Organized newborn rearing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you still rotating in 2 shifts?

They sound perfectly fine, and ALL of their weights are at or above where they need to be for 3 weeks old. Your little one who gained zero and is at 369 grams is already 13 ounces. They only need to weigh 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces at 4 weeks.

In fact, number A, who gained 12 grams to bring him or her up to 351 grams and is the smallest by weight, is at 12 ounces as well. Your biggest, number D at 411, is already over 14 ounces.

So, it seems everyone is fine and will likely gain as needed and as they get their individual growth spurts. I see nothing to worry about today.

Have they begun to cut their baby teeth yet? They should be in by around 4 weeks, at which time you can begin to offer a mush of kitten pate mixed with kitten formula to make it soupy, and offer it on a flat plate. Some may be interested; others not for a couple more weeks. The other thing that may be happening besides a small but temporary weight plateau, is the cutting of these milk teeth can cause some discomfort and put the kittens off a bit. This is normal.

All sounds well and let’s see what the next couple of days brings.

Also, how is mom? Is she eating well to keep her milk supply up?

C Chiltonsdad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chiltonsdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks that's relief to see.
Yep, rotations are still happening during they day. Do cats teeth? They're starting to gnaw on each other and themselves. Mom is well, and ravenous! She moves the kittens around sometimes, but she trusts us and is in generally a calm and happy mood.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, kittens — like human babies — teethe, and it can be uncomfortable. Check their mouths to see if baby teeth are coming in.

Do the kittens have play mice and balls to play with? They will start tussling with each other. It’s cute to watch.

Chiltonsdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Weights are going well, and their one month is coming up this weekend!!this afternoon one of the cats eyes started to crust up. There isn’t any discharge and it looks dry. Their behavior and eating is normal. What should I do?

Chiltonsdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I could get a clean cloth and warm water, they’re eye re-opened and is back to normal. Thoughts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, just keep all their eyes clean and clear with a warm damp wash cloth. If you see any pus that dors not go away, ask the vet for Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment. It usually clears any infection quickly, though this just sounded like a crusty eye from dried tears.

Chiltonsdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
🚨🚨my 1.5lb kitten had a lick of chocolate cake batter on my shoe🚨🚨 what should I do?

Chiltonsdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. They are behaving fine. My vet got back to me and said they’ll probably be okay. Maybe a sugar rush and crash but that’s it. I’ll keep my eye on them