Cat ate my matcha cake

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to a cat cafe and ordered a matcha flavored cake. When I went to the comfort room, I came back seeing one of the cats chomping on my cake. Will he be fine? He ate around 2-3 bites.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you tell the staff there? You should definitely let them know, just so they can be aware of it and monitor the cat who ate it for any bad reaction just incase. Matcha is high in caffeine so it’s definitely dangerous for cats, but who knows how much was in those few bites, so he could be fine/just have an upset tummy or something… but yeah, I’d tell them just to be on the safe side.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a cat cafe and ordered a matcha flavored cake. When I went to the comfort room, I came back seeing one of the cats chomping on my cake. Will he be fine? He ate around 2-3 bites.
A small amount of matcha should be of no concern as it is not toxic to cats however it does contain a little caffeine - I don't believe in 2 or 3 bites there's anything to worry about - however ,what other ingredients are in the cake,any chocolate? Chocolate is toxic,check the other ingredients for toxicity,the ASPCA has complete lists of things that are toxic to cats

You did say ' cat cafe"? Does that mean cats are allowed or they sell treats for cats?

If the cake is for humans you need to know what's in it besides matcha flavoring

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds lovely- so it seems you can bring your own cats too?
Yes they are great, nothing like getting swarmed by a dozen friendly kitties lol. But no, you can’t bring your own cat to them, at least not where I live (my Moose was at a cat cafe via his rescue group) because that would be a safety risk re: fighting and viruses and stuff. I believe an adoptable cat at the cafe ate some of OP’s matcha cake, which is why my advice was to let the staff know just to be safe.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they are great, nothing like getting swarmed by a dozen friendly kitties lol. But no, you can’t bring your own cat to them, at least not where I live (my Moose was at a cat cafe via his rescue group) because that would be a safety risk re: fighting and viruses and stuff. I believe an adoptable cat at the cafe ate some of OP’s matcha cake, which is why my advice was to let the staff know just to be safe.
Ah,I believe you're right- they did say " one of the cats" .- mmmm

Yes,see ,I didn't know what a cat cafe is so that's why I didn't get it- also why I wondered why you suggested alerting the staff - all makes sense now,lol

Thanks for the info,Im old - had no clue about cat cafes - rofl,Id love to visit one but that would be dangerous for me - I cannot visit with kitties that need homes,my house is at Max capacity ,lol

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah,I believe you're right- they did say " one of the cats" .- mmmm

Yes,see ,I didn't know what a cat cafe is so that's why I didn't get it- also why I wondered why you suggested alerting the staff - all makes sense now,lol

Thanks for the info,Im old - had no clue about cat cafes - rofl,Id love to visit one but that would be dangerous for me - I cannot visit with kitties that need homes,my house is at Max capacity ,lol
Haha no worries, they are quite a new thing in North America/most western countries but have been super popular in parts of Asia and especially Japan for ages. Great concept that helps fast track adoptions for rescue kitties for exactly the reason you mentioned, people can’t resist when they form a connection with a kitty that needs a home. There’s only one near where I live so I had to “just check it out”. I had zero plans to adopt another cat at the time but one of the rescue workers was there and told me all about this shy cat loving cat who has been there for 5 months that wouldn’t come down off the wall climber to meet any of the people. I thought about him all that night and was back applying for him the next day loool

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a slice-for-cup comparison with coffee, the amount of caffeine in a slice of matcha cake is equal to about a half of a cup of coffee. That would be about 50 mg. in a slice of cake and about 100 mg. in a slice of coffee.

The lethal dose (LD50) for caffeine in cats is around 100 mg./kg. A ten pound cat would need to consume 450 mg. of caffeine to get a lethal dose. (These are all averages for normal, healthy cats.)

It doesn't seem like the cat ate enough caffeine laced cake to make them sick but I'm sure that the cat is going to be quite buzzed!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise