OMG!!! there was a bat on our living room floor!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I think it would be extremely rare to be bitten by a rabid bat in the uk.

Does kinda look like a pipistrelle and they are the most common in uk.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/291.shtml

Hope the little guy was ok. That wing looked pretty mangeled.
Yeah, I said US and didn't look about the UK. It should be impossible for a bat to be rabid in the UK as there are no rabies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Actually, I would be concerned about the possibility of rabies in the bat. Are there any bats in your area that have been positive for rabies? Are your cats current on their immunizations?

Not trying to scare you at all. But call your vet to see if he has any recommendations. There is no way to know if your cats tried to play with the visitor.
i have no idea! i didn't even know there were bat's in my area, until i saw that one! yeh, my cat's are current on their immunization's.

Originally Posted by fwan

I love bats, i think they are a beautiful creature, especially the fruit bats in Australia.

Although i would be afraid as well, we live in a rabies area so if a bat or some other weird creature entered my house here would be a high chance of it.

Call your vet
Originally Posted by CC12

Bats are pretty cool when you look at them. From. Afar. But I would lose my lunch if I ever saw one in my house.
My childhood home was old and had all of these super high ceilings and we used to get all kinds of flying creatures in our house. Including an owl. WE would not notice them until we went into a room and looked up. Once there was a bird trapped in for a few days and I could not sleep. I kept expecting it to find me and peck at my face.
Originally Posted by pixietina

aww looks like a pipestrell bat

poor bugger how on earth did he get throught the window?
i have no idea LOL!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Looks like a common Little Brown Bat - harmless, but usually if they are grounded they are sick or dying. Be very careful and I hope the cats did not get bit.

My fav bat is the Fruit Bats (or Flying Foxes) - would love to own one
Originally Posted by butzie

Here is what I found about bats on the floor on the web:

http://www.iol.ie/~corkbatgroup/care.htm

Anyway, maybe the cat did do it. Also on the web, bats are the number 1 cause of rabies in humans in the US, so be careful.
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I think it would be extremely rare to be bitten by a rabid bat in the uk.

Does kinda look like a pipistrelle and they are the most common in uk.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/291.shtml

Hope the little guy was ok. That wing looked pretty mangeled.
Originally Posted by butzie

Yeah, I said US and didn't look about the UK. It should be impossible for a bat to be rabid in the UK as there are no rabies.
sooo, should i be worried then?