Oral cancer and emotional rollercoaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crap. After Callym eating superbly today and doing reasonably well, he is having a bad evening. He just seems very sleepy and weak and something is bothering him (probably the pain has acted up). I was so hoping we could get a comfortable weekend. How sad that he seemed to have a flareup tonight after he was given the "stable" verdict at the vets today. Worried sick now and crying again - really hoping he can sleep it off tonight and be more comfortable tomorrow.
The emotional rollercoaster is in full force tonight - from being hopeful we could have a comfortable weekend, to now wondering if we will get through the weekend.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet who has treated Callym for all the years I had Callym is not on again until Monday. I really hope we can at least make it through comfortably to Monday - the associate vet is in (who I don't really know) on Saturday, and on Sunday I'd have to take him to emergency. After all Callym and I have been through over the years with my vet (who is top notch), it would be a comfort to me to have my own vet there with me when I let Callym go. I will let Callym go before that if I have to, but I really do hope we can make it through until at least Monday (if not longer).

I do feel as if Callym is starting to fade away. I am so sad and crying as I know our time together won't likely last much longer unless something changes.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Better in mood, thanks for asking. Given how poorly he was yesterday it is a relief that he overall is more comfortable and engaged with his surroundings today. I may still have to let him go early next week
but at least this weekend is not turning into a nightmare.

But I think I know what has changed. The tumour seems to have either gotten inflamed or grown in such a way that opening his mouth to eat seems to physically be a bother now, as he is not really eating much and moving his mouth around to almost try and adjust it. He takes assisted feeding well, and seemed happy when I gave him a bit of syringe feeding (that way other than opening his mouth a bit for the syringe, whatever bothers him about eating himself, seems not to bother him and he swallows the food happily). Not that I'd keep syringe feeding indefinitely, but if he likes it and it allows him to have some food in his belly and feel better over the weekend then I will help him out.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Geez, I thought Callym was fading as he had two marginal days, and I was ready to let him go if it continued another day. And then Callym has surprised the vet and me yet again and has rallied one more time and is eating rather well again on his own (this cat is hyperthyroid, with some kidney issues and now cancer, and yet he keeps enjoying life - the vet is amazed at his will to live). I took Callym into the vet, and he agreed that Callym is stable and still wants to be here. Callym had a lovely day as the pictures below show.
The vet and I realize that this could change any moment, but I have been blessed with at least a wee bit more time with my kitty.
Pictures below are from today.

Callym snoozing in my cat stroller in the living room with his sister Rexy.

Rexy "protecting" Callym as he snoozes in his tent.

Callym is normally an indoor cat, but since he's been ill I take him out to the garden for loads of supervised visits which really makes his day. Here he is having a drink!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is proving the vets wrong and getting lots of quality time.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Aww bless him, he does look peaceful
that Callym stays like that for a long time yet
Thanks. His epogen shots for his anemia are at the point that they may start to have some effect soon (he's been getting them for 1 1/2 weeks) so fingers crossed it starts to give him a bit of extra energy boost. And then we just hope that the tumour stabilizes a bit and maybe I might get a week or two if I am lucky.

Even though he is lower energy etc and can't be feeling 100%, he is indeed still happy to be around and thankfully he sleeps very peacefully etc. - no hunching and staring like cats who are feeling very poorly. He slept on my pillow peacefully and purring all night. I'd say he has a quiet, calm loving life now.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps you will be helped out by this article although it sounds to me like your cat has remarkable regeration properties. he will tell you when it is time as they simply become flat when they no longer wish to continue the brave battle before them.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/127/W...y-Goodbye.html

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness, what a little fighter he is. You are doing a wonderful job of making him comfortable and giving him quality of life. He'll let you know when it's time.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update

Callym is still holding his own.
His mouth tumour seems to have stabilized and is not bothering him too much. I would say now that Callym has a quiet, loving, secure day-to-day life. He is not jumping around like a playful kitten, but being a senior when I adopted him, he always slept a lot anyhow! But he seems content, sleeps peacefully, is eating well considering his various issues and when he is up and about in between his naps, he seems quietly happy - using the scratching pole, exploring the garden etc.

In a few days we will do a blood panel to see how the anemia is doing - he has had 6 epogen shots now, so we may see improvement.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Callym's anemia values are terrible - the epogen did not help. They are so low, that we are at the point the vet thinks we are losing the battle and we should probably let him go on Thursday (his next appointment) before he begins to suffer. His kidney values have also gotten worse - between the cancer and kidneys, his bone marrow just cannot produce enough red blood cells. As far as clinical symptoms go, Callym is doing rather well given these crappy values. He is eating, seems reasonably comfortable and can still walk and jump around like normal.

I feel sick with grief and despair, and I have no idea how I am going to get through the next few days and all the deep sadness that is ahead of me now.

I just wish there was something someone could say to help, as it just hurts so deeply.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry - you have my prayers. Try to keep telling yourself that you have loved Callym, and are loving him still, so much that you're going through such a painful time to spare him pain.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scarlett 001

I have no idea how I am going to get through the next few days and all the deep sadness that is ahead of me now.
You won't have to go through this alone, because we'll all be here to lean on

I really wish there was a magic pill that could make all animals well again and never ever get sick again

Status
Not open for further replies.