Opinions, please? Is Flowerbelle having a mild asthma attack or a weird purr?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I wonder how I can tell Flowerbelle to stick her tongue out when she's "roaring"?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this is happening more frequently, and for longer periods of time. :(

We're going to have to go for a second opinion. We'll be seeing the vet that saved her life and that saved Tuxedo's life - the one we have do any surgery, when required. (This is the same vet that removed her eye. :heart2: ).

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get her to purr while at the vet..... but I've got more video to show him (along with her records from the local vet).

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry to hear the problem seems to be worse. Many, many vibes for pretty little Flowerbelle that whatever is causing it is not serious and is easily treatable.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that she's having problems again. Hopefully the vet can find the problem while listening with a stethoscope.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What it sounded like to me when I watched the video was fluid in the lungs. Grim has mild asthma, but luckily, his seems to be caused (or at least aggravated) by weight, so as he's lost, he gets episodes far and far less; not even once a month anymore.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Flowerbelle :heart3:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear.  Was hoping no news was good news

Well, if we didn't have our "kids" to worry about, what would we do to occupy our time

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry that she's having problems again. Hopefully the vet can find the problem while listening with a stethoscope.
Unfortunately, the incidents never stopped. And the first time around, nothing was found with a scope, let alone a stethoscope. :( It is a problem that is pharyngeal or laryngeal, not in her lungs. :sigh:

What it sounded like to me when I watched the video was fluid in the lungs. Grim has mild asthma, but luckily, his seems to be caused (or at least aggravated) by weight, so as he's lost, he gets episodes far and far less; not even once a month anymore.
She does have mild asthma as well, but this is some kind of problem in her throat somewhere. We were told not to worry about it after her endoscope - there's "no structural abnormalities.' But clearly there is a problem.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is fluid, and something hanging in her upper respiratory, is there a drug for that? For my own asthma albuterol isn't enough. I use Singulair to dry the secretions a bit. Else it sounds like I'm snorkeling when I increase my activity.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't fluid. Be so much easier if it was. She's been x-rayed numerous times at this point, had cardiac ultrasound, and endoscope so far. She does have early stage asthma, and has had bronchitis 3x in the past... 1.5 years. But this particular issue isn't fluid, and isn't congestion. After the endo, they're saying it's not a structural problem. But if it's none of those things - what is it? :dk: So we need a second opinion. But she hasn't been coughing, and she's having no trouble breathing through her nose. :cross:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I say fluid, I mean wet sounds vs. dry sounds. When I'm active, I have to cough up stuff constantly. Runny nose roo. In any case, nothing shows up on xray or endoscopy for me either. Does activity precipitate these episodes?

Also, what medications is she on now?

I'm not a vet nor have experience with a lot of meds with cats, but maybe someone else will have experience with a med she's on or something in someone's question/idea may help nail down what's going on with your kitty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I see what you mean now. And as someone with allergies and asthma, I also know the stuffy/drip/coughing routine. :rolleyes:

Activity doesn't precipitate these episodes. She plays just fine, no breathing or coughing problems. Purring precipitates it. And she purrs a lot. It's when she is particularly happy or excited, when she'd be "squealing" with what I call an "uber" purr that this happens. It's happening at almost every meal (she purrs in anticipation and during eating), and when lying in a warm sun spot, or on my lap in the bathroom... just generally when she's really happy. The meals is particularly disturbing though, because she can't eat until it stops. And it wouldn't be a problem if she weren't purring to start with. So where her meal is fixed first, and she used to finish her meal before I was done fixing the meals for the rest of them, she often can't even start eating now until the others are almost finished.

Her asthma is mild, and currently requires no treatment. (Knock wood).

The only medication she's on is Norvasc (amlodipine besylate), to treat her high blood pressure.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...sounds like the purring is enough activity (via the vibrations) to cause these episodes. Crazy as this may sound, does she ever seem disturbed or bothered by her purring? Such as while waiting for it to stop so she can eat?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it clearly isn't causing her pain. And the only noticeable impact on her behavior is the waiting to eat. When I'm brushing her in the bathroom, for instance, she continues to really enjoy it. If she's lying in a cat bed relaxing, for instance, she'll just stretch out her head (relaxed still) and rest it on the edge of the bed.

It's almost like some kind of .... muscle spasm that affects her purr. :dk:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think there is a reason why she is delaying her meal? Or is it that the purring is out of control? Or, she cannot purr and eat at the same time?

Again, just throwing stuff out there with hopes of nailing down what's going on! I agree, I think a second opinion may be useful.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she normally purrs while she eats. :lol3: She can't eat (apparently) during THIS purr though. She stretches her throat, as in the video. And when it calms down to a normal purr, then she comes to eat. :)

In fact, when she's so soundly asleep that she isn't waiting for a meal, I no longer call them/her for meals. That way her food is prepped, and THEN I get her up - and she doesn't have enough time to get the "revved up" purr, and she eats right away (with her normal purr. :lol3: ).

Thank you for talking this through with me. More and more, I'm thinking this must be some kind of "muscle spasm" thing related to the muscles that create the purr. No structural damage was found on physical examination - and if it was some kind of muscle spasm, that would explain that.

We'll probably go see Stan anyway, just for peace of mind. :heart2:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. Do you think maybe it's a stress purr? I've heard some people say that, that cats will purr to calm themselves down if they are stressed.
Or maybe it's some type of strange throat convulsions that cause the purr sound but actually aren't purrs?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. I doubt very much it's a stress purr. Tuxie purrs to ease his stress - it's difficult for the vet to listen to his lungs and heart, because even running water doesn't turn off his purr, and holding an alcohol pad under his nose only stops his purr for a few moments.

But Flowerbelle hasn't ever stress-purred. When she was first rescued, she purred 100% of her awake time. For years. Literally. We knew she was asleep if she wasn't purring. (As an aside, we never knew what color her eye was - her eye was always fully dilated. She was rescued Aug 2003, and it wasn't until 2006 that we could actually see any of the iris!!!) As she grew older, the amount of time she spent purring was less and less, to the point that I'd say now (at 10 years old this year), she probably purrs only about 50% of her awake time. She ALWAYS purrs while eating and playing - and she doesn't purr when she's stressed, like in the car or at the vet.

But maybe all that purring for 10 years has affected her throat muscles/abdomen that make the purr? Perhaps cats aren't "designed' to purr that much????? :dk: We get paid this week: the moment we do, the first thing I'm doing is scheduling the appointment with Stan. :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But maybe all that purring for 10 years has affected her throat muscles/abdomen that make the purr? Perhaps cats aren't "designed' to purr that much????? :dk: We get paid this week: the moment we do, the first thing I'm doing is scheduling the appointment with Stan. :lol3:
I know this is no laughing matter but this gave me a bit of a giggle :lol: to read and I also hope that maybe it is true. She is such a purr baby that maybe she has used up all of her "muscles" to do so. :dk: An interesting thing to point out to Stan. AW sweetie. I was sorry to see this thread pulled up again and that Flowerbelle is having more frequent and longer episodes. Keeping you all very close and sending mega, mega vibes that Stan will have some answers. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hard not to worry about our delightful little Flowerbelle. :heart3: :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I know. It is kind of a funny thought! I don't mind you giggling at it. :lol3: In the end, I'm not freaking because it really doesn't seem to bother her much. ...and at this point, I'm kind of doubting it's fixable - unless we should be finding ways to "stop" her purring. ??????