OMG this guy was trying to get in...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing! You need a hug!
I'm sorry to hear about your scare tonight. I'm glad you and Zissou are alright. If it puts your mind at any ease, if he was on something, which it sounds like he was, he probably won't remember where you live or how to get back. I would take a little extra precatution and have some pepper spray on hand. I remember from a previous thread that you don't like guns, so since that isn't an option, a good pepper spray will work. Colin, my boyfriend is a police officer and was a lt. in the navy prior to that...He had to be pepper sprayed 2 times for those jobs- he said that it definitely works...and that is a very good alternative for ladies that aren't comfortable with weapons. Also, I've heard that those little fog horns work very well too- because criminals like dark and quiet atmospheres.....A loud noise like that would frighten most criminals away. I hope you can get some sleep tonight. I definitely know what it's like to deal with weirdos- i live in a really bad neighborhood...that's why i usually stay at Colin's house, his neighborhood is safe. Try to get some rest

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You poor thing!!!! I bet your housemate's feeling guilty today!! And if he's not, then he's an idiot.....

I think I have a pretty good idea of how you feel... I once had my car broken into - I got back to it, the door was ajar, and they'd raided the coins in my car. It was so minor, did barely any damage (slightly damaged a lock), and only took probably less than a dollar, but I was so scared!!!

I can only imagine what I'd be like in a situation such as yours!! Lucky you had Zissou there to keep you company.

I hope you sleep better tonight. Take care!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate's gone for the weekend actually. So it's just me and Zissou. But I feel okay. I think you guys are right that he won't remember how he got here, all the buildings are identical and I don't have anything on the door. This dude was off his head.

I mentioned that as I walked by he was trying to play with Zissou, he was actually rolling around in the grass making "cat" noises. It's weird the whole time he was more focused on Zissou than on me. Which of course made me scared and go into "angry mother" mode. If he tried anything with my cat he'd have gotten a kitchen knife in his eye.

DixieDarlin that does sound scary. That sort of thing happens on campus too, but it's usually not directed at anyone specific. They just yell things at the crowds walking to class. I don't know how I'd react in a mall with some guy just yelling at me!

StarryEyedTiger, I'm getting some pepper spray for sure after I move. This neighborhood is actually pretty safe. Next Saturday I'll be moving to an urban area.

I slept for 13 hours just now. I went to bed at 11 and just woke up, and it's noon. Gracious me, I haven't slept that long in months! Guess I was tired.

Thank you guys all. You're making me feel better!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

StarryEyedTiger, I'm getting some pepper spray for sure after I move. This neighborhood is actually pretty safe. Next Saturday I'll be moving to an urban area.

I slept for 13 hours just now. I went to bed at 11 and just woke up, and it's noon. Gracious me, I haven't slept that long in months! Guess I was tired.

Thank you guys all. You're making me feel better!
I'm glad to hear you're moving to a safer area. I hope you don't have any more problems before your move. You'll have to post some pictures of your new place when you move!
. I hope today's going better for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the new neighborhood is significantly less safe. Sorry for being unclear
. I was almost robbed at gunpoint here in late February (actually the reason me and my ex broke up, long story) and a few other people were robbed at gunpoint a couple hours after me in the same place. It was like, the story of the century. People were freaking out. (I was safe, don't worry, but don't tell my momma!)
Where I'm moving, this happens weekly. The convenience store a block down is like, robbed once a month. Thusly the pepper spray. Someone was shot to death last year in the street behind me. It's messed up. That's what you get in the University area when it's in an urban area, I guess. My apt is expensive for what it is, because its so close (the ones two blocks down are 900$/mo for a studio!) to campus but there's all this crime.

Today is going well, I'm finishing my thesis finally, just working out some formatting and citation issues.

I'll try and get you some pics of the new place, but I don't own a digital camera. The one I've been using is my roommate's. Perhaps I can scan some pics in from my camera (a 1983 Nikon, complete with massive detachable flash, and you have to adjust the lighting and everything-- I love it!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Actually the new neighborhood is significantly less safe. Sorry for being unclear
. I was almost robbed at gunpoint here in late February (actually the reason me and my ex broke up, long story) and a few other people were robbed at gunpoint a couple hours after me in the same place. It was like, the story of the century. People were freaking out. (I was safe, don't worry, but don't tell my momma!)
Where I'm moving, this happens weekly. The convenience store a block down is like, robbed once a month. Thusly the pepper spray. Someone was shot to death last year in the street behind me. It's messed up. That's what you get in the University area when it's in an urban area, I guess. My apt is expensive for what it is, because its so close (the ones two blocks down are 900$/mo for a studio!) to campus but there's all this crime.

Today is going well, I'm finishing my thesis finally, just working out some formatting and citation issues.

I'll try and get you some pics of the new place, but I don't own a digital camera. The one I've been using is my roommate's. Perhaps I can scan some pics in from my camera (a 1983 Nikon, complete with massive detachable flash, and you have to adjust the lighting and everything-- I love it!)
Well, if it's any comfort to you- i live in Memphis- a really bad part of Memphis.So sometimes it get's scarry- the main thing is to stay alert, and be prepared. If you can keep a calm and level head on you, you should do just fine. I would take some extra precautions though- Contact a local security company and see if they will give you some security stickers to put on your window- most companies will
. I know ADT does around here, even without purchasing an alarm system. Also, stick to the pepper spray idea and i would definitely purchase a fog horn too- the lound noise would detour would be criminals. Also, make sure you purchase good locks for your door and always have your keys out to go in your car or your home so that you're never digging through your purse without paying attention to your surroundings. Keep safe, and good luck with your move!
. Also, i've installed motion sensor lights around my duplex- they come on whenever someon drives up in the driveway or walks by- they're a great idea for single women. Good luck!