Orphan 3 week old kitten who now has pneumonia, can you tell me if I am doing everything right?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just found a product i wanted to tell you about. Its a vitamin powder pack my boyfriends aunt gave us. She uses it for her kitten rescues. Its FortiFlora. Made by Purina. We mix it in with wet food. Each pouch is a single serving. My adult cats don't like it but all 3 kittens don't really mind it. :) so you can look into that.

Forti Flora isn't vitamins, it is a probiotic. It's not the best, animal digest being the first ingredient, but can be useful for diarrhea or diet transitioning. :)

Glad little Kali is doing so well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone just wanted to tell you that Kali is doing fantastic. She is so strong and smart and energetic! I can barely keep up with her. She loves her wet food and is having proper bowel movements like she should. :)

Just one question though, it seems she doesn't want to sleep at night. She sleeps for two hour increments and then wakes up and meows at me until I wake up and feed her or play with her but during the day she sleeps alot!! What do I do?

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep her up during the day playing and eatting and let her fall asleep at night when you are about ready for bed and btw that is normal for kittens they will get used to the schedual

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are naturally nocturnal, meaning they are more active at night. As mentioned give her lots of play and food sessions for the day, and one big one right before you go to bed. Hopefully it will tire her out enough and allow you to get some decent sleep!

Right before bed I always do a super active play session and follow it up with a super yummy treat. Then, I climb in bed with my cat(s) and give them lots of pets and affection. Once you get into this routine they learn that this routine is in preparation for a full night of sleeping. 

The worst thing you can do is give in to her demands. You are just reinforcing that if she cries enough she gets what she wants. If you have to, silently pick her up, carry her out of the room, and close the door. She will scream her head off but she will learn that nighttime=sleep and her needs will be met in the morning. And, that if she cries she has to spend the night alone and not with her people. Get some earplugs and tough out her wails until she figures it out. Otherwise, you have a long life together ahead of you! 

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
10 week update!

Kali is doing fantastic. She's so cheeky and smart! She's lapping up water and eats like mad! She keeps trying to eat Lola's food. It's very frustrating but she's beautiful. She's really playful but every morning she plays for a little while and then climbs onto my bed to cuddle me and she'll sleep next to me for a good 3 hours. She makes me and my boyfriend laugh so hard, we love her so much. She's a gift to our little family <3

pbmaltzman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, it is interesting to see all the discussion.  If she can lap up formula or food, you could try goats' milk in a saucer.  It's nicknamed the "Type O"' of milks because the young of many species can thrive on it.  I've given it to cats with no problems before. You could also put it in a little feeding bottle or even in an eye dropper.  I'm glad to see she's a fighter and is keeping on.  Please keep us updated.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, it is interesting to see all the discussion.  If she can lap up formula or food, you could try goats' milk in a saucer.  It's nicknamed the "Type O"' of milks because the young of many species can thrive on it.  I've given it to cats with no problems before. You could also put it in a little feeding bottle or even in an eye dropper.  I'm glad to see she's a fighter and is keeping on.  Please keep us updated.
I think the OP is past this stage I just had to comment that I love the nickname of "Type O" milk for Goat's Milk! It's the perfect way to describe it and I will for sure be using that expression in the future! 

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(Warning: Picture spam)

Hi everyone, 

Well Kali's about 14/15 weeks now. She is amazing. She can run really well, she jumps and climbs and plays all day. She gets into EVERYTHING. She's always ripping something up or attacking something but at night time she crawls under my chin and goes to sleep. She LOVES her food and we have finally introduced her to our other dog Bonnie (she's a big old Labradoodle). It wen't really well. She's still so little and fast that she can hide or outrun the dogs, especially the old gal.  I'm so glad that I didn't give up on her and allow the vet to put her down. FOLLOW YOUR GUT! Just because their a vet doesn't mean they're god so either get a second opinion or give the little guys a chance to prove they are strong. My little girl did and I couldn't be more proud.

I want to say thank you to everyone who followed and offered advice and blessings towards Kali. 

Now here are some piccy's:

It's hard to believe she went from this little fragile pile of fluff:

To this little CAT. A real live actual cat.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I'm so glad that I didn't give up on her and allow the vet to put her down. FOLLOW YOUR GUT! Just because their a vet doesn't mean they're god so either get a second opinion or give the little guys a chance to prove they are strong. My little girl did and I couldn't be more proud.
Thanks so much for this update. It is hard to believe she went from such a sick little thing to a happy, healthy teenager! I think this point you made is a very important one too. There are of course circumstances where euthanasia is best but many vet's oftentimes jump the gun with such young kittens. I personally think it's because many do not know how to treat them. Sometimes all they need is some time and someone to love them for them to get the strength to keep going. So, good for you for listening to your gut and giving her the chance she needed.

And, pat yourself on the back for everything that you did because she certainly would not be here without your guiding hand. Make sure you complete her care by getting her the appropriate vaccinations and having her spayed if you haven't done so already so that she can have a long and happy life with you!

So glad to see this story have such a happy ending! 

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kali Update! 

I think she's about 4/5 months old now. She's doing fantastic. She's got a persistent blocked nose that always whistles but apart from that she loves the dogs and eats so well. She loves to just find somewhere interesting to hide herself and chill for a couple of hours! I found her in the linen closet after hurridly looking around the house :p

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks older than 4/5 months but thats just what i think

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful!    

You can be very proud  that you saved her.     

I love the pics from this post and from July.    and  WOW she sure has grown!

It's time to make arrangements to get her spayed soon if you haven't already.   Kittens can start puberty at 4 months,  and often the humans don't even notice the first heats because   the signs can be more subtle than in a more mature queen.   That's how they end up getting out and get pregnant way too young.    Here is a link about low cost desexing in Australia in case it might be useful to you.  http://www.ndn.org.au/apply-for-low-cost-desexing.html

I wonder if her stuffy nose is because she has feline herpes ?  If so,  adding some L-Lysine to her food might help.  

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

She is beautiful!    

You can be very proud  that you saved her.     

I love the pics from this post and from July.    and  WOW she sure has grown!

It's time to make arrangements to get her spayed soon if you haven't already.   Kittens can start puberty at 4 months,  and often the humans don't even notice the first heats because   the signs can be more subtle than in a more mature queen.   That's how they end up getting out and get pregnant way too young.    Here is a link about low cost desexing in Australia in case it might be useful to you.  http://www.ndn.org.au/apply-for-low-cost-desexing.html

I wonder if her stuffy nose is because she has feline herpes ?  If so,  adding some L-Lysine to her food might help.  
I know she is, :3 She's my princess. She eats 3 times a day so she's growing quickly! And thank you for your link, I have looked into that because I want to get my dog spayed too. 

She's a stuffy nose since she had pneumonia so it hasn't really worried me. It's like she has a deviated septum or something. She can breathe fine and runs around there is no issue. She doesn't have watery eyes or any of the other symptoms. I think it's just because she had pneumonia at such an early age. She's had it for as long as I can remember, it didn't really just start, it's always been there and it doesn't get worse or better it's just the way she is. She's special. Haha

If she does develop any of the other symptoms I will consult a vet. :)

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Well, Kali is no longer a little kitten. She is an amazingly sweet cat. Shes about 9/10 months old now. A little midget haha but so beautiful. She's got a cute chubby belly and bosses our dog around. She wrestles with the dog as well it's very funny. She's got quite a crush on my boyfriends brother since moving into his house. Every time he comes to the granny flat, she follows him around the room, rubbing up against his legs and aggressively head bopping him and gives him nibbles. It's very sweet. And my dressing gown that I was wearing all the time when she was a baby, she finds it if its on the bed or the couch, put some it her mouth and knead it and purrs like a motor.

My nephew cuddling Kali just like I showed him. He's so proud that he can hold her right. He calls himself Kali's daddy and I'm her mummy. It's very sweet.

Kali may be the boss but they are soul sisters. Lola loves her more than anything. She protects her from the other dog (who's harmless, Kali actually loves him too).

I'm so proud of her. I'm such a cat lady now. Haha my boyfriend is worried we're going to end up with a house full of orphaned kittens. (That's my dream!)

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hiya Hun, so lovely to see the latest piccys of Kali, she looks fantastic. Don't they grow so quickly? My babies are babies no more, in fact all of them except for Harley are either bigger or the same size as Mommy Ginny. Harley is still a petite little girl.
Here she is between 2 of her brothers.
Have you been back to see the vet that told you to have her put to sleep, I bet they are surprised to see what a wonderful job you have done raising her.
Well done xxx