Older Cat Has Drawn Blood

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been trying to be really careful introducing my 4-year-old LK to my 13-week old Ruby. LK has been sick but is doing better. We have had a few supervised visits between the cats after following all the steps. Unfortunately Ruby is proving to be a major pest, she bats at LK’s head and even chases her. Needless to say their visits have been short. Unfortunately, they got away from me today, and what had been relatively peaceful ended up with the kitten getting a bloody ear.
Help me C calicosrspecial & @Mamanyt1953 !

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally older cats are quite tolerant of kittens since they can tell by their scent that they are just babies. They will teach them manners though. Whacking the kitten in the head or grabbing its back with teeth when the older cat's patience runs thin does teach the kitten boundaries.

My senior never broke my kitten's skin, but he certainly did bop her in the head a few times before she learned that non-stop stalking and pouncing on him was not cool. He also pinned her down with his jaws after he had enough of her antics. I did keep them on short supervised visits, like you are doing, until the kitten learned some manners and they could be in the room together respecting each other's space.

If the scratch wound isn't serious enough to need stitches, then just clean it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Keep doing what you're doing: short supervised visits, gradually extending the time. The kitten will learn when to stop the hyper-active play with LK soon enough.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What exactly happened? Did Ruby run up to LK and LK give a bite or swat?

How did they act after the fight? Any hiding, not eating, walking lower, etc?

I tend to be more cautious and the fact LK did draw blood makes me think we need to take it slower. I think I would just keep them separated for now, feeding on the opposite sides of the gate. Making those encounters as positive as possible distracting each of them so the other knows the other cat is not a threat. I want LK to be a little more "immune" to Ruby when they meet next time.

I would like to understand exactly what happened and how they were after the encounter.

Don't worry, intros are always a challenge so I am not worried. We will get them to get along.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add that playing with both cats one on one before letting them interact. I would even go so far as to play with the kitten, give the kitten a couple of treats & wait 10 minutes. That way when they are together the kitten has less hyper energy. Since cats hunt, catch, eat, groom then sleep ..... you would be setting your kitten up to be in the groom/sleep zone when they interact. It will also help drain your older cat of nervous energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you danteshuman danteshuman & C calicosrspecial !

Basically, what happened was that the cats slipped past me into a place where I have less control over them, because there are a bunch of musical instruments set up. The kitten started to kind of bop LK on the head, but I was unable to redirect her. I tried to get them, but first Ruby chased LK (who meowed as she ran) then LK chased her back into the main part of the house and under the sofa.

At that point LK must have scratched her—she has no teeth so it had to be claws. After that I had some totally normal parallel play with two wand toys before I noticed the blood.

After this, they seemed pretty okay but maybe slightly skittish—not super freaked out. We were out of town all day, so they were apart. Now we’re home and they are the same. Ruby is getting sort of bitey and scratchy in play, so I have to work on that. Anyway that’s about it.

I totally appreciate both of your suggestions and have been trying to do the “play first” concept for a few days—but Ruby’s a real ticket so I don’t always do enough. Thanks so much and happy New Year!

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

That doesn't sound too bad. Pretty normal.

If LK is starting to swat under a couch at her just try to redirect her. Call her name, tell her it is ok. Try to stay as calm and confident as possible to try to diffuse the situation. Then Ruby may go after LK again after LK focuses on something positive so just try to distract Ruby. The key is to distract and keep it playful before it gets into something with a little more aggression.

With Ruby, that is kitten stuff. What I do is say "ouch" and "no" in a firm disappointed voice (not yelling) but communicating that it hurt. The cat will usually understand that is something not good to do. Make sure the toy is the only goal for Ruby as hands and legs etc are off limits. So keep her focus on the toy.

The fact they reverted back to normal pretty quickly is a good sign. That tells me that they both know it was play that got a little out of hand rather than something to fear (real aggression).

Don't worry, it sounds pretty normal. Just keep up with the plan (positive association, lots of play, every encounter as positive as possible, etc). LK will try to teach her manners and Ruby will do what kittens do (be wild and not always "get the message") but we'll get there.

Happy new year!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much and Happy New Year C calicosrspecial !
They’ve been pretty good today, so we seem to be back on track for the moment. Best wishes and thanks again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

There are always ups and downs but I have no doubt you will succeed. You have the knowledge and you have the desire and make the effort. That is the key. Things will work out.