Once again asking for vibes / prayers / good thoughts for my little Cindy

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I hate that feeling when my cat's distressed after med's, it's so distressing and thinking of you.  You're an amazing mum, hang in there. 
  (Mouse was doing that frothing thing with his L Lysine powder last week but seems better with gel). 

How long did your vet prescribe the Metronidazole for?  You're not meant to stop antibiotics before the prescribed course (I think because it can cause what ever they are prescribed for to return and be more virulent and resistant to med's). If Cindy's that distressed and there's still quite a bit of time to go on the prescription I'd talking with the vet again. Looking the Metranidazole up on line it also looks like one of the side effects in cats and dogs can be nausea: even more reason to chat with the vet again if there's any chance it's contributing to her feeding issues. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hate that feeling when my cat's distressed after med's, it's so distressing and thinking of you.  You're an amazing mum, hang in there. 
  (Mouse was doing that frothing thing with his L Lysine powder last week but seems better with gel).

How long did your vet prescribe the Metronidazole for?  You're not meant to stop antibiotics before the prescribed course (I think because it can cause what ever they are prescribed for to return and be more virulent and resistant to med's). If Cindy's that distressed and there's still quite a bit of time to go on the prescription I'd talking with the vet again. Looking the Metranidazole up on line it also looks like one of the side effects in cats and dogs can be nausea: even more reason to chat with the vet again if there's any chance it's contributing to her feeding issues.

At first, the vet said give it to her until the original bottle was gone. Then yesterday she said keep giving it to her and gave us 2 refills on this script.  Another side effect is diarrhea - which is definitely a problem for Cindy right now (much more so than naseua).  I don't even know if she has an infection - it was prescribed before we had the diagnosis of low B12, in a desperate attempt to stop her weight loss.  We've had her tested multiple times for parasites and she's clean.  Not only does she not like the stuff, she's stressed out anticipating our giving it to her.  I felt so bad this morning, she was trying so hard to get under the bed, but I had plugged up the hole she used to get under there.  All that stress can't be good for her either.  I tried to explain that to the vet yesterday but didn't get through to her, I guess.

I'm surprised about the L Lysine powder, what kind do you use?  The one I got from the vet for Swanie, he thinks it's a treat.  I don't even have to put it in his food, he'll eat it right off the little scoop if I let him.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Mouse definitely didn't like the one I got. He was doing the hide under the bed thing too and he never does that!  Don't know what make the L Lysine was, the vet gave it to me in one of their med' bottles. I get anything that the insurance might cover straight from the vet as if I get it commercially there's even less chance it would be agreed as covered by the policy.  

It there just the one vet at the surgery that knows her?  I'd feel so unhappy if I was you in that position and no explanation of why the medication had to continue.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, Mouse definitely didn't like the one I got. He was doing the hide under the bed thing too and he never does that!  Don't know what make the L Lysine was, the vet gave it to me in one of their med' bottles. I get anything that the insurance might cover straight from the vet as if I get it commercially there's even less chance it would be agreed as covered by the policy.

It there just the one vet at the surgery that knows her?  I'd feel so unhappy if I was you in that position and no explanation of why the medication had to continue.
This is what the vet gave me - Viralys.  I just got the jar out because I couldn't remember the name, and Swanie got very excited.  So I gave him some and he's laying on the floor purring

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&catargetid=1570183676&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

As for Cindy, I think they all know her at the hospital by now, and we did call for an explanation for her med (I could have asked when I was up there talking to her, but I had other questions, and just didn't think to ask that one).  I know the vet told us originally, but I thought maybe since they found the low B12, she could stop taking it.  It's for stomach bacteria and because Cindy has been having the diarrhea, vet wanted us to keep her on it a bit longer to see if that would clear it up.  It does seem to be a little bit less than she was going, so maybe it's working.  We went back up to the formulary yesterday because the cap they gave us for the bottle was too big and every time we would try to get the dosage in the dropper, some of would leak out.  Also, the numbers on the dropper completely wore off.  So, they gave us a new cap, some new droppers, and refilled the prescription for free!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

This is what the vet gave me - Viralys.  I just got the jar out because I couldn't remember the name, and Swanie got very excited.  So I gave him some and he's laying on the floor purring

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&catargetid=1570183676&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

As for Cindy, I think they all know her at the hospital by now, and we did call for an explanation for her med (I could have asked when I was up there talking to her, but I had other questions, and just didn't think to ask that one).  I know the vet told us originally, but I thought maybe since they found the low B12, she could stop taking it.  It's for stomach bacteria and because Cindy has been having the diarrhea, vet wanted us to keep her on it a bit longer to see if that would clear it up.  It does seem to be a little bit less than she was going, so maybe it's working.  We went back up to the formulary yesterday because the cap they gave us for the bottle was too big and every time we would try to get the dosage in the dropper, some of would leak out.  Also, the numbers on the dropper completely wore off.  So, they gave us a new cap, some new droppers, and refilled the prescription for free!
I wish Mouse had liked his powder that much! 
   I guess the vet's supply was missing some key tasty ingredient.  At least he's happy with the gel. 
  If I find out the insurance doesn't cover the L Lysine from the vet I'll try the one you've sent the link for - thank you.

It is good your vet had an explanation for Cindy's antibiotic and you think there might be some improvement with the symptom.  
that continues and she doesn't need it after this prescription is finished.  I should hope you didn't have to pay for the dropper and stuff!  The markers shouldn't have worn off and if it was leaking you wouldn't have had enough to finish the prescription, good for the formulary that they didn't try to rip you off.  It makes a nice change from some stories we read. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are lucky you have insurance!  Could you get that kind through the vet if you have to?  That's where I got mine, it's just like a script.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, thanks, I'll ask them about it if Mouse starts to have a problem with the gel, or if I can't get the same gel when this lot runs out.

Yes, I am lucky as he's been insured from birth and was healthy until he started teething. Most things should be covered on that basis.   

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minor update - Cindy  had her second B12 shot today, and her weight is up from 2.6 kg to 2.68 kg.  I know it's not much, but for the past two visits it's been trending upward, where before it was trending downward, so we are ecstatic.  She's doing really, really well too, almost like our Cindy before all this started.  Still a little issue with diarrhea, but some of that could be due to the fact that they took off some of her colon in the surgery. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Go Cindy Go Cindy....  Swanie's going to have competition soon if she keeps going like this :-)  Hope the B12 keeps everything heading in the right direction.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Go Cindy Go Cindy....  Swanie's going to have competition soon if she keeps going like this :-)  Hope the B12 keeps everything heading in the right direction.

Cindy has a loooong way to go to catch up to the Swanz (who I notice is currently finishing up the food Cindy left).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cindy may have a long way to go to catch up to Swanie, but what FABULOUS NEWS! :bigthumb: :D :clap: :D :clap: I LOVE hearing that she's also feeling her old self! :dance: