One Of My Strays Has U.t.i....need Advice !!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jjc, I had already mailed the OP Fishmox, which is Amoxicillin, along with dosing info. The kitty has been on it and is healing. Making feeding stations is a good idea. I think he's afraid of drawing attention to the fact that he's feeding the cats since it's not on his property.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking the time to write all that, if your like me caring for many cats, i know ya don't have a lot of time to sit around on the internet.........as far as eye ointment, i've been really happy with terramycin, have used it for years and you always notice a change in 24 hr where used, the only way i'd change ointments is show me something that works as good and is cheaper, terramycin is about $13 dollars for a tiny tube, but i always keep it on hand, works great on open wounds as well.......as far as anything for shelters or food storage, like i said before, i've been keeping this daily care at the dump as private as possible, have been for years, it's best for me and those cats up there, this is the short of it, i get up there daily during a time when no one is dumping garbage and feed, flea treat the one's that i can(about 6 of them), watch for wounds(that's where terramycin comes in handy) two things i can't treat for are kittymalt, and U.T.I. prevention tablets all of which i can't afford, the strays at home get the full package, but anyway, other than "Oatie", for cats living at a dump site, most look in pretty good shape....................remember i go to this dump while it's closed, there's open lots all the way around dump property but it's dense woods and the only way i'd walk in there is with snake boots. many rattlesnake and cottonmouth here..........

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
msaimee msaimee , thanks, that's the biggest thing, i don't want to draw any kind of attention weather it be human or wildlife, it's different with the strays here at the house, ..............got to get up to dump now to service everyone, at least i don't have to fight rain this morning just cold....................

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you get the Terramycin in the cats' eyes? Demi wouldn't let me put it in his eye, but I put some on a Q-tip and he let me dab the corners of his eyes where the crusties formed. It seemed to work well.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oatie Update: (Sun. morning) he was looking pretty good this morning, chiper like his old self, his weight did'nt look so far off, great appetite, just a hair damp very top of legs, lower legs were completely dry, but he's not done with his treatments yet but he's sure come a long way.................@maggiedemi, Terramycin, i always put a little on end of finger and swipe across entire eye starting at the nose and swipe outward, biggest thing during application process is how much ya have to hold cat down, some i can just pull up next to me and swipe no problem, but others ya have to bout sit on 'em.................oh, and always load two fingers with ointment, cause ya never know if your gonna get a second shot !!

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oatie Update: (Mon. morning) This will be my last update unless Oatie's status changes for the worst, he's certainly on his way to recovery, there was a time when he had the smell of death on him twice, so he's came a long way, he's still gonna get more doses of Fishmox till he's completely cleared up but i have no doubt he'll be a healthy boy here in another week or two..................want to thank all that gave advice, supplied med's and just simply viewed and keep up with Oatie's case....................it's the first time i've ever deal with full blow U.T.I. and have learned a lot and hopefully this knowledge will keep another stray from suffering in the future.............Backwoodsvet

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope Oatie continues to do well! Do keep up with the amoxicillin for awhile. :)