Optimistic about Nala Ava Marie having a companion?

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I showed Nala Ava Marie the new feral when she was eating. Just from the door of course. Nala is very skittish, growls and hisses easily but she just stared at the new, outdoor girl with an interested look! Is that a good sign? When she sees the dog, Chloe Lynn! Nala immediately perks her ears up, then lays them back flat and hisses, even if Chloe is 20 feet from the door. She was not stressed upon seeing this cat! I know this new cat needs veterinary care but I have to wait until I can get her to the clinic without fiancé knowing.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That's definitely a good sign. It's a little surprising, considering how feisty Nala Ava Marie is but you really never know with cats!  
 I hope it works out getting New Cat to the vet soon.  How is she doing today?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just came in the house! Accidentally! She ate Nala's food and Nala just stared at her, made slight growling noise, no hissing. Dale put new kitty back outside. Not in the good garage but out on the deck. It's not bitterly cold here anymore but it's windy. [emoji]128148[/emoji] I wanted to make her a little nest today but Dale wouldn't let me put Nala Ava Marie's old brown bed out for her. [emoji]128575[/emoji] It has a hole in it, Nala never uses it anymore. This poor feral is filthy dirty. I want to bathe her, and comb the fleas off of her but I wasn't about to get her wet just to have Dale force her outside. I'm still shocked Nala just still seemed so curious and interested in this new feline. I want to take her to this small town vet tomorrow. She needs basic care.
Dale thinks it's more cruel to bring her in the good garage, out of the elements and cruel to feed her nutritious foods bc " she's a survivor". And he doesn't want her to get used to being warm and having a full belly. This new girl will be loved and cared for!

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made Miss CLAWdia an omelet this morning. [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]127859[/emoji]

margd

Veteran
Purraise
What a perfect name for your new cat!   I bet she loved her omelet.  

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am taking CLAWdia to vet next week. She's such a good natured kitty girl. She did like her omelet! Just eggs, with a little milk. She was a happy girl. I am glad it's warmed up here. I petted her a lot tonight, with gloves on and then still washed my hands bc I can't take chances with Nala Ava Marie's health. I would love to be able to hold her and snuggle w her. She deserves it as much as Nala Ava Marie does.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
CLAWdia must be a stray since she's so friendly..  Have you checked to see if she's going to be a mama?  It's really wonderful you have taken this little girl to your heart.  She obviously really wants to be a part of your family!  

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to go feed Clawdia lunch in a few minutes. I don't think she's pregnant but I'm not sure. Could she have worms? Would that make her bloated? Could she have itchy skin? She loves to rub up against the posts on the deck and she loves to rub up on our legs. She liked when I had the gloves on when I rubbed her kind of vigorously? Why doesn't she groom herself? Poor Clawdia looks kind of ratty. Nala sure has gotten much more proficient at grooming herself! Her fur is dirty but it doesn't look mangy, just unclean. She's not missing any fur, it's not matted. It's just dirty. I hope she gets a clean bill of health when I get her into the vet. I have to do it secretly bc Dale said we are not spending any money on her. (He is not hurting for money, he's just cheap.) Dale had a few days off work so I had no way to sneak Clawdia to the local vet here. I will have an opportunity next week, likely on Wednesday so we can get this new kitty checked out! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clawdia is going to the small town vet tomorrow! They are going to draw blood to test her for diseases. The vet said it can take a couple of days to get the results back bc they send labs to a larger veterinary clinic. The vet said he will go ahead and vaccinate her even before we know the results of the tests bc even if she has a problem, I still intend to try to care for her the best I can outside. I just can't take risks w Nala Ava Marie's health. I am praying she is OK. She's really dirty. I want to give her a bath. [emoji]128568[/emoji] I'll wait until I can be sure she can be an indoor kitty and a friend to Nala Ava Marie!

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clawdia went to the vet today. She only weighs 6 lbs. she's actually about the same size as Nala Ava Marie. She was so scared but still managed to be a friendly girl.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you got her there.  Fingers crossed that all of her blood work comes back with good results.  
   At what point does Dale learn you guys have a new cat?  Clawdia seems to have already decided she's home! 

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to tell Dale about Clawdia soon. I'm going to get her a litter box tomorrow and put it in the heated garage. It's still cold here in Iowa. I'm sure he'll see Clawdia! I hope that her lab results come back OK. The vet said she seemed to be sniffling, I have not ever noticed that, so as a precaution he gave her an antibiotic shot. She received all of her vaccinations and dewormed. He put this antiseptic salve on her ears. He said he couldn't be sure if her ears were so red from frostbite, injury from other animals or her own scratching. He said he didn't see any evidence of ear mites but if she does have mites the salve will kill them as well as help soothe her ears. He said he didn't see any fleas on her but I might want to get a comb and look more closely. She has sharp claws. She's still so dirty. I don't know how to introduce her to Nala Ava Marie. Their brief meetings have been tense but not hostile. At first, they were so curious and I was so happy hoping they'd get along. The last interaction, Nala did not hiss or growl or anything like that but she like put her front paws up and stood on her back legs to make herself look bigger. Clawdia wanted to sniff Nala. Clawdia seemed interested. They didn't touch bc I'm still uncertain about Clawdia's health but they got probably 3-4 feet away from each other.
I will take care of her no matter what. I love both of them. Nala will always be my baby. I hope she doesn't get too jealous.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw Miss Clawdia out on the deck, brought her food and fresh water. She rubbed up against my legs and tried to follow me back in the house. [emoji]128575[/emoji] Poor baby. I hope all is good with her bc I want to introduce her more to Nala Ava Marie. Clawdia has such a good personality. She did tear the heck out of the temporary cardboard carrier I bought to transport her! The lady at vet used duct tape so it was still useable to get her home! She was just frightened. She cried in the car on the way there and back. Nala Ava Marie is so used to car rides so she actually enjoys the hour long drive from our country home to city apartment. She sleeps or plays with her toys in her carrier. Sometimes I hide a treat in there and she finds it! It's cool and windy here today, I'm going to put Dale's ugly, tattered work coat on and go sit on the deck and hold Clawdia for as long as she'll allow me to. Stray kitties need loves too and if she's healthy, this little girl is going to be just as spoiled as Nala Ava Marie! Oh good sign about Clawdia, I saw her grooming herself a little bit! She's always been to nervous to do so before. Would she still be too insecure to play with a toy? I was thinking of bringing one of Nala's many toys out on the deck for her to play with?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad Clawdia has you to watch out for her!  I wish every cat who comes knocking on a door looking for a home was met with such a warm welcome.  Giving her a toy to play with is a great idea.  It will also introduce her to Nala Ava Marie's scent.  Even if she is reluctant to play with it at first, she might warm up to it later.  Does Dale know yet that Clawdia has a name?  I'm following this thread with great interest to see what happens when Clawdia moves in!  Since Dale started feeding her in the first place, I'm hoping he'll warm up to her.  She sounds like a little doll.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dale knows Clawdia is out there on the deck, he knows I'm still feeding her, I keep hinting that I at least want her in the heated garage. I went out to hold her and play with her and he was watching me from the window so he knows I'm getting attached![emoji]128571[/emoji] I am going to bring a fishing pole toy out to her. Nala Ava Marie has tons of them. I am giving her cheap dry kitten food all the time and 2x a day bringing out wet food to her. She likes these Broths pouches. She's not crazy about the cheap food. Lol. I give her fresh water twice a day also. I have 2-3 kinds of brushes for Nala Ava Marie. I have a green soft bristle brush I'm donating to Clawdia. When Dale was watching me give Clawdia attention, Clawdia got sick of being held so she leaped quickly out of my arms. Dale said I threw her down! I absolutely did not! She jumped! He was teasing me but he's witnessing how much attention I'm giving Clawdia. [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clawdia is a great name, I am so happy that you are taking such good care of her. I hope she can move in with you soon 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dale knows Clawdia is out there on the deck, he knows I'm still feeding her, I keep hinting that I at least want her in the heated garage. I went out to hold her and play with her and he was watching me from the window so he knows I'm getting attached![emoji]128571[/emoji] I am going to bring a fishing pole toy out to her. Nala Ava Marie has tons of them. I am giving her cheap dry kitten food all the time and 2x a day bringing out wet food to her. She likes these Broths pouches. She's not crazy about the cheap food. Lol. I give her fresh water twice a day also. I have 2-3 kinds of brushes for Nala Ava Marie. I have a green soft bristle brush I'm donating to Clawdia. When Dale was watching me give Clawdia attention, Clawdia got sick of being held so she leaped quickly out of my arms. Dale said I threw her down! I absolutely did not! She jumped! He was teasing me but he's witnessing how much attention I'm giving Clawdia. [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️
You're such a sweetheart to care so much about Clawdia (love that name). No one thinks you threw her down. Once you get the all clear from her vet, you can move forward with the introduction process. This article is very informative

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat0121, Thank you! Just read article. I'm going to follow all of those recommendations. I hope Clawdia's test come back fine. She's so sweet. [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Nala Ava Marie is a feisty girl. Clawdia is mild mannered.
I wish I could get a good picture of Clawdia's eyes. She has small eyes! Most cats have big eyes. Nala Ava Marie as large, doe eyes! Dale says she has owl eyes![emoji]128571[/emoji] Clawdia's eyes are a beautiful, pale green. Nala has bright gold eyes.