options other than declawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Terribly sorry if this "irks" you. But I stand by that statement, and many on this board who are extensively trained with cats and other animals feel the same way.
Are you kidding me?! You arent sorry it irks me, that was pretty sarcastic for one. Two, basically, you're saying that people that declaw cats are terrible pet owners and should never own cats. That is one judgmental statement to say. You do NOT know my mother and you have no right to say something like that. My mom loves her cat more than anything, MORE THAN HER FURNITURE. My mom always thinks of her cat first, not her material possessions. She has never encountered a cat who has had problems with declawing.

To say that a person who declaws a cat should never own one, is just wrong. How many more cats would be in shelters right now if that were true? Probably a lot. People already talk about the overcrowding in shelters and euthanizing animals, just think of how many more cats would be in shelters and being euthanized if anyone who would declaw a cat couldnt own one. There would probably be a lot. I would rather have a cat loved and cared for and declawed, then to have it put to sleep.

But you know what, that's just my opinion, just like its yours. But dont be so judgmental when saying that people who declaw cats arent good cat owners, because you do not know that. You're just going on your own opinion and what you feel.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I just wanted to say, that I've avoided every other thread about declawing previously because I didn't want to get into it with thickheaded individuals...I think I need to avoid these again in the future. Some people will stubbornly stand by their "opinion" , despite how ignorant that opinion may be.

I thought we werent supposed to be bashing people on here. Thickheaded individuals?! It's called standing up for my own opinion and not backing down. I've never been one to back down on something that I have an opinion on. And how come you put opinion in quotations? That is my opinion on thinking that declawing is right, and I dont think anything wrong of it. I didnt bash you on your opinion of thinking its wrong, I simply stated why i think its okay. Also, to call my opinion ignorant is rude. I didnt resort to bashing you, or anyone else with your opinion, please dont do it to me (or anyone else who feels the same way I do)

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Millions of people in "civilized" countries DO disagree with it. All of Europe (ya know, England, France, etc), Australia and in many others amputation of a cat's toes is illegal and considered inhumane. Are you saying those millions of people are wrong? How can only North American people be right in this? Perhaps, as DaniMarie said, they are just more selfish and materialisitic.

If those who willingly and knowingly amputate feel they themselves would be okay with having fingertips and toetips amputated, I encourage them to have the procedure and let us know how it goes.

beemo, I did not want this to get personal. I did notice in all your posts that your furniture and precious "things" are at least as valuable to you as your cats. Money often comes up in your posts. If you would just admit this and stop trying to defend this action, it would make a lot more sense. I dare say your pets are just more possessions that look pretty with your antiques.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beemo

but its ok to take out a uterus? no matter what the cause, people say whats to be taken from an animal. we alter them for our own preference and convenience, and yes spaying is for our own convenience so we dont have to deal with all the unwanted pets. if you can spay you can declaw its as simple as that.

if it were truely an act of cruelty then it would be banned, no vet would do it, it would be illegal. theres not much money in it for the vets because declawing isnt very expensive, its a simple procedure with a quick recovery.

enough said about this on my part, theres way more people who agree with me in the real world than on the internet. the internet is known for crazed opinions
i never met a PETA member that wasnt a wacko...sorry
Spaying and Neutering is not for people convenience and you are truly ignorant if you believe that!

We spay and neuter so that there aren't millions of pets without food, homes, and care. We spay and neuter so the pet doesn't develop health problems due to the fact that it wasn't spayed or neutered. It has absolutely nothing to do with "humans not wanting kittens"... OH PUHHHLEEASE! That's absurd and you are truly proving how uneducated you are to even be stating that.

Furthermore, this has nothing to do with PETA, I'm not a peta member, nor have I ever been and this isn't the "internets crazed opinions". There are hundreds of people on this site who own cats, foster cats, volunteer for shelters, vet techs, even vets themselves. You can't come to a site with people that are well experienced with cats and spout off that they are "crazed internet people".

I think you need to find another board to post on because clearly you have no common sense and need to find those who share your "opinion" on this act of abuse.

I think 99% of people on this site would agree who the "wacko" is.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

I thought we werent supposed to be bashing people on here. Thickheaded individuals?! It's called standing up for my own opinion and not backing down. I've never been one to back down on something that I have an opinion on. And how come you put opinion in quotations? That is my opinion on thinking that declawing is right, and I dont think anything wrong of it. I didnt bash you on your opinion of thinking its wrong, I simply stated why i think its okay. Also, to call my opinion ignorant is rude. I didnt resort to bashing you, or anyone else with your opinion, please dont do it to me (or anyone else who feels the same way I do)
NO my dear, it is a FACT that declawing is for YOUR convenience only not considering the cats needs or wants. THAT is not an opinion.

Ignorance is the act of thinking one way that has been PROVEN wrong. It is equal to uneducation. Bashing would be me telling you some choice words for those that harbor their "opinion" on something that has been proven to be wrong.

It has been proven wrong time and time again that there is NO benefit to the cat...if anything, only causes problems.

You can't have an "opinion" on proven fact. You can have an opinion that despite all the drawbacks, you still want to put your cat through an unnecessary selfish procedure knowing all the reasons it's cruel, but you can't have an "opinion" on the FACT that declawing is CRUEL to the animal.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Are you kidding me?! You arent sorry it irks me, that was pretty sarcastic for one. Two, basically, you're saying that people that declaw cats are terrible pet owners and should never own cats. That is one judgmental statement to say. You do NOT know my mother and you have no right to say something like that. My mom loves her cat more than anything, MORE THAN HER FURNITURE. My mom always thinks of her cat first, not her material possessions. She has never encountered a cat who has had problems with declawing.

To say that a person who declaws a cat should never own one, is just wrong.
Judgemental would be saying something that isn't true and just based on opinion. The fact is, as much as your mother may love her cats, she still knowing the facts chose to declaw her cats, despite how cruel it is, and that means she MUST love her furniture more than she loves her cats.

Why else would she put her cats through an unnecessary procedure if that weren't the case?

Sorry, but that IS the case.

You can defend your mother until you turn blue, but it doesn't negate the facts of the situation. If she truly knew how bad declawing was and still did it, she wasn' t thinking of the cat's welfare, she was thinking of her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.