually I could and just dry it at my sister's house), I am going to wash my work clothing and then just hang the articles of clothing on hangers and put them on the shower rod. It's just a few tops and a couple pairs of pants; I'll probably have to iron them (I hate ironing!). Towels and sheets, sweat pants and such will have to wait until later. The repair-weenie is pretty good about getting here when I need him, so I'm not too worried.

Meanwhile Lowes is having their standard holiday appliance sale, so if we have to, we know where to go. And that dryer is our oldest appliance; if we have to replace it, our oldest appliance will then be the kitchen stove (bought in 2006) and we just had the stove repaired not that long ago.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Mercy! Everything is falling apart, isn't it? Did you check see if anything was binding the drum? Is there a circuit breaker on the dryer that you might need to reset?

Are you allowed to have an outdoor clothesline there? We're not, even though it wouldn't be visible from the street. So we hang things in the garage. They don't get that wonderful sunshine smell, though.

Ironing is against my beliefs. If it has to be ironed I don't buy it. Period. No matter how good it looks. Nope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Right around the time I was PMing with you yesterday morning, remember I was going to take those pillowcases to the dryer? Well, Rick beat me to it and just around the time I sent the PM, he came back upstairs to tell me about the dryer. He looked at it after the PennState game, checked the circuit breaker, all that stuff. He said, something smelled "hot" so he actually kicked the breaker off until we can find out what's going on.

I have clothes poles outside, but no lines anymore; the lines grew into our row of blue spruce trees up at the end of the yard, so we can't use them where they're at now. We've talked about re-locating the poles and hanging new lines; I'd definitely use them; I love hanging clothes outside. And we have no garage. We have clothesline in the basement, but that's a last resort, even with the dehumidifier down there.

I hate ironing, but if I have to iron on a temporary basis, I can do it. The beauty of dryers is that they take out a lot of wrinkles.....hmmm, maybe I should stick myself in there and see if it would take wrinkles out of me! :lol:

If push comes to shove, I can take stuff to my sister.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call the repair-weenie on Tuesday morning to see if he can come in and take a look at it.

Hopefully, this won't cost a small fortune; although, just for a repair-weenie to step foot in the house will cost us around $75.
Winchester Winchester - This made me laugh, and made me curious at the same time. What is it about this particular skilled Tradesman which qualifies him for the sobriquet, "weenie?"

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are having some good sales on dryers lately. We need a new washer and dryer. It would probably be cheaper just to get a new one than hire somebody to fix it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester - This made me laugh, and made me curious at the same time. What is it about this particular skilled Tradesman which qualifies him for the sobriquet, "weenie?"
:lol: Everybody's a weenie and I'm truly sorry if I've offended anybody. I call the local weather people weather-weenies, our repair people are repair-weenies, and so on. It's just something I've always done.

One time, our electrician was here working in the kitchen. We found something that our contractor missed and I told Rick that I'd call the contractor-weenie. Our electrician looked at me and asked, "So am I the electrical-weenie?" He could see by my very red face that, yes, yes, he was. Thankfully he really does have a great sense of humor and when I told him that I even call myself and my co-workers "planning-weenies," he laughed. He's the guy who painted Clarence and he did say that he was now my "painting-weenie". To be honest, I think that he thinks that I should have been a blonde (and no offense whatsoever to the blondes on the board!).

So we have a lot of weenies. It's really not meant to be derogatory in any way. I guess maybe I should stop saying it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have a lot of weenies. It's really not meant to be derogatory in any way. I guess maybe I should stop saying it.
That reminds me of an episode of Newhart. Bob Newhart called someone a weenie on his show and he became very popular around town. Everyone wanted him to call them "'weenie". That was a great TV show.

Muffy

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol: Everybody's a weenie and I'm truly sorry if I've offended anybody. I call the local weather people weather-weenies, our repair people are repair-weenies, and so on. It's just something I've always done.

One time, our electrician was here working in the kitchen. We found something that our contractor missed and I told Rick that I'd call the contractor-weenie. Our electrician looked at me and asked, "So am I the electrical-weenie?" He could see by my very red face that, yes, yes, he was. Thankfully he really does have a great sense of humor and when I told him that I even call myself and my co-workers "planning-weenies," he laughed. He's the guy who painted Clarence and he did say that he was now my "painting-weenie". To be honest, I think that he thinks that I should have been a blonde (and no offense whatsoever to the blondes on the board!).

I don't think anyone thought that you meant it in a derogatory way. I took it as a bit of silliness. I refer the mailman as "Mail fish" and that's because of Spongebob Squarepants. Yes. I am a 47 year old woman who loves Spongebob.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That reminds me of an episode of Newhart. Bob Newhart called someone a weenie on his show and he became very popular around town. Everyone wanted him to call them "'weenie". That was a great TV show. Muffy
I love Bob Newhart! I enjoyed both The Bob Newhart Show with Suzanne Pleshette and Newhart, set in Vermont. I always loved his very dry sense of humor.

I don't think anyone thought that you meant it in a derogatory way. I took it as a bit of silliness. I refer the mailman as "Mail fish" and that's because of Spongebob Squarepants. Yes. I am a 47 year old woman who loves Spongebob.

I really didn't. I've been calling people weenies for a long time. Maybe I actually got it from Bob Newhart and didn't realize it!

Winchester Winchester Have you looked at the Speed Queen to match your washer?
I tried. The store where we bought our Speed Queen washer does not sell the dryer. And that was the only store right around our area that sold Speed Queen. Believe me, you will pry that SQ washer out of my cold, dead hands; it was the best appliance purchase we've ever made. I am so happy with that washer.

If we could find a SQ dryer around here, I'd buy it. I honestly think that would be the last washer and dryer we'd ever need for the rest of our lives, that's how well they're made.

ETA: I am wrong. I swear when I looked at the website over the weekend, I did not see the SQ dryer. I am wrong. They're there. Just a little under $1,000 with a rebate. I'll wait and see what the repair-guy says; if we have to buy a new dryer, I'll probably go with SQ.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a person would ever go wrong by buying a Speed Queen. My washer is the best appliance I have ever owned. I feel the same way as you, Winchester Winchester . Someone would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It is the motor. I cannot complain as the dryer is at least 20 years old (that doesn't mean I won't! Darn dryer anyway).

I love our repair guy; he's just the sweetest man. He called me this morning and asked, "Can you meet me at your house in about 20 minutes?" And I said, "Done!". Went back, took some vacation time and til I got to the house, he was there.

It cost me $94, but that will settle it for Dear Richard once and for all. They do not bill; they expect the money right away.

Done in an hour. I'm back to work and told our admin asst to consider it an early lunch break; I was able to cancel my vac time. (And Rick is paying me back the $94!)

Guess we'll be looking at dryers.....tonight, if I can help it.

BTW, blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 his store is thinking of starting to sell Speed Queen. They have only ever sold the GE brand. But they've heard so much about the SQ line and every single person he's ever talked to just loves theirs. He said that when his sister's washer went out a couple months ago, he told her, "Don't buy a GE! Buy a SQ!" :lol:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We bought a Maytag. Rick didn't want to shell out $1,000 on a dryer, even though I was willing to split the cost in half with him. We just went to Lowes. I looked everything over and ultimately decided on this.....it has no electronic anything. The sales clerk was a little surprised; she said most people want bells and whistles. I said that electronics just cause more problems.

And I also told Rick that I was not paying half the cost of a Maytag. And the very first time something happens to it, I will not be amused.

It's being delivered on Saturday. At first she said that the earliest it could be delivered would be September 20. I looked at her and said, "No, no, no, please no. It really had to be delivered yesterday!" She started laughing, did some checking around and asked, "Would Saturday be OK?" And I said, "Bless you."

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my washer and dryer bit it a couple of years ago. I don't have the money to spend on a new one. Went down to the local Rent-A-Center and purchased both for around $100. No, they aren't new, but they have been completely serviced . They have to be or people can't rent them.
They have lasted a couple of years so far, so I guess I got my $100 out of them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester You got the next best thing. We had a Maytag washer that lasted 22 years. So, fingers crossed, I am hoping it will serve you at least as good as my washer did.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought a Maytag dish washer once and had to keep calling the repair man. He told me that Maytag is not as good as they once were. He said that they use cheap parts. I brought Sears dish washer 5 years ago and I have never had a problem.

I need a new fridge and oven and they are going to be a Sears.

Muffy

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We're good, thanks Mother Dragon Mother Dragon . I did check CR. It rates fairly well, not top of the line, but I think it will be OK.

muffy muffy we no longer have a Sears anywhere close to us. The closest Sears is now over 60 miles away.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester You got the next best thing. We had a Maytag washer that lasted 22 years. So, fingers crossed, I am hoping it will serve you at least as good as my washer did.
My Maytag washer and dryer are 15 years old and going strong. I'm not at home so they can't hear me type this so they can break down just to spite me. :lol:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
sorry I just saw this=so sorry this is happening! Wish I was closer so I can help you figure it out. I hope it's fixable. I much prefer those older dryers to the newer ones. I also found out the trap outside was totally plugged up. Which makes me furious. Why don't they put a motor strong enough to blow the lint OUT instead of soso?!!