Oral cancer and emotional rollercoaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the time is coming close to when I shall have to let Callym pass on peacefully.

His anemia has improved and is no longer the issue, but the tumor has grown and is looking more sore, and he is now very tired and finding it difficult to eat. His kidneys of course are failing him too these past weeks. Things have gone downhill since I posted those happy photos taken just a few days ago. Callym has shown an incredible will to live these past two months, and has such inner strength.

I am now arranging for an at-home euthanasia, which depending on things may happen either Wednesday or on Thursday. Of course, one always wishes for a rally, so as to get one more precious day, but this time I am not sure it can happen.

I wish there was something someone can say to make me feel better, as my grief is almost unbearable. I do not know how I will get through these next few days.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will be thinking of you. The time has come to end his pain and begin yours. There are many people here who will help you through this most difficult time.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've both been on my mind all day at work this morning, so just letting you know that were still here for you on this sad day, and hope that Callym has a fast and safe journey across the bridge

sari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Enjoy your baby as much as you can in these last few hours. This time will mean so much to you later. My thoughts are with you and Callym...just remember, you will be together again someday...merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you now, Im sorry you had to do this, as sad as it is to say, you have let him be at peace now. That is a very unselfish but needed thing to do. I am so sorry.

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sending my prayers to both of you. Callym is a most handsome cat. I lost my dear Butterscotch to oral cancer and I know how you are feeling, what you are going through. I am in tears as I write this.
It is so difficult. Please know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers...

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Callym has rallied again!

I woke up and Callym was all perky and like his usual self that he has mainly been the past few weeks. He was asking to go outside, purring and suntanning, wandering and examining the garden. A sudden and complete turnabout. I called the at-home vet that I had booked for the euthanasia and asked if he could examine Callym on his visit as I needed to know what was going on. It would have felt wrong to put Callym to sleep today - it was very clear that he wanted to live today (very unlike the previous few days). The vet was in total agreement after the examination (also being a home examination he really gets a good feel for the cat's behaviour and quality of life etc.). Callym's anemia is gone (his hemocrit is normal now), and his kidneys are stable (even if failing) but we do have to manage the pain from the tumor so we have upped the main meds. The vet said this is just day-by-day. But still...this was very unexpected...every day with Callym is precious.

I feel so relieved and sort of strange tonight...

I hope this was not just a one day thing. Every time during this that I was getting ready to let Callym pass, he rallies. It almost like he knows.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am so glad he has rallied round for you, and tht the pain meds work well to give him some more quality time with you.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you are taking care of Callym, but I just want to throw this out there, since you said his vet upped his pain meds, you do know cats will purr when they are in pain? Purring is not just when they are happy. Does the vet think hes in pain to have upped his meds or is this just a precaution?

Sending lots of vibes that way

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I know you are taking care of Callym, but I just want to throw this out there, since you said his vet upped his pain meds, you do know cats will purr when they are in pain? Purring is not just when they are happy. Does the vet think hes in pain to have upped his meds or is this just a precaution?

Sending lots of vibes that way
The pain meds are more a precaution. He has oral cancer, there must be pain, he's had the cancer a while - so let's increase the pain meds just to be sure. He is not pain purring - he is purring when mummy goes up to cuddle him (not just purring sitting on his own) - his entire life he purrs the second I touch him, and happily he is still doing this. He actually seems really relaxed and laid back in a good way today. The thing is, he had anemia all along, and now he does not, so maybe this makes him feel better.

Thanks for the vibes.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Callym passed on peacefully today by an at-home euthanasia. His last moments were in his own happy home in his living room, hugging and being hugged by both me and his kitty sister Rexy who was cuddled right into him during his final moments.

My heart is broken and I am deeply saddened and grieving, but I am taking comfort that this was done at exactly the right time and in his own happy home surrounded and being hugged by his family.

I love you Callym with all my heart and soul.

------------------------------------------------------

When I am up to it, I will most likely post a Rainbow tribute thread, but I cannot do this just yet.

Thank you for all of the support given to me on this thread during this time.

I believe that this thread will now be shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.