Online dating

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And yet another:

"Well, I am 45 years old. Live in Whitsett, Ny. I think I am more the romantic type. I guess I am a little old fashioned. I like treating people the way I would like to be treated. Such as bringing flowers to whom I am involved with just for the heck of it, and/or opening and closing the car door for her, Stuff like that. I like going to movies, hanging out with friends and/or family. Like playing basketball when I have time. All ya before I forget. If you don't like guys that love there mother's. I am not the guy for you, but if you do I am that guy. If you think we could hit it off or just be friends. me sometime, maybe we can chat or something. Later!plz kindly meet me at ********** on my yahoo instant messanger, i'll be watin for you now"

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

LOL, well Laurie, you should't judge a book by it's cover, but I see what you mean. My girl at work Debi got lots of letters like that. We all want a letter from someone who is well grammered, etc. I personally wouldn't keep up with him, but it's a shame, because my sister is the sweetest thing, but she writes kind of like that. Her grammer stinks!
It's not the broken English that is scaring me. . . . it's the cookie cutter letters (these are from con artists trying to get something - like money). They have gorgeous photos (could be male models) and they want me to contact them at another address. . . . and they are trying to pose as someone who they are not (like I said, I found one on another site - same photo, different age, location, marital status, etc.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George'smom

It's not the broken English that is scaring me. . . . it's the cookie cutter letters (these are from con artists trying to get something - like money). They have gorgeous photos (could be male models) and they want me to contact them at another address. . . . and they are trying to pose as someone who they are not (like I said, I found one on another site - same photo, different age, location, marital status, etc.
You have a good eye......keep on looking! There truly are nice, genuine guys out there.....

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please help me follow this. I don't understand. What could a con artist want at a dating site? Do they expect you to e-mail them at their separate address and eventually actually go out with them only to con you down the road out of your life savings? or does the con take place right over the net? In other words I e-mail this guy at his separate address and he asks me for personal info?
I'm just trying to understand how it works and what to watch out for.
You do have a good eye - if I ever get up the guts to try it I"m going to send all my e-mails through you for screening.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Please help me follow this. I don't understand. What could a con artist want at a dating site? Do they expect you to e-mail them at their separate address and eventually actually go out with them only to con you down the road out of your life savings? or does the con take place right over the net? In other words I e-mail this guy at his separate address and he asks me for personal info?
I'm just trying to understand how it works and what to watch out for.
You do have a good eye - if I ever get up the guts to try it I"m going to send all my e-mails through you for screening.
I've heard about people getting scammed. . . . the con artist tries to gain their trust, and then they ask them for money.

I had another e-mail that was really bad.
I thought I trashed it (just found it in my deleted folder).
Tell me if this isn't a con artist. . .

"Hon i have a little problem i was robbed and they took away all my money my pc and some other stuff and they hurt my leg and my hand so am sorry if i can't type that well so i have a little problem on coming to the states i would LOve to get a plan ticket and they stole all the money now i can't remember i dont have a Family member so i would Love u to help me in casing my money orders i brought them from the states thinking that in Nigeria i can easly get it cashed but when i got to some few Banks here they said they can't that it is an merican money orders and i went to the american embassy and they said i should issue it to my Family in the states so babe i am so sorry u are not Family but a best friend and i want u to help me i would Love to issue the money orders to u and u help me in cashing it in your Bank so u can send the money to me by via western union money"

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Laurie, is that a scam or what???????? WOW!

I've heard about people getting scammed. . . . the con artist tries to gain their trust, and then they ask them for money.

I had another e-mail that was really bad.
I thought I trashed it (just found it in my deleted folder).
Tell me if this isn't a con artist. . .

"Hon i have a little problem i was robbed and they took away all my money my pc and some other stuff and they hurt my leg and my hand so am sorry if i can't type that well so i have a little problem on coming to the states i would LOve to get a plan ticket and they stole all the money now i can't remember i dont have a Family member so i would Love u to help me in casing my money orders i brought them from the states thinking that in Nigeria i can easly get it cashed but when i got to some few Banks here they said they can't that it is an merican money orders and i went to the american embassy and they said i should issue it to my Family in the states so babe i am so sorry u are not Family but a best friend and i want u to help me i would Love to issue the money orders to u and u help me in cashing it in your Bank so u can send the money to me by via western union money"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: I responded to a couple of my "hits" and one of them seems to be a "possible". He and I have been corresponding, all week. We have a tentative date to meet for drinks, this evening.

It turns out that he works for a local software company and I have friends, who work there. I'm going to try to get in touch with them and check him out, a bit more thoroughly.

I've given details, to my friend Jen "just in case". Since I've been out of the dating scene, for a lot of years, I feel better with someone watching my back.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How fantastic Cindy, that should be fun. And boy do I know you are nervous, but you are going to have a great time if you just remember to enjoy yourself. And that was lucky that you know people he works with, a little reassuring. There is such a stigma with online dating, but I think it is great. My views are: there are millions of people in the world, how do you expect to find the one for you if your only looking in your own backyard?

Oh, and in one of my Psych classes a while back, when talking about marriage and success rates etc. we learned that relationships/marriages that were initiated from online contact have a higher success rate because in the initial stages of online meetings (i.e. messages and chats), it forces you to talk and get to know eachother instead of just reading eachother's body language or making small talk like is typical of meeting the 'normal' way. Plus when you are on a dating site, especially a paying one, the other eligibles that are there are there for the same reasons (For the most part), and you are atleast like-minded. I hope you have great luck with it and just have tons of fun!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I hope you have a GREAT time Cindy!
It's good that you may be able to get a little "inside information" first.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haven't been able to reach anyone but, my friend Jen knows where I'm going and who I'll be with. She told me to call her, if anything doesn't seem right.

Its kind of eerie, though: not only does he work somewhere, where friends of mine do but he and I have worked at the same bar at different times.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny thing about online dating - I have been getting guys allergic to cats. I finally put in my profile, "If you are allergic to cats or overly attached to your dog -I am not the girl for you because my two kittens are not going anywhere and they are not fond of dogs!"

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its a little after midnight and I'm home, safe and sound.

He's nice, smart, funny and I don't want to put a bag over his head. After that goodnight kiss, I think I need a cold shower

I DEFINITELY want to see more of this guy but, I'm not letting my hormones run the show. Somewhere, down the road, he's going to have to pass muster with the cats and dogs.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yay!
There's no feeling like that after a great first date! I'm so glad you had a good time!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Its a little after midnight and I'm home, safe and sound.

He's nice, smart, funny and I don't want to put a bag over his head. After that goodnight kiss, I think I need a cold shower

I DEFINITELY want to see more of this guy but, I'm not letting my hormones run the show. Somewhere, down the road, he's going to have to pass muster with the cats and dogs.
Terrific Cindy!