One has to go - Cake edition

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
All these "flavor" and "taste" got-to-go threads 😑 makes it hard for those of us who can't taste to pick, lol

But carrot is out

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds right up my alley - care to share the recipe? :please:
Of course! We like ours "spicy," so you can cut the amounts or the actual spices; although, I would suggest leaving in at least the cinnamon and nutmeg.

3/4 c granulated white sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 t vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
3 t cinnamon
½ t nutmeg
¼ t mace
½ t ginger
¼ t cardamom
1 t baking soda
¾ t salt
2 c grated carrots (I sometimes use 3)
1 c canned pumpkin purée
1/2 c chopped toasted pecans (optional)

Technically, you can add raisins, but I would never do that!

In a large bowl, beat together both sugars, eggs, oil, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate, bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, spices, baking soda, and salt. Pour dry mixture over egg mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in carrots, pumpkin, and pecans. Spread in greased 13- x 9-inch metal cake pan or two 9” round pans. Bake in center of 350°F oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, (about 25-35 minutes for round and 35-40 minutes for 13” x9”). Let cool in pan on rack.

If I use 3 c carrots, I use a paper towel to squeeze out some of the moisture. I do not do it with 2 c, but you can if you feel like it.

Frost with either cream cheese icing or ermine icing.

Here are my two recipes for both:

Fluffy Cream Cheese Icing

1c soften butter cut into 1/2" pieces
16 oz softened cream cheese cut into 1/2" pieces
2 c sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
generous pinch of salt

In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium until it is light and fluffy. Add cream cheese 1 piece at a time, making sure each piece is well incorporated before adding the next. Blend in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and sprinkle in salt. Gradually add powdered sugar. (I usually do it 1/3 at a time.)

Ermine Icing

5 T flour
1 c whole milk
1 t vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 c butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar

Over medium heat, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan. Heat to a simmer, whisking frequently until thick. Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla and salt. Put plastic wrap so that it touches the surface of the milk mixture to keep a skin from forming. Refrigerate until completely cool. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium, add the cooled milk mixture a little bit at a time. Continue to beat until the mixture becomes light and fluffy and resembles whipped cream.

Lari Lari (Just in case you want it, too!)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
ICK cake!

I don't like cake. Look, I'll make a deal with you. I've been trying to come up with an answer to the 5 gotta go fruit question and I can't because I love all fruit too much.

5 Gotta Go - Fruit Edition

How about I give up all of the cake and get to keep all of the fruit? Is that fair?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely carrot cake. Rick dearly loves carrot cake, so I will make them. But he knows that he'll have to eat at least half. The other half will go to my sister and BIL.